Ideas on how to run the ball

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
They obviously fear him since they're playing a 2 deep look, and a standard package. If they loaded the box, as AZ appeared to do, then I would get your point. AZ loaded the box, and then bailed into coverage.

You've hit on something here: Our OL has regressed to the point where there is no need to load the box to stop the run. Now they can stay back and keep Dak confused.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
You've hit on something here: Our OL has regressed to the point where there is no need to load the box to stop the run. Now they can stay back and keep Dak confused.
If he was so confused, how did he score 3 TDs? Seems like the score should've been 25-0. Go back and rewatch the game, we moved the ball fairly easily.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
If he was so confused, how did he score 3 TDs? Seems like the score should've been 25-0. Go back and rewatch the game, we moved the ball fairly easily.

Against a decimated secondary.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Against a decimated secondary.
Those guys get paid too, just ask Tampa, and Arizona, and the multitude of teams that have lost. This is the NFL, any team can lose. If we want a dominant franchise, then get rid of the salary cap.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Better run blocking would help.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Use daks legs for Christ sake. Have ceedee in motion…. Out of the backfield whatever. Use zeke and pollard. Run the option for all I care…. All I know is it works in spurts. It worked yesterday. Tough for the defense to find the ball

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Well, I could but then I would lose whatever respect I have here now. And I am barely hanging onto that as it is.

I try to be upfront, there are a lot of members here with a lot more X's and O's knowledge than I will ever have. I tend to lean to the human side of the game.

There's this "they've got to get back to running the ball" phrase repeated over and over by every analyst but never any concrete ideas to do that. Do we think McC, Moore, Prescott, the OL and RBs and the defense don't want them to do that? I don't think the coaching staff got to the Star today and all looked at each other and exclaimed "hey, we've got to get back to running the ball"!!!

They're playing the #1 run team in the league Saturday night, maybe they can give them some ideas?

I like you already for your honesty. :)

quickccc

Reaction score

the occasional split back , 2 RB offense, misdirection run game that McCarthy exploited in GB .

Fine if Kellen does not want the John Kuhn FB, .but i think far more well design RB screens also needs to be added to the RB attack .

Sorry but the RB scheme needs to be either taken away from Kellen ....or the HC has to make his presence felt to " heavily" implement his mindset and experience
into the RB scheme.

Both Run and Pass. The Cedrick Wilson to Tony Pollard throw back was one clever design involve Pollard- but the RB group and block scheme has to be totally revamped and re-designed.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
There is no fix other than upgrading the OL. They are not good and almost bad. Cardinals were a team that you can absolutely run on.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I don't care what level he goes to.. so long as he goes. I think he's a smart guy and a brilliant offensive mind.. But what he is NOT is a great game day play caller.. McCarthy needs to take that away from him .. hopefully next year..
Yep! I have the same hopes.
Why is McCarthy, who was considered some offensive guru, not calling the plays or at least suggesting plays?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Fact, the Cowboys run game has been declining to an abysmal showing yesterday for just 12 rushes. Neither RB looked good and those two PB OL looked very mediocre. The others looked worse.

This is not about my ideas on how to improve this but you X's and O's guys because I have no football coaching experience.

Without the run game, they are done in the playoffs. Even pass teams need a semblance of a run game in the playoffs.

I do not know if this is even fixable. Neither the OL or RB's look good when they do want to stick with the run. It just looks broken and even AZ missing four starters on their defense knew that.

Rex Ryan stated the obvious "they were good when they were running the ball, they've got to get back to running the ball". But the ex coach didn't offer any suggestions on how to go about doing that.

I have doubts this can be fixed with this roster but I do not know for sure. They did run the ball better earlier in the season with these same OL and RB's and the same OC.

Is this fixable now or do they have to wait until the off season?
Yeah continue running.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
First thing we should do is give #20 the ball more than #21.

quickccc

Reaction score
Use daks legs for Christ sake. Have ceedee in motion…. Out of the backfield whatever. Use zeke and pollard. Run the option for all I care…. All I know is it works in spurts. It worked yesterday. Tough for the defense to find the ball

and the minute we get to using " Dak's legs " ... the minute he will getting to wrestling and trying to physically fight off 300+ pound DLinemen and LBs/DBs trying to drag him down ..again
And we have to go thru that crack- bone or torn ACL ...and devastating permanently injured QB again

- they are trying to get him away from that "take on " mentality and play " smarter" with his legs.

