I would love it if the Cowboys didn't draft until Friday

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The sad part is if good talent is there and Jerry doesn’t feel it’s a need and of course the strange draft board rankings he uses there’s no telling what he will do he did trade down when MP was available so his board had him lower. If who Jerry wants isn’t there then anything can happen
Yeah it’s smarter to take the best player and not reach just because of need….it bites you in the ***…

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Which means we'd be acquiring extra ammo to get players to fill in roster spots we didn't fill in free agency. This is the cheaper option than the expensive route. Remember you build your team through the draft, NOT in free agency!
You must love average players because our best chance of hitting on a great player is in the first round. I prefer quality over quantity. We’ve missed on a number of players in the second round. We ended up with 12 draft picks in 2009 and none of them panned out due to trading down. The more you trade down the more of a crapshoot the draft becomes. Extra picks doesn’t mean you’ll be able to fill roster spots because some of those players won’t make the team. We need to nail our first two picks.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Which means we'd be acquiring extra ammo to get players to fill in roster spots we didn't fill in free agency. This is the cheaper option than the expensive route. Remember you build your team through the draft, NOT in free agency!
I agree, JJ could land a high 2nd and PLUS a 3rd or 4th rd pick for the 24th pick that JJ probably would use on another Michigan bust!

Cmac

Reaction score
I would love to discover our Scout/Draft Team have viewed more programs than Michigan.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
You must love average players because our best chance of hitting on a great player is in the first round. I prefer quality over quantity. We’ve missed on a number of players in the second round. We ended up with 12 draft picks in 2009 and none of them panned out due to trading down. The more you trade down the more of a crapshoot the draft becomes. Extra picks doesn’t mean you’ll be able to fill roster spots because some of those players won’t make the team. We need to nail our first two picks.
What good are our players doing?????? A lot of our players are average just look at the GB game, start there!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What good are our players doing?????? A lot of our players are average just look at the GB game, start there!
Parsons didn’t play well against Green Bay. Are you calling him average? Just because you play a bad game doesn’t mean you have average players. :rolleyes:

Jipper

Reaction score
I agree, JJ could land a high 2nd and PLUS a 3rd or 4th rd pick for the 24th pick that JJ probably would use on another Michigan bust!
i would rather get a future 1st and a few mid rounders this year...

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Parsons didn’t play well against Green Bay. Are you calling him average? Just because you play a bad game doesn’t mean you have average players. :rolleyes:
Ok and just because you make trades and try to acquire more talent EARLY in the draft doesn't mean that all of those guys are going to be bad!!! I could see if I said make moves in the 4th-7th :facepalm:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Ok and just because you make trades and try to acquire more talent EARLY in the draft doesn't mean that all of those guys are going to be bad!!! I could see if I said make moves in the 4th-7th :facepalm:
I’m not saying it means all of them will be bad but moving out of the first round decreases your chances of drafting a great player with your first pick. Most of our great players in the history of the organization were drafted in the first round. We’ve drafted three players in the first round since 2011 that will likely end up in the HOF. Possibly four players if CeeDee continues to produce. We’ve missed on a number of second round picks. Like I said the further you move back the less likely we’ll hit on a real good player. I would rather trade down later in the draft.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I agree with you. We need to do more with 6 picks. If we can trade down to make it 7 or 8 picks, it's one way to do more.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Lions drafted Gibbs, LaPorta, Campbell, Branch last year.

…. but that had a bunch of early picks?

Rams drafted Steve Avila, Byron Young, Kobie Turner, Puka Nacua, Trevius Hodges-Tomlinson
Gibbs wasn't a starter

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Lions drafted Gibbs, LaPorta, Campbell, Branch last year.

…. but that had a bunch of early picks?

Rams drafted Steve Avila, Byron Young, Kobie Turner, Puka Nacua, Trevius Hodges-Tomlinson
And also did the Lions not draft all those players in the first 2 rounds? We don't have that luxury, people really believing we're getting 4 starters is hilarious. The rams had an awesome draft for sure. My point was that the likelihood of us getting 4 starters is very very very slim.