Idea for how to keep Dak, but also fix this defence

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
One problem with your plan.................who is going to play QB genius? Dalton? :lmao::lmao::lmao2::lmao2:

I would either tank in 2021 because rookies are not going to come in and fix anything next year so we can win again in 2022 but if I want to give myself a chance while saving money at QB I would sign Stafford or Darnold to a 1 year prove it deal..

If they play great then thats a Win.. IF they play terrible then it's a Win because of money saved and improvement of our draft pick.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I would either tank in 2021 because rookies are not going to come in and fix anything next year so we can win again in 2022 but if I want to give myself a chance while saving money at QB I would sign Stafford or Darnold to a 1 year prove it deal..

If they play great then thats a Win.. IF they play terrible then it's a Win because of money saved and improvement of our draft pick.

Stafford is going to sign for big money. He would never take a one year prove it deal. Darnold sucks.

Lets just cut to the chase here..............................

Dak Prescott was willing to sign for 4 years at 35 million per year. Hes getting 31 million this year, but lets stick with the 35 million dollar number.

You just said that your problem with Dak is the money he wants. So what salary would Dak have to take in order for you to say he is worth it?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Stafford is going to sign for big money. He would never take a one year prove it deal. Darnold sucks.

Dak Prescott was willing to sign for 4 years at 35 million per year. Hes getting 31 million this year, but lets stick with the 35 million dollar number.

You just said that your problem with Dak is the money he wants. So what salary would Dak have to take in order for you to say he is worth it?

Dak needs a lot around him to win so I don't know what the right number would be.

2021 I don't see us winning anyway.

So whatever number is low enough for us to build a perfect team so we don't have the excuse of a lack of skill players, oline, defense.. Because he's not overcoming the lack of any of those things to the extent of us being title contenders.. Maybe he gets us a wildcard bid.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Our defence is absolutely pathetic. I know, I know, that is obvious. However, we saw last night another problem. We need Dak. I know, those of you that don't like Dak will probably never come to terms with this. However, I think last night's showing provided a great example as to why we need Dak. He's the heart and soul of this team. The offense was completely heartless and looked obviously like they were without their pack leader. If you plan to have any success in the NFL, you must have a QB. We have that in Dak. Furthermore, let's face it. We lucked into Romo and Dak. Aside from those two, our track record since Aikman has been pitiful! Leaf, Storner, Hutchinson, Carter, Testeverde, Bledsoe, and all the QBs we've had backing up Romo and Dak. None of them have been good. If you still want Dak gone, do you trust that Jerry will select a great QB? Mind you, our only 1st round QB that we've taken since Jerry became the owner was Aikman. Plus, with a 1st, we have MUCH more pressing needs than QB if we keep Dak. If you let Dak walk, you open an even BIGGER problem for the team. So, with all of that, I think it is imperative that we keep Dak. However, in doing that, I think we have some difficult decisions to make. Additionally, we MUST fix this atrocious defence AND try to rebuild our oline if possible.

There is good news however. I think this team is heading for a high pick IF we don't win the division. I hate the thought of surrendering. However, I think last night became clear that we're probably not going anywhere without Dak. Let's say we finish 2nd in the NFC East and miss the playoffs at 5-11 (because this division is that bad). That should give us, say, perhaps the 8th pick. I think the first thing we should do is see who we can trade down with to get a few extra picks. We will need a lot of picks to fix this defence.

Here are a few other moves that we should make to help with the cap and/or give us extra draft picks:

1, Cutting Tyron Crawford saves us cap space, and it's not like he's been helping us at all. In fact, he had an idiotic taunting penalty against him last night despite getting torched by Kyler Murray. So, no real loss there if we cut him.

