I would like to hear the arguments of Garrett supporters

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
I really don't care one way or the other as to whether they keep Garrett as coach after this season.

I learned here after Sundays game Garrett is a horrible coach who should have had the OC call strictly run plays without the pass option nursing a small lead late in the game. Cowboys lost.

2 years ago I learned here that Garrett is a horrible coach who should had the called for a pass at least once instead of 3 straight runs while nursing a small lead late in the game. Cowboys lost.

Like I said keep him, fire him, no skin off my back.

But I learned something else here at the 'zone this week..... no matter what he does he's wrong.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
This thread was in the Fan Zone for quite a while, I didn't even notice it got moved (not sure why it got moved but anyway. .) I know you said you won't reply anymore, but what do you think about us essentially abandoning the run in the 2nd half?

That we shouldn't have. Bad clock management. Bad game management. Don't care who made that call. They have to learn from it.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess I need to change my name to Voldemort. I knew he was talking about me just like you did. Had to be pointed to this thread by someone else. They knew who he was talking about too. I don't read this forum here, just the Fan Zone.

My opinion has not changed. Nor has my optimism waned. We're going to win the NFC East. We're going to go into Fed Ex in a sea of blue because Commanders fans have given up, and we are going to have a home game atmosphere. Then we're going to come home and take care of business. I honestly believe this, and I don't care who disagrees. I am entitled to my opinions just as they are to theirs.

The problem with this is you don't have an opinion. You simply support whatever the team is doing at the present time.

We share a yahoo pickem league. You've picked the Cowboys to win every single game. 14-0. You're one of those look how much of a fan I am, we'll never lose kind of guys. No opinion. You're not actually analyzing the game like you're certainly capable of. I've always given you credit for your intelligence. You just don't use it when the subject is the state of the Dallas Cowboys.

So it shouldn't matter to anyone that it is your "opinion" that the status quo is the right course for the Cowboys. Sure it is. When has it ever not been? I'm sure you'll point back to the past when you weren't hopeful but nobody reading this will remember those comments at that time. Because they never happened.

I'm talking to a guy that has actually had to resort to preaching the irrelevance of General Managers in a football organization. Heck, in any organization. Because you know the Cowboys are saddled with the worse one in the sports world with no hope of changing it. So what to do? I know. Pretend they don't matter.

Attention fans - The guy responsible for all staff and player acquisitions does not have any impact on a sports franchise.

You will say anything you can to defend whatever is going on with the Cowboys at that time. You see this as some kind of loyalty test. First one to admit the Cowboys are a bad team loses.

You don't have an opinion. You have Jerry's opinion.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
If this much conversation has to take place about how bad a HC is, chances are he's not a very good head coach.

Kilyin

Reaction score
The problem with this is you don't have an opinion. You simply support whatever the team is doing at the present time.

We share a yahoo pickem league. You've picked the Cowboys to win every single game. 14-0. You're one of those look how much of a fan I am, we'll never lose kind of guys. No opinion. You're not actually analyzing the game like you're certainly capable of. I've always given you credit for your intelligence. You just don't use it when the subject is the state of the Dallas Cowboys.

So it shouldn't matter to anyone that it is your "opinion" that the status quo is the right course for the Cowboys. Sure it is. When has it ever not been? I'm sure you'll point back to the past when you weren't hopeful but nobody reading this will remember those comments at that time. Because they never happened.

I'm talking to a guy that has actually had to resort to preaching the irrelevance of General Managers in a football organization. Heck, in any organization. Because you know the Cowboys are saddled with the worse one in the sports world with no hope of changing it. So what to do? I know. Pretend they don't matter.

Attention fans - The guy responsible for all staff and player acquisitions does not have any impact on a sports franchise.

You will say anything you can to defend whatever is going on with the Cowboys at that time. You see this as some kind of loyalty test. First one to admit the Cowboys are a bad team loses.

To be fair, I'm in the same Pickem League, and I always pick the Cowboys. Not necessarily because I think they will win every game, but because they're an enigmatic/talented enough of a team that they could. Also, bad mojo.

That doesn't mean I can't objectively look at my team and see all the shortcomings and awful coaching/management.

Also, I'm already beating you in said Pickem' League -- just think how many more points I could be ahead of you if I didn't always pick my team.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If this much conversation has to take place about how bad a HC is, chances are he's not a very good head coach.

Not necessarily. The HC is the personification of the team, and this reaction is a referendum on the season (or last several seasons, more likely). The same things was going on in PHI, I'm sure, during Andy Reid's last season.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I had no intention of answering anything here, but I am so tired of this accusation it is not funny. I never backed this team going with Q or Hutch at QB. You know this. I was the guy who compared them to diarrhea and constipation.

I never backed Dave Campo as head Coach. Didn't back Chan Gailey or Barry Switzer either. In fact I have called the post Super Bowl XXX interview with Jerry and Barry, "We did it! We did it! We did it our way baby!" one of the worst moments of my life as a Cowboys fan. I meant it too. We had just won a Super Bowl, and I was disgusted by the Head Coach.

I predicted when we hired Barry Switzer as HC that players would start running into troubles with the law. Though I did not support the hiring of Chan Gailey, I think he got a raw deal. I called Rob Ryan the "Spawn of Buddy," and also said he got a raw deal by getting fired while on vacation.

