I'd feel a whole lot better with Rico and Dez

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He is the best catching TE on the roster. All of them are blockers and below average catchers.

Right now, Swaim is the only blocker. Jarwin is a good route runner and catcher. Not much of a blocker. Schultz isn't much of anything right now, blocking or catching. He's looking like a bad pick right now. Development potential, but we already had lots of development potential. We needed a guy who could block today.

Rico is the best for the contested catch and jump ball. Just learn to block, Rico. That's how you get on the field this year.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
At this point in his career, Dez doesn’t bring anything Hurns doesn’t bring.

But Dez brings things that Williams doesn't. The base offense gets better with Dez as a starter.

But I'm not looking back. We saved money and headaches, got younger, and have Williams, Gallup, and Austin all looking better than expected.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Dez is not coming back people and rightfully so. Plus there's less pressure on Dak trying to force balls to him to keep him from pouting on the sideline.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Rico is a receiving threat, a natural athlete, an amazing weapon for the passing game and one of a kind TE talent. If he somehow gets cut, he will get picked up by another team and succeed elsewhere. Sort of like when the Minnesota Twins gave up on David Ortiz, then he got picked up by the Red Sox and the rest is history.

And also Dez would make our offense so damn amazing right now. My heart still aches from that roster move. Dez, Gallup, TWill, Cole and Rico. With this line, with Zeke, with Dak, and now with our amazing defense. What a waste!

bahahaha. Prediction... we keep 3 TE's and Rico looks for a job. Prediction.... Dezzie loo swallows a mouthfull of pride and plays for the Browns, if they'll have him

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Right now, Swaim is the only blocker. Jarwin is a good route runner and catcher. Not much of a blocker. Schultz isn't much of anything right now, blocking or catching. He's looking like a bad pick right now. Development potential, but we already had lots of development potential. We needed a guy who could block today.

Rico is the best for the contested catch and jump ball. Just learn to block, Rico. That's how you get on the field this year.

Schultz is simply too small right now to be a big-time contributor. He needs at least a year in the weight room, and about 15-20 lbs. of added bulk to become a factor. He gets pushed into the backfield like he's on skates when blocking, and can't break tackles due to his light weight. The earliest we should start judging the value of the Schultz pick is this time next year. Keep in mind that he was the 137th pick in the draft. While technically he's a 4th round pick due to compensatory selections, in a 32 pick per round draft, he'd be the 9th pick in the 5th round. He's the equivalent of Matt Johnson in draft status.

Schultz is listed as 4th on the depth chart at TE, and will likely be inactive for all the games unless he can contribute on special teams. He has the frame to add bulk, and the potential to develop into a good player; but, that potential is at least a year away, if not two years. Schultz is also just a rookie, and the other 3 players have more developmental time on the roster.

There are still 2 weeks to go before the end of the preseason, and Gathers could make a late push for a roster spot. By all reports, he's very serious this year about becoming a better blocker. Right now, Swaim is the starter, and Jarwin looks to be a vital part of the passing offense. So, we'll see what happens.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Rico’s one flash play doesn’t make up for the others where he’s not executing the right assignment. Jerry coming out and saying he does well “when he blocks the right guy is telling”

And everyone hated Witten not being able to move, why now are you ok with Rico who has trouble getting separation vs 3rd stringers in 4th quarter of preseason games?

I’m surprised he hasn’t been in the red zone with the first team as a goal line threat. That’s an indication he’s made the team and they’re saving that for Carolina or he’s so far down the depth chart he can’t even get in for those plays

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Rico I love, but why isn't he starting? I don't understand why our writers are hinting his departure from the team.

Because he is an idiot. Rico can catch but doesn't know the playbook after 2 years on the team. He also is terrible at blocking which is what we ask our TE's to do 80% of the time.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I don't think Gathers has what it takes. He just looks good on occasion vs. backups.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Same can be said.about these other guys. You want to see.flashes and I've seen more flashes from him than the other guys.
I haven't. He on occasion will make a very athletic play, but fundamentally wise, he's just not there IMO.

staubach24

Reaction score
Wish he could block better
And there is your answer. I'm reading these other posts and you are among the few to mention it:BLOCKING. He is hands down the best recieving TE that we have. But if you are TE on this team, you're a blocker first and a reciever 2nd. With that said, I think he is a hidden gem of a pass catcher, and would be a big miss if we let him go. He reminds me of Kellen Winslow Sr.(somebody else who hated to block), but played in the Air-Coryell system, which allowed for his style of play and consequently made him a HOF'er