2. Try to trade Cedric Wilson. This is one of those tough decisions I was talking about. I like Cedric a lot, and I vouched heavily for him to be picked by us. However, he's a tradeable. Now, before anyone lambasts me about trading him, we need to start making some moves to fix this defence, and we're probably not going anywhere this year. I'd sell high on Wilson soon. There are teams that need WRs, and we can probably get a good pick for him. We got him in the 6th round. I think we realistically could get him for a 3rd depending on how badly a team might need a slot WR (which I think Wilson has proven to be capable of being). For example, the Titans look great and may need a a slot WR to help take their offense to the next level. I think we could get a 3 from them for Cedric Wilson.

3. I'd also look to try to trade Blake Jarwin in the offseason. I think we can get a good pick for him, and Schultz has proven to be a solid TE for us. This makes Jarwin tradeable for us. So, maybe we can see what we get for him too. I think a 2nd round pick for Jarwin is feasible, but, given his ACL, a 3rd may be more reasonable. So, for discussion sake, let's call it a 3rd round pick. This gives us at least 4 3rd round picks at least between likely 1 comp 3rd round pick, the 3rd we'd have anyway, and 2 more 3rd rounders. That is some serious firepower if we want to try and get another first round pick, or stand pat and see what falls to us.

4. This is another tough decision, but we may also need to look into trading Gallup. I hate the thought of this. I really hate this thought. However, I think we have to if we're going to fix our defence. Again, we are not likely going anywhere this season. Even if we make the playoffs, we will get embarrassed in the first round if we do make it. So, trading Gallup may help us get a nice pick. Say, perhaps a 2nd, maybe a 1st if we hit the trade right. Especially if it is a team that is battling for a playoff spot and/or is in a tough spot within the division and needing an edge to get a top spot in their division. Perhaps Chicago or Seattle? Chicago has been surprisingly good, and I could see them wagering a first for Gallup. Seattle, on the other hand, could use Gallup as a compliment to Metcalf and Lockett. So, I think one of those may view Gallup as worth giving us a first for Gallup.

If it plays out like this. before any trade downs, we'd have 2 first round picks, a second round pick, 4 3rd round picks, and several other picks including comp picks. That's a lot of solid picks for our draft. If we draft properly, I think we will be able to turn this team around next season while also keeping Dak. Also, unless COVID gets really bad again next year, we should have a proper offseason next year. So, the players will be able to understand their roles and how to fit into this team while also starting a good rebuild.

These are a few ideas that I have that I think can fix this team. It will be difficult, but I think this is the best way to do it.
Can appreciate the time you took to write this:clap:But I'm not getting rid of Gallop or Wilson. We've seen how injuries can dwindle a spot even with good depth. Jerry just needs to quit being cheap on defense. Draft higher on defense. And quit bringing in project guys with drug problems, head problems and playing great problems.

GroundZero1970

Reaction score
I do. I would also say that based on how things around the NFL are done that the next line of starting QB to become FA will end up with more than Watson. Hell is was only a couple of years ago that the talk was of Rodgers and Ryan as the 2 big contracts out there and now those deals no longer look so massive. How can Dallas afford it? same way every other team in the NFL affords it. Teams will renegotiate deals as they move forward to free up cash. Thankfully signing draft choices are not costly as they were before the last contract with NFLPA and Owners.
I agree he is and Watson is basically making nearly 40 mil per year which over 10 years equals 400 million. Thats why I suggested offering Prescott the same contract as Mahomes. That will lock him up for 10 years at a decent rate AND give us a no dead money out after 5 years if need be. Everyine wins there I think. If Prescott turns it down then he is wanting MORE than Mahomes and can go kick rocks at that point.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I agree he is and Watson is basically making nearly 40 mil per year which over 10 years equals 400 million. Thats why I suggested offering Prescott the same contract as Mahomes. That will lock him up for 10 years at a decent rate AND give us a no dead money out after 5 years if need be. Everyine wins there I think. If Prescott turns it down then he is wanting MORE than Mahomes and can go kick rocks at that point.
I think it is less about money but more about the years. I also think both sides may be willing to do 4 years. I would be shocked for 10 year deal

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I am a pretty big fan of long form threads because I am over 12 and can read.
I like fleshed out ideas even if half-baked of off the wall. I have read Joyce and Ayn Rand for instance.
NFL turnover year to year is high and DAL has the advantage of what is is now? 14? IR players returning next year?
DAL likely has the makings of a quality OL in house. So while you'd have to consider a LT of the future if you pick top 10 you can probably ignore the OL otherwise unless draft values falls in your lap.