- No RPO design runs anymore. If anything we'll see the QB sneak on 4th and inches or one yard goal line.

- Either Slide ... or run out of bounds when the incoming rush situation calls for it ....

Dalmations202

Reaction score
There is something for everything. It becomes a chess game, and sometimes I think Dallas is playing checkers. Cowboys want to be a dominant team that imposes their will, but plays soft and tries to be a finesse team.

Are we trapping inside, or sweeping? Are we running strong side looking for cutback lanes, or trying to run off tackle? Dives, RPO, Option, Delays........

None work if you can't block, and the line and Zeke seem to be the only blockers I have seen. Get back to fundamentals.

This team does not have LA and that 90s line to just run load left or load right, and lets get a hat on a man and let the RB pick the hole. Emmitt Smith had possibly the best vision I have ever seen in a RB. I was Emmitt Smiths size, played RB, and was pretty close to his 40 speed, but NO ONE would ever consider me in the same universe as him when it came to being a RB, mainly due to his vision.

So how do you improve your running game. 1) understand what your strengths are -- I assure you that running where your TE is at is not it. People are correct TE blocking sucks.
2) Understand where they are bringing the pressure -- are they stunting inside, or are they shooting gaps, or are they two gap holding the inside and looping outside. Utilize this.
3) If you can't run when they don't stack the box, then why would they ever stack the box allowing your WR to go 1v1 ? Force them to stack the box. I have seen almost no one stack the box on Dallas and they still get them out of running mode.
4) I keep hearing the new football has changed, but it has seemed the same thing to me for ages -- just new wrinkles. Passing wins, till it doesn't. Running is overrated, till you don't have it and 8 guys defend your 5 against the pass all game long. Then they run the ball down your throat because your little quick guys are getting hurt by their big uglies, and some no name RB is hitting your D up for 2 and the victory.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Fact, the Cowboys run game has been declining to an abysmal showing yesterday for just 12 rushes. Neither RB looked good and those two PB OL looked very mediocre. The others looked worse.

This is not about my ideas on how to improve this but you X's and O's guys because I have no football coaching experience.

Without the run game, they are done in the playoffs. Even pass teams need a semblance of a run game in the playoffs.

I do not know if this is even fixable. Neither the OL or RB's look good when they do want to stick with the run. It just looks broken and even AZ missing four starters on their defense knew that.

Rex Ryan stated the obvious "they were good when they were running the ball, they've got to get back to running the ball". But the ex coach didn't offer any suggestions on how to go about doing that.

I have doubts this can be fixed with this roster but I do not know for sure. They did run the ball better earlier in the season with these same OL and RB's and the same OC.

Is this fixable now or do they have to wait until the off season?
Good question. I’d say it went down after Elliott was hurt. While he looks somewhat improved he’s still not the same. Shoot, he’s wearing a darn knee brace.

And defenses sense it and are stuffing it. Then Pollard was hurt too. I’m thinking on our roster we don’t currently have a solution. If Pollard can’t carry the load we are done in running game.

I’m not sure by our play calling if we even are trying to develop our running game in the scheme . Nothing more than just trying to keep defenses honest. If we recognize it surely they do and are trying to move the ball basically strictly thru the air.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
A QB that defenses fear would be a start.

For that we have to take some shots down the field , which our QB doesnt ( or OC doesnt call ) and our WRs dont run freely with a lot of separation.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
It takes too much time to get a rhythm, 3 quarters … one score was from 30 yard line too…

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
It takes too much time to get a rhythm, 3 quarters … one score was from 30 yard line too…
How many points do you think we should score against a top team. 30, 40, 50, 100? What's your number?

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
More Pollard and Clement. Keep hammering away at the defense. Throw away the long developing plays and dramatically reduce the number of shotgun snaps.