Idea for how to keep Dak, but also fix this defence

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
Trades are fine if you can pull them off. Generally though you’re not going to get a windfall relative to what you’re asking. Football teams are primarily built through the draft. That’s the way it’s always been. We aren’t going to be able to keep everybody. I remember those Johnson teams steadily got picked apart through free agency because you can’t keep and pay everybody. What this organization has to get better at is building through the draft.

All of the consistently good franchises do this well.

Pats..
Ravens...
Chiefs..(even before Mahomes the chiefs have been playoff regulars)
Steelers...
Saints...
Packers...

TB built their current lightening fast defense primarily through the draft and added the one ingredient they needed via free agency to put them in SB contention - a competent, efficient, and productive QB

Consistently winning more drafts than you lose is the key to winning in this league.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
No much dropoff? What in hades are you guys smoking? Schultz is better than Jarwin ever dreamed of being.

Well, exactly, but Jarwin showed flashes of being a solid TE as well before his injury. I think we can get a 4 for him. I'd settle for a 5 even if we can use that to package for an extra 2.

FiveSuperBowls

Reaction score
Our defence is absolutely pathetic. I know, I know, that is obvious. However, we saw last night another problem. We need Dak. I know, those of you that don't like Dak will probably never come to terms with this. However, I think last night's showing provided a great example as to why we need Dak. He's the heart and soul of this team. The offense was completely heartless and looked obviously like they were without their pack leader. If you plan to have any success in the NFL, you must have a QB. We have that in Dak. Furthermore, let's face it. We lucked into Romo and Dak. Aside from those two, our track record since Aikman has been pitiful! Leaf, Storner, Hutchinson, Carter, Testeverde, Bledsoe, and all the QBs we've had backing up Romo and Dak. None of them have been good. If you still want Dak gone, do you trust that Jerry will select a great QB? Mind you, our only 1st round QB that we've taken since Jerry became the owner was Aikman. Plus, with a 1st, we have MUCH more pressing needs than QB if we keep Dak. If you let Dak walk, you open an even BIGGER problem for the team. So, with all of that, I think it is imperative that we keep Dak. However, in doing that, I think we have some difficult decisions to make. Additionally, we MUST fix this atrocious defence AND try to rebuild our oline if possible.

There is good news however. I think this team is heading for a high pick IF we don't win the division. I hate the thought of surrendering. However, I think last night became clear that we're probably not going anywhere without Dak. Let's say we finish 2nd in the NFC East and miss the playoffs at 5-11 (because this division is that bad). That should give us, say, perhaps the 8th pick. I think the first thing we should do is see who we can trade down with to get a few extra picks. We will need a lot of picks to fix this defence.

Here are a few other moves that we should make to help with the cap and/or give us extra draft picks:

1, Cutting Tyron Crawford saves us cap space, and it's not like he's been helping us at all. In fact, he had an idiotic taunting penalty against him last night despite getting torched by Kyler Murray. So, no real loss there if we cut him.

2. Try to trade Cedric Wilson. This is one of those tough decisions I was talking about. I like Cedric a lot, and I vouched heavily for him to be picked by us. However, he's a tradeable. Now, before anyone lambasts me about trading him, we need to start making some moves to fix this defence, and we're probably not going anywhere this year. I'd sell high on Wilson soon. There are teams that need WRs, and we can probably get a good pick for him. We got him in the 6th round. I think we realistically could get him for a 3rd depending on how badly a team might need a slot WR (which I think Wilson has proven to be capable of being). For example, the Titans look great and may need a a slot WR to help take their offense to the next level. I think we could get a 3 from them for Cedric Wilson.

3. I'd also look to try to trade Blake Jarwin in the offseason. I think we can get a good pick for him, and Schultz has proven to be a solid TE for us. This makes Jarwin tradeable for us. So, maybe we can see what we get for him too. I think a 2nd round pick for Jarwin is feasible, but, given his ACL, a 3rd may be more reasonable. So, for discussion sake, let's call it a 3rd round pick. This gives us at least 4 3rd round picks at least between likely 1 comp 3rd round pick, the 3rd we'd have anyway, and 2 more 3rd rounders. That is some serious firepower if we want to try and get another first round pick, or stand pat and see what falls to us.

