Idea for how to keep Dak, but also fix this defence

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
would you trade zeke, cooper? I think I would let one of them go if it could be done getting us 1st and 3rd

If it gets a first, yes, I'd let one of those go for that.

Good topic for a thread, but I disagree with the premise of trading good offensive players for draft picks.
Don't rob Peter to pay Paul.
If we are going to be competitive in 2021, it's going to be because the offense is going to be very good - which it can be by just getting healthy- and the defense can just be average.

First, get a little bit of money to make good moves in FA (for once) with the cap going down, it will be a buyer's market for teams with a little money.
How to get a little cash?
Sign Dak to a long-term deal instead of the franchise tag.
Cut Poe - saves 4mill, cut Jones and draft a punter -save 2 mil, cut D. Thompson - save 1.2 mil, cut Canady - save 1 mil.

Get a better DC - Nolan is horrible. Always has been, always will be. Won't be hard to improve here.

Draft really well with a focus on D.

It's doable.

Fair enough on some of the trades. I'd still probably trade Wilson or Brown. I'd cut Poe, Thompson, and Canady for sure. I'd also certainly sign Dak to a long term deal as well. He deserves it, and we could actually clear some cap space as a result depending on how we structure it. I'd for sure get a better DC as well. One who preaches aggressiveness and attacking the football. Where I liked Marinelli was that he taught his defences to attack the ball. My issue with Marinelli was about how he never went for big DTs. However, I always respected how he preached attack the ball. What we need is someone with that message, but, at the same time, preaches the need for a big DT to stop the run.

eastsideboy

Reaction score
Reality check. if we finish in the top 10 we're drafting a QB with our first pick. signing Dalton to a one-year deal. probably put the franchise tag on our best player that's at the end of his contract maybe Aldon Smith. and dak will be playing for another team. The only problem with your idea is daks not a force multiplayer. He's not going to make the players around him better. Make no mistake if we finish in the top 10 ain't nobody getting paid. Except maybe mike gallup.

Last edited:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Again. MM can't fix Garrett's decade of a mess in a few games. Just as McVay & Shanahan couldn't/didn't fix the Rams/49ers in one season.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Reality check. if we finish in the top 10 we're drafting a QB with our first pick. signing Dalton to a one-year deal. probably put the franchise tag on our best player that's at the end of his contract maybe Aldon Smith. and dak will be playing for another team. The only problem with your idea is daks not a force multiplayer. He's not going to make the players around him better. Make no mistake if we finish in the top 10 ain't nobody getting paid. Except maybe mike gallup.

Except, I think Dak does improve everyone around him. He's been the reason we've been in games. And we need to get the best defencive players we can get.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Sign Dak and draft well. Hope to hit on some FA. We will need to trade a few players. We do get a few comp picks this year. Hope we hit gold. Need a D and a O-Line player or 2. Lol.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Our defence is absolutely pathetic. I know, I know, that is obvious. However, we saw last night another problem. We need Dak. I know, those of you that don't like Dak will probably never come to terms with this. However, I think last night's showing provided a great example as to why we need Dak. He's the heart and soul of this team. The offense was completely heartless and looked obviously like they were without their pack leader. If you plan to have any success in the NFL, you must have a QB. We have that in Dak. Furthermore, let's face it. We lucked into Romo and Dak. Aside from those two, our track record since Aikman has been pitiful! Leaf, Storner, Hutchinson, Carter, Testeverde, Bledsoe, and all the QBs we've had backing up Romo and Dak. None of them have been good. If you still want Dak gone, do you trust that Jerry will select a great QB? Mind you, our only 1st round QB that we've taken since Jerry became the owner was Aikman. Plus, with a 1st, we have MUCH more pressing needs than QB if we keep Dak. If you let Dak walk, you open an even BIGGER problem for the team. So, with all of that, I think it is imperative that we keep Dak. However, in doing that, I think we have some difficult decisions to make. Additionally, we MUST fix this atrocious defence AND try to rebuild our oline if possible.

