If Cam Newton is on the board for Dallas in the NFL draft next year...

joseephuss

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;3736423 said:
Serious question .. how many spread offense, shotgun only college quarterbacks have succeeded in the NFL? Brees and Orton at Purdue are the only two I can think of.

I can't recall many, either. The ones that have had some success have played more recently. That is probably because the NFL rules changes and interpretations in this current era favor a more wide open passing offense.

Did Big Ben play in the spread at Miami(OH)?

NC State played a lot of shotgun with Rivers. It was not necessarily a spread offense, but I saw him play out of the shotgun quite a bit.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;3736423 said:
Serious question .. how many spread offense, shotgun only college quarterbacks have succeeded in the NFL? Brees and Orton at Purdue are the only two I can think of.

I think he has a chance to be the next one who can take it to the next level. I'm not fan of Auburn but what I see in Cam is a guy that has great touch on his passes, big arm and the ability to make all the needed throws. Not to mention his moblity and strenght. Being a Longhorns fan I did not feel that strong about Young becoming a great QB, Cam I think can become a top QB in the NFL

DFWJC

Reaction score
realtick;3729572 said:
Josh Freeman is much more of a traditional pocket passer than Cam Newton, he was also a lot o more polished coming out of Kansas State. I don't get the comparison other than they're both black and roughly the same size.

I would also say Newton is a better passer than Vince Young coming out.

What needs to be determined is what kind of QB mind the kid has. All the good or elite QBs in the league have superior understanding of how the offense should work and anticipation.

Someone else made the comparison to Rothlisberger, which I initially cringed at. But having thought about it, I could see a little of that in Newton, although I think Newton has the a lot more athleticism than Big Ben.

As for the Cowboys needs, there is no way on Earth I'd want this kid to be our first pick.
Those are all good points.
Josh was much more polished...check.
Cam is a better passer than Vince...check
Cam seems more like Big Ben than Freeman....kind of a check, seeing that Freeman and Ben seem very similar to me. Big, mobile, with a strong arm.
And BTW, Big Ben is pretty (maybe very) athletic himself.
No way I'd want dallas to spend their #1 on Cam...check.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
joseephuss;3736441 said:
I can't recall many, either. The ones that have had some success have played more recently. That is probably because the NFL rules changes and interpretations in this current era favor a more wide open passing offense.

Did Big Ben play in the spread at Miami(OH)?

NC State played a lot of shotgun with Rivers. It was not necessarily a spread offense, but I saw him play out of the shotgun quite a bit.

Roethlisberger took snaps from shotgun in college, yes.

DFWJC

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;3736423 said:
I'm not sure, but didn't Bradford run from the spread? Matt Ryan mostly too? Aaron Rodgers?

Newton does operate under center on occassion, btw.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
DFWJC;3736511 said:
I'm not sure, but didn't Bradford run from the spread? Matt Ryan mostly too? Aaron Rodgers?

Ryan and Rodgers played in Pro Style offenses. OU used quite a bit of spread.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
DFWJC;3736511 said:

None of those guys played in a gimmicky spread option type offense.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It depends on what round. I would not draft him in the 1st round because I don't believe he carries a 1st round grade. I posted this in another thread but basically, he does not have good mechanics. As was mentioned earlier, he doesn't play in a Pro Style offense and there are questions about his involvement with recruiting. He may well turn into a great QB but at this point, I think there are better prospects on the board at QB.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
dbair1967;3736520 said:

Are you kidding me? Bradford's offense was almost wholly identical except he didn't run himself.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
DFWJC;3736511 said:

No, Matt Ryan played in a pro style offense, under center, etc.

DFWJC

Reaction score
dbair1967;3736520 said:
I didn't know for sure, so I was asking. Big Ben was in the shotgun a lot.
For sure OU runs the spread a whole lot, but they do run behind center sometimes.

So really, it may just be Brees and Orton...and maybe Garrard.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
DFWJC;3736542 said:
I didn't know for sure, so I was asking. Big Ben was in the shotgun a lot.
For sure OU runs the spread a whole lot, but they do run behind center sometimes.

So really, it may just be Brees and Orton...and maybe Garrard.

To early to say for sure but you may soon be able to add McCoy to that list as well.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3736253 said:
In another thread/post about another player I explained that very issue.

I said we got lucky with Dez but I don't like pressing our luck two years in a row.

Look...you have your opinions on the guy, I have mine.

I am not one who is questioning his intelligence therefore I am not also one who might have some secret ulterior race motive and stereotyping.