4. This is another tough decision, but we may also need to look into trading Gallup. I hate the thought of this. I really hate this thought. However, I think we have to if we're going to fix our defence. Again, we are not likely going anywhere this season. Even if we make the playoffs, we will get embarrassed in the first round if we do make it. So, trading Gallup may help us get a nice pick. Say, perhaps a 2nd, maybe a 1st if we hit the trade right. Especially if it is a team that is battling for a playoff spot and/or is in a tough spot within the division and needing an edge to get a top spot in their division. Perhaps Chicago or Seattle? Chicago has been surprisingly good, and I could see them wagering a first for Gallup. Seattle, on the other hand, could use Gallup as a compliment to Metcalf and Lockett. So, I think one of those may view Gallup as worth giving us a first for Gallup.

If it plays out like this. before any trade downs, we'd have 2 first round picks, a second round pick, 4 3rd round picks, and several other picks including comp picks. That's a lot of solid picks for our draft. If we draft properly, I think we will be able to turn this team around next season while also keeping Dak. Also, unless COVID gets really bad again next year, we should have a proper offseason next year. So, the players will be able to understand their roles and how to fit into this team while also starting a good rebuild.

These are a few ideas that I have that I think can fix this team. It will be difficult, but I think this is the best way to do it.

Good ideas. Maybe trading just one of the two receivers is more realistic. I’d like to add perhaps cutting Zeke and eat it the salary cap. I know that cutting him at the end of next year is more realistic and I don’t think he’s tradeable.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Trades are fine if you can pull them off. Generally though you’re not going to get a windfall relative to what you’re asking. Football teams are primarily built through the draft. That’s the way it’s always been. We aren’t going to be able to keep everybody. I remember those Johnson teams steadily got picked apart through free agency because you can’t keep and pay everybody. What this organization has to get better at is building through the draft.

All of the consistently good franchises do this well.

Pats..
Ravens...
Chiefs..(even before Mahomes the chiefs have been playoff regulars)
Steelers...
Saints...
Packers...

TB built their current lightening fast defense primarily through the draft and added the one ingredient they needed via free agency to put them in SB contention - a competent, efficient, and productive QB

Consistently winning more drafts than you lose is the key to winning in this league.

Oh, no doubt, and we may not get all of these moves. Still, if we can get a few of them, that'd be huge.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Good ideas. Maybe trading just one of the two receivers is more realistic. I’d like to add perhaps cutting Zeke and eat it the salary cap. I know that cutting him at the end of next year is more realistic and I don’t think he’s tradeable.

If cutting Zeke helps our cap, I wouldn't be opposed to it. Anything to build our cap to sign better players.

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
Oh, no doubt, and we may not get all of these moves. Still, if we can get a few of them, that'd be huge.
I’ll also add that there needs to be an established identity, organizational goal and mindset coupled with stability in the FO and the coaching staff to increase the likelihood that you win more drafts than you lose.

We don’t have that and it’s the main reason we have been so damn mediocre for so damn long. We have to hope against hope that Jerry somehow swallows his pride and gets it going forward.

HungryLion

Reaction score
If you look at the history. The defensive drafting has been horrible.

they need to draft defenders better.

Look at recent history

1st round picks- LVE: always injured.
Taco- total bust
Byron Jones- let walk out of
Stupidity

2nd round picks: Gregory: drug issues hasn’t played much.
Lawrence: has done well most of the time. But is not living up to current contract
Jaylon: LOL
chido: mediocre at best
Trysten hill: early but not very good so far.

3rd round
Lewis: not good
JJ Wilcox: wasn’t good

Cowboys have a lot of picks on defense. Premium picks. Who aren’t performing at all.

Verdict

Reaction score
Our defence is absolutely pathetic. I know, I know, that is obvious. However, we saw last night another problem. We need Dak. I know, those of you that don't like Dak will probably never come to terms with this. However, I think last night's showing provided a great example as to why we need Dak. He's the heart and soul of this team. The offense was completely heartless and looked obviously like they were without their pack leader. If you plan to have any success in the NFL, you must have a QB. We have that in Dak. Furthermore, let's face it. We lucked into Romo and Dak. Aside from those two, our track record since Aikman has been pitiful! Leaf, Storner, Hutchinson, Carter, Testeverde, Bledsoe, and all the QBs we've had backing up Romo and Dak. None of them have been good. If you still want Dak gone, do you trust that Jerry will select a great QB? Mind you, our only 1st round QB that we've taken since Jerry became the owner was Aikman. Plus, with a 1st, we have MUCH more pressing needs than QB if we keep Dak. If you let Dak walk, you open an even BIGGER problem for the team. So, with all of that, I think it is imperative that we keep Dak. However, in doing that, I think we have some difficult decisions to make. Additionally, we MUST fix this atrocious defence AND try to rebuild our oline if possible.