There is good news however. I think this team is heading for a high pick IF we don't win the division. I hate the thought of surrendering. However, I think last night became clear that we're probably not going anywhere without Dak. Let's say we finish 2nd in the NFC East and miss the playoffs at 5-11 (because this division is that bad). That should give us, say, perhaps the 8th pick. I think the first thing we should do is see who we can trade down with to get a few extra picks. We will need a lot of picks to fix this defence.

Here are a few other moves that we should make to help with the cap and/or give us extra draft picks:

1, Cutting Tyron Crawford saves us cap space, and it's not like he's been helping us at all. In fact, he had an idiotic taunting penalty against him last night despite getting torched by Kyler Murray. So, no real loss there if we cut him.

2. Try to trade Cedric Wilson. This is one of those tough decisions I was talking about. I like Cedric a lot, and I vouched heavily for him to be picked by us. However, he's a tradeable. Now, before anyone lambasts me about trading him, we need to start making some moves to fix this defence, and we're probably not going anywhere this year. I'd sell high on Wilson soon. There are teams that need WRs, and we can probably get a good pick for him. We got him in the 6th round. I think we realistically could get him for a 3rd depending on how badly a team might need a slot WR (which I think Wilson has proven to be capable of being). For example, the Titans look great and may need a a slot WR to help take their offense to the next level. I think we could get a 3 from them for Cedric Wilson.

3. I'd also look to try to trade Blake Jarwin in the offseason. I think we can get a good pick for him, and Schultz has proven to be a solid TE for us. This makes Jarwin tradeable for us. So, maybe we can see what we get for him too. I think a 2nd round pick for Jarwin is feasible, but, given his ACL, a 3rd may be more reasonable. So, for discussion sake, let's call it a 3rd round pick. This gives us at least 4 3rd round picks at least between likely 1 comp 3rd round pick, the 3rd we'd have anyway, and 2 more 3rd rounders. That is some serious firepower if we want to try and get another first round pick, or stand pat and see what falls to us.

4. This is another tough decision, but we may also need to look into trading Gallup. I hate the thought of this. I really hate this thought. However, I think we have to if we're going to fix our defence. Again, we are not likely going anywhere this season. Even if we make the playoffs, we will get embarrassed in the first round if we do make it. So, trading Gallup may help us get a nice pick. Say, perhaps a 2nd, maybe a 1st if we hit the trade right. Especially if it is a team that is battling for a playoff spot and/or is in a tough spot within the division and needing an edge to get a top spot in their division. Perhaps Chicago or Seattle? Chicago has been surprisingly good, and I could see them wagering a first for Gallup. Seattle, on the other hand, could use Gallup as a compliment to Metcalf and Lockett. So, I think one of those may view Gallup as worth giving us a first for Gallup.

If it plays out like this. before any trade downs, we'd have 2 first round picks, a second round pick, 4 3rd round picks, and several other picks including comp picks. That's a lot of solid picks for our draft. If we draft properly, I think we will be able to turn this team around next season while also keeping Dak. Also, unless COVID gets really bad again next year, we should have a proper offseason next year. So, the players will be able to understand their roles and how to fit into this team while also starting a good rebuild.

These are a few ideas that I have that I think can fix this team. It will be difficult, but I think this is the best way to do it.

Gut the whole team and give Dak 500 million for 5 years!
Dak is a one-man show who needs those bums around him!!

fivetwos

Reaction score
Cutting Crawford doesnt save anyone anything vs the cap. They had their shot, decided against it.

That, in a nutshell, is why this team is run so poorly.

They AREN'T qualified....and they keep surrounding themselves w people that tell them how close they are and tell them what they want to hear.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Gut the whole team and give Dak 500 million for 5 years!
Dak is a one-man show who needs those bums around him!!

What he needs is a defence. Something he hasn't had much of since he arrived here. What I've detailed is a way to get a defence here.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, exactly, but Jarwin showed flashes of being a solid TE as well before his injury. I think we can get a 4 for him. I'd settle for a 5 even if we can use that to package for an extra 2.

Jarwin shown he is a good player. I would not take a 5th or a 4th rounder for him. Who are you going to draft in those rounds that would be any better than him.
I know, use it to trade up, however the value of a 5th rounder is not that much actually. Plus you still need depth at Te. Where is that going to come from. FA maybe, but who is out there to get. Then it will cost you cap room.

