Idea for how to keep Dak, but also fix this defence

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Our defence is absolutely pathetic. I know, I know, that is obvious. However, we saw last night another problem. We need Dak. I know, those of you that don't like Dak will probably never come to terms with this. However, I think last night's showing provided a great example as to why we need Dak. He's the heart and soul of this team. The offense was completely heartless and looked obviously like they were without their pack leader. If you plan to have any success in the NFL, you must have a QB. We have that in Dak. Furthermore, let's face it. We lucked into Romo and Dak. Aside from those two, our track record since Aikman has been pitiful! Leaf, Storner, Hutchinson, Carter, Testeverde, Bledsoe, and all the QBs we've had backing up Romo and Dak. None of them have been good. If you still want Dak gone, do you trust that Jerry will select a great QB? Mind you, our only 1st round QB that we've taken since Jerry became the owner was Aikman. Plus, with a 1st, we have MUCH more pressing needs than QB if we keep Dak. If you let Dak walk, you open an even BIGGER problem for the team. So, with all of that, I think it is imperative that we keep Dak. However, in doing that, I think we have some difficult decisions to make. Additionally, we MUST fix this atrocious defence AND try to rebuild our oline if possible.

There is good news however. I think this team is heading for a high pick IF we don't win the division. I hate the thought of surrendering. However, I think last night became clear that we're probably not going anywhere without Dak. Let's say we finish 2nd in the NFC East and miss the playoffs at 5-11 (because this division is that bad). That should give us, say, perhaps the 8th pick. I think the first thing we should do is see who we can trade down with to get a few extra picks. We will need a lot of picks to fix this defence.

Here are a few other moves that we should make to help with the cap and/or give us extra draft picks:

1, Cutting Tyron Crawford saves us cap space, and it's not like he's been helping us at all. In fact, he had an idiotic taunting penalty against him last night despite getting torched by Kyler Murray. So, no real loss there if we cut him.

2. Try to trade Cedric Wilson. This is one of those tough decisions I was talking about. I like Cedric a lot, and I vouched heavily for him to be picked by us. However, he's a tradeable. Now, before anyone lambasts me about trading him, we need to start making some moves to fix this defence, and we're probably not going anywhere this year. I'd sell high on Wilson soon. There are teams that need WRs, and we can probably get a good pick for him. We got him in the 6th round. I think we realistically could get him for a 3rd depending on how badly a team might need a slot WR (which I think Wilson has proven to be capable of being). For example, the Titans look great and may need a a slot WR to help take their offense to the next level. I think we could get a 3 from them for Cedric Wilson.

3. I'd also look to try to trade Blake Jarwin in the offseason. I think we can get a good pick for him, and Schultz has proven to be a solid TE for us. This makes Jarwin tradeable for us. So, maybe we can see what we get for him too. I think a 2nd round pick for Jarwin is feasible, but, given his ACL, a 3rd may be more reasonable. So, for discussion sake, let's call it a 3rd round pick. This gives us at least 4 3rd round picks at least between likely 1 comp 3rd round pick, the 3rd we'd have anyway, and 2 more 3rd rounders. That is some serious firepower if we want to try and get another first round pick, or stand pat and see what falls to us.

4. This is another tough decision, but we may also need to look into trading Gallup. I hate the thought of this. I really hate this thought. However, I think we have to if we're going to fix our defence. Again, we are not likely going anywhere this season. Even if we make the playoffs, we will get embarrassed in the first round if we do make it. So, trading Gallup may help us get a nice pick. Say, perhaps a 2nd, maybe a 1st if we hit the trade right. Especially if it is a team that is battling for a playoff spot and/or is in a tough spot within the division and needing an edge to get a top spot in their division. Perhaps Chicago or Seattle? Chicago has been surprisingly good, and I could see them wagering a first for Gallup. Seattle, on the other hand, could use Gallup as a compliment to Metcalf and Lockett. So, I think one of those may view Gallup as worth giving us a first for Gallup.

If it plays out like this. before any trade downs, we'd have 2 first round picks, a second round pick, 4 3rd round picks, and several other picks including comp picks. That's a lot of solid picks for our draft. If we draft properly, I think we will be able to turn this team around next season while also keeping Dak. Also, unless COVID gets really bad again next year, we should have a proper offseason next year. So, the players will be able to understand their roles and how to fit into this team while also starting a good rebuild.

These are a few ideas that I have that I think can fix this team. It will be difficult, but I think this is the best way to do it.
Good points my friend, only thing you mentioned I might be hesitant about is trading Gallop, he is our main deep threat and is only going to keep getting better. I would rather trade Coop than Gallop but his contract probably prevents that.

Everything else I am down for.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
More like the best talent at NT and S. Buying more LB's and CB's wouldn't fix anything.

Oh, I agree. We need the best talent at NT and S this draft. But we also should add some LBs as well after we address NT and S.

Good points my friend, only thing you mentioned I might be hesitant about is trading Gallop, he is our main deep threat and is only going to keep getting better. I would rather trade Coop than Gallop but his contract probably prevents that.

Everything else I am down for.

I'm hesitant about trading Gallup too. I mentioned several times in the thread that I hated the thought of trading Gallup, and still do. I'm just saying, if that will help us get another first to expedite the defencive rebuild, I'd begrudgingly do it. I'd trade Coop today if it got us a 1.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I don't think we'll be able to get Lawrence, even if we lose the rest of our games. The Jets will probably beat us to him. The only other QB that may be up to any snuff that I'd consider is the BYU QB. However, even then, I'd still rather keep Dak. Dak is a true leader, and he's the heart and soul of this team. If we can't come to an agreement, I'm onboard with tagging him again. But keep him next season.

I dont think so too. Thats why i want us to transition tag him instead of franchise tagging.

Tg him, trade him afterwards for 2 firsts and get lawrence with those picks.

Id too not take any other qb. If we arent able to get lawrence id rather stay with dalton or dak.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I dont think so too. Thats why i want us to transition tag him instead of franchise tagging.

Tg him, trade him afterwards for 2 firsts and get lawrence with those picks.

Id too not take any other qb. If we arent able to get lawrence id rather stay with dalton or dak.

That's why I'd stay with Dak though. I have 0 reason to think we will get Trevor. So, I'm staying with Dak. That's where the moves I suggested come into play.