Keeping Dak is a reasonable thought.

There is good news however. I think this team is heading for a high pick IF we don't win the division. I hate the thought of surrendering. However, I think last night became clear that we're probably not going anywhere without Dak. Let's say we finish 2nd in the NFC East and miss the playoffs at 5-11 (because this division is that bad). That should give us, say, perhaps the 8th pick. I think the first thing we should do is see who we can trade down with to get a few extra picks. We will need a lot of picks to fix this defence.

Jerry isn’t going to go for this, so you might as well give up on this idea.
Here are a few other moves that we should make to help with the cap and/or give us extra draft picks:

1, Cutting Tyron Crawford saves us cap space, and it's not like he's been helping us at all. In fact, he had an idiotic taunting penalty against him last night despite getting torched by Kyler Murray. So, no real loss there if we cut him.

Cutting Crawford? I think he is a free agent after this year, but maybe I’m wrong.

2. Try to trade Cedric Wilson. This is one of those tough decisions I was talking about. I like Cedric a lot, and I vouched heavily for him to be picked by us. However, he's a tradeable. Now, before anyone lambasts me about trading him, we need to start making some moves to fix this defence, and we're probably not going anywhere this year. I'd sell high on Wilson soon. There are teams that need WRs, and we can probably get a good pick for him. We got him in the 6th round. I think we realistically could get him for a 3rd depending on how badly a team might need a slot WR (which I think Wilson has proven to be capable of being). For example, the Titans look great and may need a a slot WR to help take their offense to the next level. I think we could get a 3 from them for Cedric Wilson.

If you can get a pick out of Wilson, especially a 3rd but that’s probably not realistic. At all. But if you are right, sign me up.

3. I'd also look to try to trade Blake Jarwin in the offseason. I think we can get a good pick for him, and Schultz has proven to be a solid TE for us. This makes Jarwin tradeable for us. So, maybe we can see what we get for him too. I think a 2nd round pick for Jarwin is feasible, but, given his ACL, a 3rd may be more reasonable. So, for discussion sake, let's call it a 3rd round pick. This gives us at least 4 3rd round picks at least between likely 1 comp 3rd round pick, the 3rd we'd have anyway, and 2 more 3rd rounders. That is some serious firepower if we want to try and get another first round pick, or stand pat and see what falls to us.

Jarwin is not going to net a premium pick. He’s a nice player but you aren’t improving your team by trading him away for a late round pick.

4. This is another tough decision, but we may also need to look into trading Gallup. I hate the thought of this. I really hate this thought. However, I think we have to if we're going to fix our defence. Again, we are not likely going anywhere this season. Even if we make the playoffs, we will get embarrassed in the first round if we do make it. So, trading Gallup may help us get a nice pick. Say, perhaps a 2nd, maybe a 1st if we hit the trade right. Especially if it is a team that is battling for a playoff spot and/or is in a tough spot within the division and needing an edge to get a top spot in their division. Perhaps Chicago or Seattle? Chicago has been surprisingly good, and I could see them wagering a first for Gallup. Seattle, on the other hand, could use Gallup as a compliment to Metcalf and Lockett. So, I think one of those may view Gallup as worth giving us a first for Gallup.

You are probably not going to get more than a mid round pick for Gallup, at best. He’s worth more than that to the team. I would look to move on from Amari and keep Gallup around for a mid tier contract.

If it plays out like this. before any trade downs, we'd have 2 first round picks, a second round pick, 4 3rd round picks, and several other picks including comp picks. That's a lot of solid picks for our draft. If we draft properly, I think we will be able to turn this team around next season while also keeping Dak. Also, unless COVID gets really bad again next year, we should have a proper offseason next year. So, the players will be able to understand their roles and how to fit into this team while also starting a good rebuild.

These are a few ideas that I have that I think can fix this team. It will be difficult, but I think this is the best way to do it.

Verdict

Reaction score
Lets be honest here...........Dak and his salary have nothing to do with the defense.

Its the GM's inability to draft defensive talent that has been the problem. Along with overpaying for guys like Lawrence, Zeke, Jaylon.

We have also had a 2nd round of Olineman drafted. Williams, McGovern, Biadasz. How has that worked out? Again, nothing to do with Dak.