Cash: The cap can easily become DAL friend next season. They haven't used up any credit card spending until just this year for rollover money. They can create a lot of cap space and then when they extend DAk long -term get his cap hit for this year down to say 15M they'll free up a ton of cap space. IF only a few teams are in the market prices will be down and cap dollars will stretch. DAL has to be ready for that possibility. Teams like PHI that have often set the top of the FA market won't have cap cash to do so.

DAL needs: RB-- time to grab a vet FA or draft a guy you think can back up Zeke. Someone with actual juice as a runner. The speed to Zeke's bully ball. --Yes, Pollard may be that guy but he has to show an ability to read blocks/gaps and hit the hole without fear. Time to get a real 3rd RB and not undrafted or off the street types. Minimal investment.

WR is set.

TE is set. Jarwin returns and the Jarwin/Schultz/Bell three-deep can do work.

QB: Gotta get a back up to replace Andy if he wants to leave or retire. If DiNucci is your 2 (lotta road left this year to find out) have to add a 3rd guy cheap.

Defense is well...
DE: Resign Aldon Smith if you can. But you can't pay him 15M+ per year. Offer him longevity and guarantees in lieu of larger base cap hits.

DT: McCoy?? Does he favor DAL because they handed him 3M for a couple practices? Does he have anything left? THill will return and hopefully his rehab will coincide with owning a sleeping bag in the weight room.
All that said DT is STILL a need. Draft target and if McCoy isn't coming back DAL may need to suck it up and spend money here.
Some FA I'd kick tires on.
Suh in TB: May wear down as he is 34 but he is playing quite well and would our best DT against both pass and run. ROFL that is bad for us...
Shelby Harris DEN. He's getting pressure we could only dream of and he's 30.
Davlin Tomlinson NYG, 27 years old, plays both run and pass actively. Market values estimated at 9.5M per year.

LB: DAL has to decide if LVE is a starting LB for them or not. Nothing wrong with placing him on a bench and letting him come in for packages if he can't handled all game duties. He can be your new Sean Lee.
But DAL has to have a better plan than 2 injury known and 1 perm limited guy in your top 3 spots. If the younger LB can;t pass Joe Thomas than draft or sign guys here.
The dream is Micah Parsons out of Lee's alma mater Penn ST.
FA doesn't appear to have much but BJ Goodson of CLE or Neville Hewitt of NYJ might be a good stop gap inside type.
Both are 28 and basically a little younger version of Joe Thomas.

CB: DAL has a lot of uncertainty here. AB, Diggs appear to be back and ready to go longer term. Chido will be a FA and he hasn't shown to be worth huge dollars. But DAL needs him pretty badly.
FA is pretty rough. A lot of very old year to year CBs, Patrick Peterson/Richard Sherman/Josh Norman then some not great options like William Jackson of CIN, Brian Poole of the Jets.
Good news is lots of bodies in FA to choose from. Bad new sis not many are that good and it seems 6M a year is average CB2/3 money.

Safety: XWoods is a pretty good player. DAL has 1 safety.
I'd really like Richard LeCounte of Georgia or Paris Ford of Pitt in round 2. There is a kid at Oregon that is a baller but they haven't played...
Justin Simmons of DEN has been poor this year but was elite previously. Is he worth 8M a year long term with that gamble?
Are we tired of sucking at Safety?
FA has a lot of options but many are depth guys. Could really use a pro personnel gem move here.
And I'd draft a guy high.

If I figure:
8M at DT
8M at LB
6M at CB
6M at S
I've touched all 3 levels of this defense and spent 28M.
I believe I can get to those numbers of free cap space BY extending Dak.
Any other move and I'm likely in a holding pattern.
Dak is worth at least two 1s. I'm not letting that walk in FA for a future R3 comp.

