If Brandon Carr was all pro, would we be more active in free agency?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I guess it didn't work as we know to Jerry which has seemingly haunted him from spending over the last 10+ years in free agency. If it had worked out better and Carr was a great player, would this have changed Jerry's mind, and made him a believer in doing this more often?? Please give your thoughts
Maybe. There were a few other deals that also led to their decision, but Carr was the straw that broke the camel's back. I don't know if they wouldn't have come to the same conclusion after the next megadeal that didn't turn out to be a great one.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It really makes no sense. Carr was a solid CB who as you said played every single game. It wasn’t some massive miss in FA.
I don’t think it was the results of that signing. He just happened to be the last one

After the Zack Martin (Stephen) over Johnny Football jersey seller (Jerry) draft choice, the kid seemed to take more control. That’s very clear now.

I don’t know if it’s him being flat out cheap, or he is trying to not be exposed with bad contracts for players he doesn’t know much about….but thinking a winning team can be built through the draft and cooked veterans alone is ignorant, not to mention proven to not work over a large sample size.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Carr also never missed a game while playing on his large FA deal here.

I don't understand why this FO is so snake bitten from this deal.
He never lived up to his deal. He performed like a mid tier FA. A lot of these players that are signing huge FA deals aren’t living up to expectations.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I guess it didn't work as we know to Jerry which has seemingly haunted him from spending over the last 10+ years in free agency. If it had worked out better and Carr was a great player, would this have changed Jerry's mind, and made him a believer in doing this more often?? Please give your thoughts
No this has nothing to do with Brandon Carr. It has to do with Jerry and his lazy son thinking that they can run a pro football team by being the GM. If Jerry and Stephen would stop be *******es and let others run the organization, the Cowboys will be in a much better place.

75boyz

Reaction score
I don’t think it would make any difference. Jerry’s playing a different game today. It’s all about him letting media and fans know it’s his team to do whatever he chooses. I think when he bought the team team it was 20% media, ego, etc. and 80% football. Those numbers have kept moving in the wrong direction.

Today I think it’s the other way around. 80/20. He may wish the team could win a Super Bowl, but he certainly isn’t going to do a damn thing about it.
Great post.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I never bought into the theory that Jerry doesn't spend in free agency because of Brandon Carr. It makes no sense. They had a major bust in drafting Morris Claiborne but that didn't stop them from using first round draft picks, did it? Plus, look around the league. There have been free agents who have succeeded too. I don't think anyone wants Dallas to sign 8 or 9 players every year. But it would be helpful to at least consider 1 or two to fill holes before the draft.

We are going into the draft with so many holes this year. Expecting they can fill all of them and compete for a championship is typical of the owners that prop up our hopes every year only to disappoint us. This year we entered free agency with a gaping problem on defense - stopping the run. Our answer? Feeding Mazi cheeseburgers until he gets back to 330 lbs., as if that will make him a stud DT. And when it doesn't we will be disappointed again.

I don't have an answer to why the Cowboys are not players at all in free agency. Or why they have not extended CeeDee yet, but what if the answer is as simple as Jerry is cheap? I understand there is a limit to what we should spend on any player. It gets to a point where a player is paid so much he cannot produce enough to justify his CAP impact. But perhaps the problem there is setting expectations. Paying a DE for example, does not mean he will produce more sacks. But if he plays to his ability perhaps it helps the team get over the hump.
That was a HORRIBLE comparison about the first round pick first, we're talking about free agency and we don't have to spend big every player available that off season, but get one, hell we haven't signed a major player since him.

Then the draft pick, ok so who wants to really give up a first round pick. Since Mo who have we drafted in the first round that played CB? Byron Jones (I may be wrong) but he was solid you're comparing rookies to vets

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
Carr was never an all pro, let alone a pro-bowler when he was with KC prior so I don't know why that was the standard ....

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How something that could have happened over 10 years ago have had any effect on what happens today is impossible to tell.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
How something that could have happened over 10 years ago have had any effect on what happens today is impossible to tell.
Obvious you don't watch the cowboys I understand! Same thing is how we JUST drafted a DT in the first round, what next a QB!? Lol

plymkr

Reaction score
I don’t think it would make any difference. Jerry’s playing a different game today. It’s all about him letting media and fans know it’s his team to do whatever he chooses. I think when he bought the team team it was 20% media, ego, etc. and 80% football. Those numbers have kept moving in the wrong direction.

Today I think it’s the other way around. 80/20. He may wish the team could win a Super Bowl, but he certainly isn’t going to do a damn thing about it.
Well said!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Carr was never an all pro, let alone a pro-bowler when he was with KC prior so I don't know why that was the standard ....
Jerry spent on him like he was, though, because there were only two top corners available and we needed one. He overpaid for good talent instead of limiting himself to overpaying for great talent. Instead of recognizing that that was the problem with how Dallas used free agency, the Joneses decided not to overpay for any talent and instead only pay cheaply for any outside free agents. A major overreaction from a front office that goes from one overreaction to another.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Carr also never missed a game while playing on his large FA deal here.

I don't understand why this FO is so snake bitten from this deal.
Because we've had not one, but two CBs come in as youngsters and get more interceptions in one season than Carr did his entire career with Dallas. Dallas got burned big time on the Carr deal.

That doesn't mean I agree with going into a turtle shell when it comes to free agency, but Carr was a horrible return on what we expected to get.

kskboys

Reaction score
The fact that they paid him like it, wonder if we had better player personnel would we have done that
Oh, absolutely not. If I can get this info from a frickin' magazine, then the info is out there for all.

Proof

Reaction score
I think so. Dallas seems to only hang on to certain lessons and ignore others.
Carr made them gun shy in free agency. Irvin made them nervous of problem childs, then Moss made them change course and welcome all. They just constantly either over correct, or don't correct at all.