I'd feel a whole lot better with Rico and Dez

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And there is your answer. I'm reading these other posts and you are among the few to mention it:BLOCKING. He is hands down the best recieving TE that we have. But if you are TE on this team, you're a blocker first and a reciever 2nd. With that said, I think he is a hidden gem of a pass catcher, and would be a big miss if we let him go. He reminds me of Kellen Winslow Sr.(somebody else who hated to block), but played in the Air-Coryell system, which allowed for his style of play and consequently made him a HOF'er
nobody knows how well he can block when he hasn't even gotten enough pt to show it.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
How do you even know what Rico can do when he's not even getting playing time? His blocking has been fine on run plays.
How do you know? What makes you think he can get a spot? Potential? Because if he's not getting opportunities that tells you sometime.

Section446

Reaction score
Dez is a bum, has been a bum, and will be a bum in the future. Dropping his sorry *** is the best move we've made in YEARS.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Schultz is simply too small right now to be a big-time contributor. He needs at least a year in the weight room, and about 15-20 lbs. of added bulk to become a factor. He gets pushed into the backfield like he's on skates when blocking, and can't break tackles due to his light weight. The earliest we should start judging the value of the Schultz pick is this time next year. Keep in mind that he was the 137th pick in the draft. While technically he's a 4th round pick due to compensatory selections, in a 32 pick per round draft, he'd be the 9th pick in the 5th round. He's the equivalent of Matt Johnson in draft status.

Schultz is listed as 4th on the depth chart at TE, and will likely be inactive for all the games unless he can contribute on special teams. He has the frame to add bulk, and the potential to develop into a good player; but, that potential is at least a year away, if not two years. Schultz is also just a rookie, and the other 3 players have more developmental time on the roster.

There are still 2 weeks to go before the end of the preseason, and Gathers could make a late push for a roster spot. By all reports, he's very serious this year about becoming a better blocker. Right now, Swaim is the starter, and Jarwin looks to be a vital part of the passing offense. So, we'll see what happens.

I think we can make some judgments on the Schultz pick today.

Do you pick a guy who can't contribute today, and doesn't have a particularly high upside, with a bottom of the 4th pick?

I say no.

Maybe they thought he was better than he was. It happens. But right now, Schultz is a quality PS player. That's it. We spent too much on that.

I'm encouraged that Rico has finally figured out that he needs to focus on blocking. And annoyed with the coaching staff that it took this long. This was obvious from day one. Getting route trees and route running takes a lot of college WR stars a long time in the NFL. Rico was not going to pick that up overnight. But we've turned LBs into FBs in an offseason. With Rico's physical advantages over NFL TEs, he should be a decent blocker by now.

Sounds like Jarwin gives us something. A little in line blocking, a little FB blocking, and our best receiving TE right now. A cross between Olawale and Swaim, with better route running than each.

I don't see Swaim as the starter, as I would be playing 3 wide with Beasley routinely, and go with Olawale/Jarwin as the 5th. I think that gets our best unit on the field. Or 4 wide might be our best unit, with the emergence of Austin.

staubach24

Reaction score
nobody knows how well he can block when he hasn't even gotten enough pt to show it.
What!!! You earn your playing time by what you show on the practice field. Don't you think, given his offensive capabilities, that the only reason he isn't the clear starter is because he doesn't block well?

lukin2006

Reaction score
Rico is a receiving threat, a natural athlete, an amazing weapon for the passing game and one of a kind TE talent. If he somehow gets cut, he will get picked up by another team and succeed elsewhere. Sort of like when the Minnesota Twins gave up on David Ortiz, then he got picked up by the Red Sox and the rest is history.

And also Dez would make our offense so damn amazing right now. My heart still aches from that roster move. Dez, Gallup, TWill, Cole and Rico. With this line, with Zeke, with Dak, and now with our amazing defense. What a waste!

Dez was never worth the contract he received. Dez was a cancer, glad he's gone. Rico can not block, don't see him making the team...

Techsass

Reaction score
I didn't think he'd be a starter right out of the gate, but I was expecting a lot more from Schultz.
Swaim actually looked better yesterday than I expected.
Jarwin looked pretty good & obviously is well liked by the coaches from interviews I've heard.
Rico may be a one trick pony, but that's one heck of a trick.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What!!! You earn your playing time by what you show on the practice field. Don't you think, given his offensive capabilities, that the only reason he isn't the clear starter is because he doesn't block well?
They said the same thing about Dak. Some guys play better when the lights are on.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dez was released on April 13th. 12 days later, it was reported he'd turned down an offer from the Ravens. Dez isn't unsigned because no one was interested. Dez is unsigned by his own choice.
Did you really think Dez was going to accept an offer for half of what he was going to make with the Cowboys this year? Especially after he said he wouldn't take a pay cut? Yes it was an offer. And Dez was likely highly offended by how low it was. So saying he is unsigned by his own choice is right but doesn't paint a picture of the whole story.