I wanted Jason Garrett over Wade Phillips in 2007, and made that clear from the word go. Yet despite that, I never called for Wade to be fired until the Green Bay loss. That's right, the biggest Garrett supporter in Cowboys land didn't throw Wade Phillips under the bus, and still respects Wade as a football man.

I don't think we blitz near enough, and when we do it is right into blockers way too often. Further I said earlier in this thread that I think abandoning the run against Green Bay was wrong, regardless of whose idea it was. In fact, before the second half started I told people that Murray only needed 64 yards to reach 1000 for the season and I openly hoped we'd give him the ball, kill the clock, and get him there in that game with 2 to go.

Finally I am easily the biggest hater of the "50th Anniversary Season" that has ever lived. In fact, someone gave me a jersey with that patch on it as a gift, and I threw it away. I am disgusted that we celebrated a stadium while every AFL team who came into professional football the exact same year we did, celebrated an anniversary. I am disgusted that the Vikings celebrated a 50th anniversary in the exact same year we did despite the fact they joined the NFL a year after we did. I am disgusted that we celebrated a silver anniversary in 1984, and a golden anniversary 26 years later instead of 25 years later. I don't give a damn who thinks that stuff doesn't matter. It does matter to me.

Yes, I pick the Cowboys to win every week. Who the **** cares? If it bothers you Brian, don't look at who I predict to win, and your panties won't bunch up. I would never, under any circumstance pick against the Cowboys, not even with a gun to my head, and I really don't give a rat's *** if you approve of that or not, so shut the hell up.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
PLEASE REFRAIN FROM THE INSULTS - ONLY WARNING.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't stand his lack of game management skills. Also, as mentioned earlier, it doesn't seem like he gives us any particular advantage being HC. He struggles to find creative ways to get Dez the ball. He refuses to run the ball. His game management skills are lackluster to say the least. I'm done with him.

There will be more than one coach let go this offseason. Count on it.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score

While I don't agree with Hos on Garrett. I don't think he's the right guy anymore and I don't believe he's getting any better. That said to act like he does nothing but agree with whatever the Cowboys are doing is false and frankly seems like nothing more than baiting to try and start an argument for nothing.

And pick ems? LMAO!!! Who the hell ever actually picks their favorite team to lose? I've said Dallas would lose the Bears and Packers game and I still picked them. I can't imagine what that has to do with anything.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While I don't agree with Hos on Garrett. I don't think he's the right guy anymore and I don't believe he's getting any better. That said to act like he does nothing but agree with whatever the Cowboys are doing is false and frankly seems like nothing more than baiting to try and start an argument for nothing.

Yep. There's a gulf between liking everything and disagreeing with criticism that you think is unfair. If you're a generally-positive guy, you're going to talk more about the positives and not linger on the negatives. That does not mean you don't see or acknowledge some of the obvious negatives. This team hasn't been a real contender since 2009. We're obviously not going everything right.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And pick ems? LMAO!!! Who the hell ever actually picks their favorite team to lose?

Any adult fan.

As for Hostile, we're talking about a guy who came on this board and announced that the 2012 offseason HAD to be about getting aggressive to add a formidable offensive line in front of Romo. At all cost. Because we couldn't waste any more years of Romo without a proper line.

Then when we didn't, when we did the opposite in fact, he was right here telling us how excited he was with the offseason additions and the prospects for 2013.

No consistency there. If they HAD to do this and didn't, you shouldn't be telling me how great the offseason was.

Some will call this an attack. Adults will call it the truth.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I guess I should be flattered that someone cares about who I pick enough to look. I personally have never done that, and I certainly wouldn't be making notes of how that person picks for or against the Cowboys. For the record I almost always also pick the Commanders, Giants, and Eagles to lose. I couldn't give you percentages on how often, but maybe he can. It sounds like that is the criteria for adulthood in some minds. My criteria for adulthood centers around age and responsibility, not a pick em game that I play for fun and don't care where I end up placing. Just not that invested in that contest or game I guess. Nor upon the thoughts of others enough to invent reasons to dislike and harangue them.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Guys, tell us some more about how you feel about each other, instead of talking football, ok? It's really fun for the rest of us to hear what Risen and Hos talked about sometime last year. The details about the pick 'em league none of the rest of us are in or care about were especially riveting. 14-0? You don't say?

Now I know how the rest of you feel when Risen and I go around and around about last offseason's Great Offensive Guard Debate. Feel free to slap me the next time I get caught up in doing that. :)

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
From a purely analytical perspective, Garrett would be a fascinating case study. He loses in ways so improbable you wouldn't think them possible, and he does it often.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Since we're in the Rant Zone, I'll go ahead with a full blown rant.

"Injuries" are not an argument to keep Jason Garrett. They may be a mitigating circumstance in the presence of a legitimate argument, but they do not, in any way, speak to his quality as a coach. Regardless of the injury situation, after three years, we should have some evidence Garrett is a good coach. We don't. Instead, we have specious game management and a series of highly improbable losses that have kept the Cowboys out of the playoffs.

What's clear as day now is that Garrett should not have been hired in the first place. This was the wrong situation for him. If the Cowboys had been a team in complete rebuilding mode without a franchise quarterback, the Garrett hire might have made sense. He could've grown with them. Unfortunately, the Cowboys weren't that team. Instead, they were a team loaded at the skill positions and fielding the most prolific passer in franchise history in the prime of his career-- a career that's been squandered waiting for Garrett to "figure it out."

That's criminal.

Status
Not open for further replies.