Dak is the best player on the team by far and deserves every penny he gets.
I think McGovern was a 3rd rounder.

Swagger

Reaction score

I respect the time and effort that you put into your post.
You seem a very passionate and loyal Dallas Cowboy.
Hopefully your support will be rewarded after these current tough times.
Last night was a tough watch for so many reasons - it was poignant to see Stephen Jones shaking his head towards the end of the game when he is part of the problem.

GroundZero1970

Reaction score
Ok so you guys are gonna think I'm crazy but hear me out. When we can sign Prescott offer him the exact same contract Mahomes got.
Clearly he is not better than Mahomes so he really shouldnt ask for more.
Mahomes cap hits:
This year 5.3 mil
Then 24 mil
Then 31 mil
Then 42 mil
Then 39 mil
The next year it is 41 mil BUT more importantly if cut there is no dead money. So realistically Dallas can get out after 5 years with no dead money if Daks play declines. Also it will not be a cap killer in a year where the cap may go down.
Thoughts?

If he turns that down and wants more than Mahomes let him walk.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I respect the time and effort that you put into your post.
You seem a very passionate and loyal Dallas Cowboy.
Hopefully your support will be rewarded after these current tough times.
Last night was a tough watch for so many reasons - it was poignant to see Stephen Jones shaking his head towards the end of the game when he is part of the problem.

Thank you. and it's tough given that I started following this team in the 1999/2000 season. So I've never really experienced the Cowboys glory.

UncleOscar

Reaction score
So many problems require a two year plan.
1. Cut the deadwoods we can like Crawford, Poe, Lee, etc
2. See what we can get in trades for some players like Jarwin, Gallup,
3. After year 2, cut or trade Lawrence, Cooper, Jaylon, and Zeke
4. Acknowledge that Tyron and LVE aren't long for this game with their injury histories and prepare to move on.
5.Never ever draft another player with an injury history in college.
6. Never ever draft a RB high in the first round.
7. Improve FA signings. No more signing players with damaged quads and a 50% possibility of it rupturing.
8. No more extending rookie contracts early.
9. Reevaluate Will McClay. Let him do his job without pressure from jag coaches and Jerry. If he sucks, fire his ***.
10. Emphasis on drafting players from big schools in the P5 conferences.

Obviously, we'll never get the Barnum & Baily inbreds out of the personnel decision process. We can only hope they have a moment of clarity

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If you look at the history. The defensive drafting has been horrible.

they need to draft defenders better.

Look at recent history

1st round picks- LVE: always injured.
Taco- total bust
Byron Jones- let walk out of
Stupidity

2nd round picks: Gregory: drug issues hasn’t played much.
Lawrence: has done well most of the time. But is not living up to current contract
Jaylon: LOL
chido: mediocre at best
Trysten hill: early but not very good so far.

3rd round
Lewis: not good
JJ Wilcox: wasn’t good

Cowboys have a lot of picks on defense. Premium picks. Who aren’t performing at all.

Oh, I agree. Still, we have to do something to fix the defence. And I'm hoping that this would help.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Ok so you guys are gonna think I'm crazy but hear me out. When we can sign Prescott offer him the exact same contract Mahomes got.
Clearly he is not better than Mahomes so he really shouldnt ask for more.
Mahomes cap hits:
This year 5.3 mil
Then 24 mil
Then 31 mil
Then 42 mil
Then 39 mil
The next year it is 41 mil BUT more importantly if cut there is no dead money. So realistically Dallas can get out after 5 years with no dead money if Daks play declines. Also it will not be a cap killer in a year where the cap may go down.
Thoughts?

If he turns that down and wants more than Mahomes let him walk.

I'm for that!

Swagger

Reaction score
Thank you. and it's tough given that I started following this team in the 1999/2000 season. So I've never really experienced the Cowboys glory.
That's still a long 20 years of support. Fair play to you.

My worry going forward is that the old offensive line looks to be coming to an end. Especially if the team will be paying Prescott a lot of money to play behind it then he needs to be protected.

We have to think/hope that Collins will be good to go for next season.

But how much longer will we have Smith and Martin? We might have to use one of our premium picks on a left tackle in 2021.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Losing this season would help(draft order). Let these young guys play, next season they’ll equal depth.

I agree. I think for the rest of this season, we need to see what all we have so we have an idea of what to keep, and what to get rid of. See who's hungry to make plays. MM is on house money for this season, so I think it'd be good to see who's all available. Implement the system next offseason with the fact that we should have a real offseason.