I would love it if the Cowboys didn't draft until Friday

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Which means we'd be acquiring extra ammo to get players to fill in roster spots we didn't fill in free agency. This is the cheaper option than the expensive route. Remember you build your team through the draft, NOT in free agency!

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
You need 3-4 starters. The rest of depth / future starters etc.

Trading down you are less likely to land a starter.
When was the last time ANY team got 4 starters while having all this talent on the roster that Jerry keeps talking about?

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
200.webp

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
You need 3-4 starters. The rest of depth / future starters etc.

Trading down you are less likely to land a starter.
exactly so you'd rather have the option to not at least get a trade, and pick before where you're picking, then to also have the chance to get better talent at these spots? The goal is to get more, we have so many needs, have lost so many players

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Lions drafted Gibbs, LaPorta, Campbell, Branch last year.

…. but that had a bunch of early picks?

Rams drafted Steve Avila, Byron Young, Kobie Turner, Puka Nacua, Trevius Hodges-Tomlinson
Rams had a great draft last year and I don’t think they did any trading to do it though correct me if I’m wrong..

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
exactly so you'd rather have the option to not at least get a trade, and pick before where you're picking, then to also have the chance to get better talent at these spots? The goal is to get more, we have so many needs, have lost so many players
Trading down to acquire more picks has not proven to get you anymore talent than standing pat. The more picks you get the more busts there are.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Exactly. Trading away from talent because you want to get cute is not the way to go.
Do you all not understand where we're picking at???? Then to add we don't have a 4th round pick. I'd sure like to get a player at 30 or 40 than our next pick at 50 something, wouldn't you??? I never said these players are going to be superstars or super starting players

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I want them to trade back but still have that 1st. That fifth year is really important (especially the way the Cowboys handle contracts). If they do that and the board falls the right way they can potentially get four starters.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Trading down to acquire more picks has not proven to get you anymore talent than standing pat. The more picks you get the more busts there are.
Which may be true, but we've lost a lot of players that we have to replace, we're counting on a lot of guys who didn't play much last season, so what's really the difference???

Hell i'd rather have a 2-7 round bust than a 1st round bust lol

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I want them to trade back but still have that 1st. That fifth year is really important (especially the way the Cowboys handle contracts). If they do that and the board falls the right way they can potentially get four starters.
On here you're not allowed to get starters in the draft

HungryLion

Reaction score
Which means we'd be acquiring extra ammo to get players to fill in roster spots we didn't fill in free agency. This is the cheaper option than the expensive route. Remember you build your team through the draft, NOT in free agency!
I’m fine with trading down a little bit. But it’s no guarantee of anything.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Well, Coog we should all blame the CBA for the contractual restrictions and short term to a return on investment.
Meaning that it's to the point now and has been that contracts run out quick in this league and you better find out asap what you have in your rooks.
Parcells used to say 3 years and done if you don't bother to show up.
That term is probably reduced a bit now, this roster needed a churning badly, in the worst way.
They need to contribute or at least show something inspiring or get out of the way.

Chasing6

Reaction score
What free agency?

Don't be surprised when GM Jethro starts trading away next years picks.