And don't forget Jarwin signed a new contract. Who will make a trade and accept his contract coming off an injury. I know it is scatter shooting. But to me, just will not happen.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What he needs is a defence. Something he hasn't had much of since he arrived here. What I've detailed is a way to get a defence here.
The only "Good" thing about this team going to hell is it's going to take Dak down and out of Dallas!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we can play our cards right, especially if we start a rebuild now, I think we can get a LT and fix the defence all in one offseason.

Jerry will need to open up the checkbook in FA to rebuild the team in a year. Somehow work it in with getting Dak signed. And we could be in great shape with the cap, however, if it does drop. We are looking at 2 years. Unless players come in at bargain prices. But that will need to happen with every team.

2020 can't end fast enough. Not just for the football season, but it just needs to end. Not that 2021 may start off better, but it just needs to get here.

jnday

Reaction score
Our defence is absolutely pathetic. I know, I know, that is obvious. However, we saw last night another problem. We need Dak. I know, those of you that don't like Dak will probably never come to terms with this. However, I think last night's showing provided a great example as to why we need Dak. He's the heart and soul of this team. The offense was completely heartless and looked obviously like they were without their pack leader. If you plan to have any success in the NFL, you must have a QB. We have that in Dak. Furthermore, let's face it. We lucked into Romo and Dak. Aside from those two, our track record since Aikman has been pitiful! Leaf, Storner, Hutchinson, Carter, Testeverde, Bledsoe, and all the QBs we've had backing up Romo and Dak. None of them have been good. If you still want Dak gone, do you trust that Jerry will select a great QB? Mind you, our only 1st round QB that we've taken since Jerry became the owner was Aikman. Plus, with a 1st, we have MUCH more pressing needs than QB if we keep Dak. If you let Dak walk, you open an even BIGGER problem for the team. So, with all of that, I think it is imperative that we keep Dak. However, in doing that, I think we have some difficult decisions to make. Additionally, we MUST fix this atrocious defence AND try to rebuild our oline if possible.

There is good news however. I think this team is heading for a high pick IF we don't win the division. I hate the thought of surrendering. However, I think last night became clear that we're probably not going anywhere without Dak. Let's say we finish 2nd in the NFC East and miss the playoffs at 5-11 (because this division is that bad). That should give us, say, perhaps the 8th pick. I think the first thing we should do is see who we can trade down with to get a few extra picks. We will need a lot of picks to fix this defence.

Here are a few other moves that we should make to help with the cap and/or give us extra draft picks:

1, Cutting Tyron Crawford saves us cap space, and it's not like he's been helping us at all. In fact, he had an idiotic taunting penalty against him last night despite getting torched by Kyler Murray. So, no real loss there if we cut him.

2. Try to trade Cedric Wilson. This is one of those tough decisions I was talking about. I like Cedric a lot, and I vouched heavily for him to be picked by us. However, he's a tradeable. Now, before anyone lambasts me about trading him, we need to start making some moves to fix this defence, and we're probably not going anywhere this year. I'd sell high on Wilson soon. There are teams that need WRs, and we can probably get a good pick for him. We got him in the 6th round. I think we realistically could get him for a 3rd depending on how badly a team might need a slot WR (which I think Wilson has proven to be capable of being). For example, the Titans look great and may need a a slot WR to help take their offense to the next level. I think we could get a 3 from them for Cedric Wilson.

3. I'd also look to try to trade Blake Jarwin in the offseason. I think we can get a good pick for him, and Schultz has proven to be a solid TE for us. This makes Jarwin tradeable for us. So, maybe we can see what we get for him too. I think a 2nd round pick for Jarwin is feasible, but, given his ACL, a 3rd may be more reasonable. So, for discussion sake, let's call it a 3rd round pick. This gives us at least 4 3rd round picks at least between likely 1 comp 3rd round pick, the 3rd we'd have anyway, and 2 more 3rd rounders. That is some serious firepower if we want to try and get another first round pick, or stand pat and see what falls to us.

