If Brandon Carr was all pro, would we be more active in free agency?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I guess it didn't work as we know to Jerry which has seemingly haunted him from spending over the last 10+ years in free agency. If it had worked out better and Carr was a great player, would this have changed Jerry's mind, and made him a believer in doing this more often?? Please give your thoughts

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t think it would make any difference. Jerry’s playing a different game today. It’s all about him letting media and fans know it’s his team to do whatever he chooses. I think when he bought the team team it was 20% media, ego, etc. and 80% football. Those numbers have kept moving in the wrong direction.

Today I think it’s the other way around. 80/20. He may wish the team could win a Super Bowl, but he certainly isn’t going to do a damn thing about it.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Carr also never missed a game while playing on his large FA deal here.

I don't understand why this FO is so snake bitten from this deal.
Like I said I guess because he wasn't all pro and they feel like they didn't get the return on their investment

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I don’t think it would make any difference. Jerry’s playing a different game today. It’s all about him letting media and fans know it’s his team to do whatever he chooses. I think when he bought the team team it was 20% media, ego, etc. and 80% football. Those numbers have kept moving in the wrong direction.

Today I think it’s the other way around. 80/20. He may wish the team could win a Super Bowl, but he certainly isn’t going to do a damn thing about it.
I agree and like how you put this!!!

Mr_437

Reaction score
It would be irresponsible if everything was directed towards Jerry. Imo, Stephen is the guy hung up (using it as an excuse) on the Carr deal. Stephen is the one who lives by "the system" he has in place. Honestly, I believe learning all the nuance of being a true GM has past the guy.

Trey Lance = Jerry move. You can see who called the shot of most of the Cowboys moves now.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
It would be irresponsible if everything was directed towards Jerry. Imo, Stephen is the guy hung up (using it as an excuse) on the Carr deal. Stephen is the one who lives by "the system" he has in place. Honestly, I believe learning all the nuance of being a true GM has past the guy.

Trey Lance = Jerry move. You can see who called the shot of most of the Cowboys moves now.
But what was his real reasoning to do the move

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Offhand, I'd say because they were incapable of evaluating his skillset and play and deducing that he was a #2 type CB. It was actually really obvious.
So in essence it's their fault not his, but you'll never hear that admitted

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Beyond any doubt. A simple perusal of his skillset easily showed that he was not a #1 CB.
The fact that they paid him like it, wonder if we had better player personnel would we have done that

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I guess it didn't work as we know to Jerry which has seemingly haunted him from spending over the last 10+ years in free agency. If it had worked out better and Carr was a great player, would this have changed Jerry's mind, and made him a believer in doing this more often?? Please give your thoughts
You're probably right and thats embarrassing.

Creeper

Reaction score
I never bought into the theory that Jerry doesn't spend in free agency because of Brandon Carr. It makes no sense. They had a major bust in drafting Morris Claiborne but that didn't stop them from using first round draft picks, did it? Plus, look around the league. There have been free agents who have succeeded too. I don't think anyone wants Dallas to sign 8 or 9 players every year. But it would be helpful to at least consider 1 or two to fill holes before the draft.

We are going into the draft with so many holes this year. Expecting they can fill all of them and compete for a championship is typical of the owners that prop up our hopes every year only to disappoint us. This year we entered free agency with a gaping problem on defense - stopping the run. Our answer? Feeding Mazi cheeseburgers until he gets back to 330 lbs., as if that will make him a stud DT. And when it doesn't we will be disappointed again.

I don't have an answer to why the Cowboys are not players at all in free agency. Or why they have not extended CeeDee yet, but what if the answer is as simple as Jerry is cheap? I understand there is a limit to what we should spend on any player. It gets to a point where a player is paid so much he cannot produce enough to justify his CAP impact. But perhaps the problem there is setting expectations. Paying a DE for example, does not mean he will produce more sacks. But if he plays to his ability perhaps it helps the team get over the hump.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I don’t think it was Brandon Carr who cause this.

There was a string of guys from Adam Jones to Roy Williams to Terrell Owens to Greg Hardy to Rolando McClain.

It seemed like a disproportionate amount of outside talent brought to Dallas ended up having major character issues that affected on field play. During that era, that made Brandon Carr the bright spot. I wouldn’t be surprised if Jerry is now worried about hurting the Cowboys brand with young men he didn’t “raise.”

rojan

Reaction score
Remember when Stephan bid against himself for Greg Hardy and paid him the equivalent of a franchise tag. I think that’s the one that did it.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
In my opinion it has nothing to do with past FA experiences, it has to do with the rookie contract. The Anti-trust impact is a huge gap between rookies and non rookies. Basically no team wants to pay non rookies. Then what also happened was the players tried to negotiate that the extra money from rookie contract savings would go to the vets. Guess, what happened it all goes to the QB. Bang up job on the latest collective bargaining agreement.