So Dallas has t decide: run this back with what we have or extend Dak and try to go win this thing.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Jerry will need to open up the checkbook in FA to rebuild the team in a year. Somehow work it in with getting Dak signed. And we could be in great shape with the cap, however, if it does drop. We are looking at 2 years. Unless players come in at bargain prices. But that will need to happen with every team.

2020 can't end fast enough. Not just for the football season, but it just needs to end. Not that 2021 may start off better, but it just needs to get here.

I agree. As long as we get Dak extended and fix our defence, we should be alright.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Jarwin shown he is a good player. I would not take a 5th or a 4th rounder for him. Who are you going to draft in those rounds that would be any better than him.
I know, use it to trade up, however the value of a 5th rounder is not that much actually. Plus you still need depth at Te. Where is that going to come from. FA maybe, but who is out there to get. Then it will cost you cap room.

And don't forget Jarwin signed a new contract. Who will make a trade and accept his contract coming off an injury. I know it is scatter shooting. But to me, just will not happen.

Good point. I hope we can get at least a 3rd round for him, but I see what you're saying about that with Jarwin.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
They would be lucky to get a mid 3rd round pick for Gallup and the others would get late round picks if they could get that. Gallup needs to stay for now and Cooper and his contract needs to go. All of these big contracts needs to go and Dak needs to be traded since this team needs to be rebuilding over the next few years. Paying a QB $40 million a year is a total waste when rebuilding and they can finally draft a QB with a first round pick instead hoping to luck into one. All if these underperforming players with huge contracts are almost impossible to trade, so they will have to bite the bullet and cut them as soon as possible.

Fair enough, but which QB would we take to replace Dak? I don't think we'll get lucky again like we got with Romo and Dak.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Something you'll find with most, if not all top 10 defenses, at least 2 playmakers, as in ALL Pros you can count on playing at a high level every week. Byron Jones for example, true he can't/couldn't buy an interception but there's no denying his impact. He basically shut down or minimized opposing teams' best WR. This D is screaming for leadership. Remember last season Michael Bennett ( aging vet on a 1-year deal) stepped up tried to lead coz no player could or would?

It's why I've said, if it's me, I'm blowing up the entire D after the season with the exception of Hill, Diggs, LVE and maybe Aldon Smith. Can't get rid of Jaylon or DLaw but they will earn their starting job or backup. In other words, rebuild it from damn near the ground up.

Agreed, and we kept DLaw who was no All-Pro, yet Byron proved himself to be an All-Pro (minus the Interceptions of course). He was a leader. Yet, Jerry saw fit to resign DLaw instead of Byron. Hill, Diggs, and Aldon Smith have proven to be worth keeping. I'd also keep LVE just because he's on a rookie contract, but I wouldn't resign him unless it's a bargain. Everyone else needs to go. I'm with you, other than those players, burn down the whole defence other than those players, and rebuild from the ashes. That's why I want as many draft picks as possible to help expedite the rise.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
There will be no problem if you let Dak walk. Dont put yourself under preassure.

Give Dak 25 mils / year for 6 years. If he wont take it TG him and find a trade partner.

Pick up Lawrence in 2021 and roll with him.

There is always a new player. Again: Dont put yourself under preassure!

Of course you have to get rid of losers like Jaylon, DFLaw. and Crawford. But thats another story.

I don't think we'll be able to get Lawrence, even if we lose the rest of our games. The Jets will probably beat us to him. The only other QB that may be up to any snuff that I'd consider is the BYU QB. However, even then, I'd still rather keep Dak. Dak is a true leader, and he's the heart and soul of this team. If we can't come to an agreement, I'm onboard with tagging him again. But keep him next season.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Nah good post.

Jarwin.. His value is too low to trade.. I don't think we would get what he is worth.

McCarthy thinks Jarwin is a potential all pro.

Gallup is worth more to us then a 2nd rounder.