Kaiser

Reaction score
This is new and I think all 4 have good traits that can help us win. Just have to put each of them in a position to succeed

I agree, I just thought that the three non-Swaim guys would be further along. Jarwin and Schultz clearly have upside but I thought they would already be ahead of Swaim at this point.

I went back and watched the last few minutes and saw the Rico catch, I'm still really torn on the guy. That catch is something only a couple of guys in the NFL can do, but you also read he made a bad mistake in his route running. Broaddus had a tweet saying "he has no idea idea what he is doing", which is pretty strong for a guy that usually tweets platitudes.

I think the best thing for Rico would be another redshirt year where he has a minor injury and they keep him on IR all year. He has too much talent to cut loose but he still isn't ready for a roster spot. Frustrating.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
He is suddenly going to start getting seperation now?

He is suddenly going to train to get those high throws like he USED to do?

He is suddenly going to stop being a distraction?

He is suddenly going to start running crisp routes?

There are several reasons he isn't signed now. And he isn't coming back to the Cowboys. Thank goodness.
It's unbelievable that some people can't grasp the obvious.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Rico is a receiving threat, a natural athlete, an amazing weapon for the passing game and one of a kind TE talent. If he somehow gets cut, he will get picked up by another team and succeed elsewhere. Sort of like when the Minnesota Twins gave up on David Ortiz, then he got picked up by the Red Sox and the rest is history.

And also Dez would make our offense so damn amazing right now. My heart still aches from that roster move. Dez, Gallup, TWill, Cole and Rico. With this line, with Zeke, with Dak, and now with our amazing defense. What a waste!
Wonder why the league doesn't see what you see in Dez?

Techsass

Reaction score
I agree, I just thought that the three non-Swaim guys would be further along. Jarwin and Schultz clearly have upside but I thought they would already be ahead of Swaim at this point.

I went back and watched the last few minutes and saw the Rico catch, I'm still really torn on the guy. That catch is something only a couple of guys in the NFL can do, but you also read he made a bad mistake in his route running. Broaddus had a tweet saying "he has no idea idea what he is doing", which is pretty strong for a guy that usually tweets platitudes.

I think the best thing for Rico would be another redshirt year where he has a minor injury and they keep him on IR all year. He has too much talent to cut loose but he still isn't ready for a roster spot. Frustrating.
I'm sure they have their reasons for being afraid of putting Rico on the field, but dang there aren't that many guys who could have pulled in that catch.

I think if we weren't looking at cutting so many decent players, he'd probably make the 53.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I think if we weren't looking at cutting so many decent players, he'd probably make the 53.

That's exactly where I'm at, in almost any season we would keep him on the 53 and build a few Lance Dunbar-ish specialty plays around him. But this year you don't have the luxury, to keep him you would have to cut your 6th WR, 4th OT or a DL to keep him.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Right now, Swaim is the only blocker. Jarwin is a good route runner and catcher. Not much of a blocker. Schultz isn't much of anything right now, blocking or catching. He's looking like a bad pick right now. Development potential, but we already had lots of development potential. We needed a guy who could block today.

Rico is the best for the contested catch and jump ball. Just learn to block, Rico. That's how you get on the field this year.

To be honest Rico is our best choice for TE. This whole notion that he needs to learn how to block is silly. Witten was never a good blocker when he started out. Jarwin isn't a good blocker either. Schultz is a bad pick - not a good catcher, can't run routes and can barely block. He is a bust and should be put onto the practice squad.

Its time to go with our 3 best TEs - Swaim, Jarwin and Rico.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Better blocking and route running. And more playing time.

Swaim is our best blocking TE but not by much. Terrible in routes. Jarwin is best for running routes. But he can't block that well. Schultz isn't much of anything.

Rico can't block. So what. He can damn well catch the ball better than any of the other 3. He also makes opposing defenses account for him. None of the others do that.

Rico should make the team. Schultz to the practice squad.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Wait a second....I just got done listening to the Cowboys Break show from the 15th. They were saying Gathers has been making the nice catch plays lately in practice,and to keep him and that Shultz is the one who needs to go if you want to carry 3 TEs. Well,last nights game is only going to re-enforce that notion. I bet that’s what the coaches have been thinking too,unless they want to keep em all on board,and place one on the PS?
Well I got to tell you,”Shultz” isn’t a good name for a TE. It can work for a can of cheaper beer than “Schiltz”,or a good interior lineman,or a FB,or even as a “Sgt” on Hogan’s Hero’s....but it’s not working for me at a TE position on offense. Nope....names matter sometimes,and they already have a ”Swaim” as is,and that’s just too much tempting the laws of the natural football universe for me. It’s how I decided who I liked more in Witten’s first year with the famous.. “Whalen or Witten?”.. decision fiasco. Didn’t prove me wrong then,and it won’t now either. Next....

Last edited:

jaybird

Reaction score

I feel a lot better with Jay Novachek and micheal Irwin-just saying time to move in