No matter how you feel, you have to agree with my take that if later down the road he gets his tropy or trophies stripped...it will be magnified x10 or more if he is a cowboy.

Furthermore if we were to take a QB high I think we would be better off just going all the way up and getting the best QB on the board who has good basic fundamentals already.

I don't think we should be drafting a QB in the first round...that also plays into why I don't want him.

There is no secret ulterior motive for me concerning the player...what I say is what I mean.
:cool:

The bold is good enough for me. And, no, I didn't read race into your statement. I read it in another statement by another poster but not yours.

Your "character" statement seem to be exclusive, but if you've explained it elsewhere, that's good enough for me. You've always been a direct and standup guy, as far as I'm concerned.

Again, I think character is a big issue and something I would consider. But I think we have to be careful being "super moralistic" (and I'm a big morals guy) because each person's situation is different.

I personally don't think we should take Cam but not because of the character issue. I think he's a different person. I just don't know about him playing in a spread offense and how that translates to the NFL, and I think with other needs on our team, you can't take him in the first round. (Of course, I'm assuming this discussion is centered around taking him in the first. If it's not and if we can get him in the third or fourth, I say go for it.)

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tyke1doe;3737388 said:
The bold is good enough for me. And, no, I didn't read race into your statement. I read it in another statement by another poster but not yours.

Your "character" statement seem to be exclusive, but if you've explained it elsewhere, that's good enough for me. You've always been a direct and standup guy, as far as I'm concerned.

Again, I think character is a big issue and something I would consider. But I think we have to be careful being "super moralistic" (and I'm a big morals guy) because each person's situation is different.

I personally don't think we should take Cam but not because of the character issue. I think he's a different person. I just don't know about him playing in a spread offense and how that translates to the NFL, and I think with other needs on our team, you can't take him in the first round. (Of course, I'm assuming this discussion is centered around taking him in the first. If it's not and if we can get him in the third or fourth, I say go for it.)

I think if we really needed a QB, I might tone down the character concern a tad and be a little more flexible. But since I don't think we should take a QB in the first or second I am a little more rigid in my stance on him.

I think the only QB in this draft class that I would even remotely consider in the first (and it would be very remotely) would be Luck.

Now as you say...if it is the later rounds...I would relax my stance because the possible upside plus the draft position/money, could outweigh the character concerns, but even then I would be a little hesitant.

I mean I would feel better with Robert Quinn in the first, I might not like it much, but it is a position that would help us since Spencer has not continued on his path he started towards the end of last season.

Personally I would rather we wind up taking a good O-line or DB but time will tell.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3737393 said:
I think if we really needed a QB, I might tone down the character concern a tad and be a little more flexible. But since I don't think we should take a QB in the first or second I am a little more rigid in my stance on him.

I think the only QB in this draft class that I would even remotely consider in the first (and it would be very remotely) would be Luck.

Now as you say...if it is the later rounds...I would relax my stance because the possible upside plus the draft position/money, could outweigh the character concerns, but even then I would be a little hesitant.

I mean I would feel better with Robert Quinn in the first, I might not like it much, but it is a position that would help us since Spencer has not continued on his path he started towards the end of last season.

Personally I would rather we wind up taking a good O-line or DB but time will tell.

I don't like the idea of taking a QB in the first round but, if one fell to us, I would certainly hope that we could make a deal for a trade. As far as 1st round talents, I'd say that Luck, Locker, maybe ponder are first round capable, depending. Other then that, I don't know.

joseephuss

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3737458 said:
I don't like the idea of taking a QB in the first round but, if one fell to us, I would certainly hope that we could make a deal for a trade. As far as 1st round talents, I'd say that Luck, Locker, maybe ponder are first round capable, depending. Other then that, I don't know.

Mallett is being viewed as a first rounder.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
joseephuss;3737478 said:
Mallett is being viewed as a first rounder.

Forgot about Mallett. Yeah, he has a lot of natural ability. Based on that alone, he could be a 1st round prospect.

DFWJC

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3737582 said:
Forgot about Mallett. Yeah, he has a lot of natural ability. Based on that alone, he could be a 1st round prospect.
On the surface, it's a banner year to draft a QB.
Easy to see why Buffalo, Jacksonville, Cleveland, SF and others weren't so eager to reach in the 1st round last year and possibly waste a pick based on need (real or perceived) and not value. Clausen didn't go early in round for a reason....and Tebow had no business going in the 1st when you look at what was in the pipeline.
Now I suspect that you can add Tennessee (and certainly Oakland) in the mix.