If we can trade Gallup for a Minkah Fitzpatrick type of player then i'm all for it but outside of a 1st round pick I wouldn't trade him.

I'm fine with trading Wilson...

I think what we really need to do is part ways with Dak or Zeke..

If Dak can bring us a first rounder then that + money saved could be the quickest fix for this team going forward..

Same with Zeke. Zeke is just a luxury we can't afford..

The miracle of all miracles would be us landing Trevor Lawrence in the draft. It would open a lot of doors that are slamming shut on us right now. We're about to be locked into mediocrity i'm affraid.

The Cowboys claim they are ready to Franchise Tag Dak so maybe Dak decides it's stupid to keep playing football and risk 100 million +.

I wish he would prioritize a championship over the Cowboys getting a solid deal. He wants every penny and he's just not worth that kind of money to begin with but he's taking advantage of a stupid QB market that sinks teams into mediocrity.

Thankies hehe. I hope we can keep Dak, mainly, like I said, because I don't trust Jerry to pick a better QB and because I like Dak. I highly doubt we'll be able to get Lawrence. I think he goes to the Jets, Falcons, or Jaguars before he gets even close to us. Like I said, the BYU QB is an option, and maybe we can sneak him in round 2. However, I'd still like to keep Dak if possible. Especially since we need the vast majority of our draft to be on D.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Again, fixing the defense has nothing to do with paying Dak or cutting salaries. The issue is NOT money.
You cannot build a good defense through free agency, where you are signing guys off injury, at the end of careers, or to record contracts.

It is very easy to keep our current offense together, draft for defense, and maybe sign or trade for 1-2 players if needed. Dallas is in great CAP shape, and that won’t change by paying Dak.

I should think so, and we definitely need to do better at acquiring defencive talent.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Nah good post.

Jarwin.. His value is too low to trade.. I don't think we would get what he is worth.

McCarthy thinks Jarwin is a potential all pro.

Gallup is worth more to us then a 2nd rounder.

If we can trade Gallup for a Minkah Fitzpatrick type of player then i'm all for it but outside of a 1st round pick I wouldn't trade him.

I'm fine with trading Wilson...

I think what we really need to do is part ways with Dak or Zeke..

If Dak can bring us a first rounder then that + money saved could be the quickest fix for this team going forward..

Same with Zeke. Zeke is just a luxury we can't afford..

The miracle of all miracles would be us landing Trevor Lawrence in the draft. It would open a lot of doors that are slamming shut on us right now. We're about to be locked into mediocrity i'm affraid.

The Cowboys claim they are ready to Franchise Tag Dak so maybe Dak decides it's stupid to keep playing football and risk 100 million +.

I wish he would prioritize a championship over the Cowboys getting a solid deal. He wants every penny and he's just not worth that kind of money to begin with but he's taking advantage of a stupid QB market that sinks teams into mediocrity.

However, I'd part ways with Zeke after the season no question. Zeke has not been anything close to what we drafted him to be.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

I'd love it so much if we could keep Dak at that salary. Heck, I'd give him 37. Especially with what he means to this offense.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Can appreciate the time you took to write this:clap:But I'm not getting rid of Gallop or Wilson. We've seen how injuries can dwindle a spot even with good depth. Jerry just needs to quit being cheap on defense. Draft higher on defense. And quit bringing in project guys with drug problems, head problems and playing great problems.

That'd be helpful to get spend our cap money on better defence. I think it is imperative that Jerry stop being so cheap on defence and get on with getting the best talent on defence. Like I said, if he's worried about jersey sales, I think it's safe to say we will buy defencive jerseys if it means our defence improves.

kskboys

Reaction score
That'd be helpful to get spend our cap money on better defence. I think it is imperative that Jerry stop being so cheap on defence and get on with getting the best talent on defence. Like I said, if he's worried about jersey sales, I think it's safe to say we will buy defencive jerseys if it means our defence improves.
More like the best talent at NT and S. Buying more LB's and CB's wouldn't fix anything.