4. This is another tough decision, but we may also need to look into trading Gallup. I hate the thought of this. I really hate this thought. However, I think we have to if we're going to fix our defence. Again, we are not likely going anywhere this season. Even if we make the playoffs, we will get embarrassed in the first round if we do make it. So, trading Gallup may help us get a nice pick. Say, perhaps a 2nd, maybe a 1st if we hit the trade right. Especially if it is a team that is battling for a playoff spot and/or is in a tough spot within the division and needing an edge to get a top spot in their division. Perhaps Chicago or Seattle? Chicago has been surprisingly good, and I could see them wagering a first for Gallup. Seattle, on the other hand, could use Gallup as a compliment to Metcalf and Lockett. So, I think one of those may view Gallup as worth giving us a first for Gallup.

If it plays out like this. before any trade downs, we'd have 2 first round picks, a second round pick, 4 3rd round picks, and several other picks including comp picks. That's a lot of solid picks for our draft. If we draft properly, I think we will be able to turn this team around next season while also keeping Dak. Also, unless COVID gets really bad again next year, we should have a proper offseason next year. So, the players will be able to understand their roles and how to fit into this team while also starting a good rebuild.

These are a few ideas that I have that I think can fix this team. It will be difficult, but I think this is the best way to do it.
They would be lucky to get a mid 3rd round pick for Gallup and the others would get late round picks if they could get that. Gallup needs to stay for now and Cooper and his contract needs to go. All of these big contracts needs to go and Dak needs to be traded since this team needs to be rebuilding over the next few years. Paying a QB $40 million a year is a total waste when rebuilding and they can finally draft a QB with a first round pick instead hoping to luck into one. All if these underperforming players with huge contracts are almost impossible to trade, so they will have to bite the bullet and cut them as soon as possible.

jnday

Reaction score
Ok so you guys are gonna think I'm crazy but hear me out. When we can sign Prescott offer him the exact same contract Mahomes got.
Clearly he is not better than Mahomes so he really shouldnt ask for more.
Mahomes cap hits:
This year 5.3 mil
Then 24 mil
Then 31 mil
Then 42 mil
Then 39 mil
The next year it is 41 mil BUT more importantly if cut there is no dead money. So realistically Dallas can get out after 5 years with no dead money if Daks play declines. Also it will not be a cap killer in a year where the cap may go down.
Thoughts?

If he turns that down and wants more than Mahomes let him walk.
Why would you pay Dak like Mahomes ? Dak is nowhere near the QB that Mahomes is. That will be just another contract that overpays a player compared to his value and that should be a trend that should stop.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If you look at the history. The defensive drafting has been horrible.

they need to draft defenders better.

Look at recent history

1st round picks- LVE: always injured.
Taco- total bust
Byron Jones- let walk out of
Stupidity

2nd round picks: Gregory: drug issues hasn’t played much.
Lawrence: has done well most of the time. But is not living up to current contract
Jaylon: LOL
chido: mediocre at best
Trysten hill: early but not very good so far.

3rd round
Lewis: not good
JJ Wilcox: wasn’t good

Cowboys have a lot of picks on defense. Premium picks. Who aren’t performing at all.

Something you'll find with most, if not all top 10 defenses, at least 2 playmakers, as in ALL Pros you can count on playing at a high level every week. Byron Jones for example, true he can't/couldn't buy an interception but there's no denying his impact. He basically shut down or minimized opposing teams' best WR. This D is screaming for leadership. Remember last season Michael Bennett ( aging vet on a 1-year deal) stepped up tried to lead coz no player could or would?

It's why I've said, if it's me, I'm blowing up the entire D after the season with the exception of Hill, Diggs, LVE and maybe Aldon Smith. Can't get rid of Jaylon or DLaw but they will earn their starting job or backup. In other words, rebuild it from damn near the ground up.

TwentyOne

Reaction score

There will be no problem if you let Dak walk. Dont put yourself under preassure.

Give Dak 25 mils / year for 6 years. If he wont take it TG him and find a trade partner.

Pick up Lawrence in 2021 and roll with him.

There is always a new player. Again: Dont put yourself under preassure!

Of course you have to get rid of losers like Jaylon, DFLaw. and Crawford. But thats another story.