If Cam Newton is on the board for Dallas in the NFL draft next year...

Rogah

Reaction score
Any team that drafts JaMarcus Newton is unwise. I mean, maybe if he's still available in the 6th round it might be a good move. But no earlier than that.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
I tell you what, as a pure QB prospect on the field, I'd take Newton over Tebow...

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
jimmy40;3729171 said:
Well, since it seems Newton can only be compared to other African American black QBs I'd say he looks better than Josh Freeman.
:laugh2:

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
realtick;3733065 said:
I tell you what, as a pure QB prospect on the field, I'd take Newton over Tebow...
I would, too.

But the off the field stuff, I can't get past, especially when we're talking about a 1st rounder, and even moreso when it's a QB.

Where is the stolen laptop in Romo's past? The money scandal? No way I'm taking a QB in the first round with those questions dogging him. A really good team in the mid or late 1st might take that gamble, but the Cowboys can't afford to.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
burmafrd;3729650 said:
oh come on. That is such a ridiculous statement.

Newton has had only one system, right? So claiming he could play in any system is really funny.

Actually, Newton is a JuCo transfer who was at Florida before he went to Auburn. So he's had to learn at least two and maybe three offensive systems.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
burmafrd;3732218 said:
just like every other big physical prospect, you numbies ignore the mental aspect. In that area he is suspect. Not bad as Jumungous and others, but suspect.

Really?

How so?

How do you know he's mentally suspect?

He has played at a high level despite the controversy surrounding him. He has brought Auburn back from deficits eight times, including a 21-point deficit against the defending national champions (Alabama) in their home stadium.

Exactly how is that not mental toughness?

You're going to have to explain this one.

What gives you any indication he is mentally suspect? :huh:

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
Double Trouble;3733104 said:
I would, too.

But the off the field stuff, I can't get past, especially when we're talking about a 1st rounder, and even moreso when it's a QB.

Where is the stolen laptop in Romo's past? The money scandal? No way I'm taking a QB in the first round with those questions dogging him. A really good team in the mid or late 1st might take that gamble, but the Cowboys can't afford to.

Yeah, I hear you.

Whenever I watch the kid (admittedly, through the lens of a TV camera), I can't help but see a guy who comes off very youthful. During this week's game against South Carolina, he was on the sideline doing something silly with a water bottle. I also see him regularly walking around chin-up in the air pointing and stuff.

Again, admittedly, I don't know what's going on in this guy's mind, so I won't act like I do. But being a young adult myself with life experience, a red-flag goes up in my mind when I watch the kid.

Kind of like when I watched JaMarcus Russell show up to post game press conferences in fur coats, stunners and gaudy jewelry, he just didn't emit an aire of "professional."

Not that he's stupid or dumb, but rather very immature. I have a hard time picturing him taking the time to breakdown film and opponents when nobody is looking.

JMO

Reaction score
realtick;3734036 said:
Not that he's stupid or dumb, but rather very immature. I have a hard time picturing him taking the time to breakdown film and opponents when nobody is looking.

JMO

exactly how I feel. I can't either. He gives off that impression somehow. That he doesn't care. Or that he's just to good.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
I've seen several of Newton's games this year.

An important part of his game is keeping the ball and running between the guards. That won't happen much at the next level.

Even if I were looking to draft a QB, I'd be slow to use a first rounder on Newton. IMO, he's got a whole lot that he's going to need to change. It isn't like he's used to playing in a pro offense. It is bound to take him a while to adjust to the new style of play and it is far from clear that he'll succeed.

I'm not troubled by his "character." Over the past several weeks he's played quite well despite an enormous amount of scrutiny and pressure. IMO, he has demonstrated some real mental toughness and poise. Obviously, those would be favorable traits.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I think it would be hard to justify drafting a QB really high when he has only one true year of experience and success. That is a big gamble. If he is there in the 3rd round, then maybe Dallas could draft him and set him aside as a project. I am not big on one year wonders even though there are a few out there that have panned out to some extent.

I don't see very many similarities between Cam Newton and JaMarcus Russell other than size. Russell was not a runner at all. He had a total of 79 rushing yards during his 3 years at LSU.

burmafrd

Reaction score
One year wonders do not often excell in the NFL. He was nothing special before this year; buyer beware.

Stautner

Reaction score
I really hadn't watched him play and had in my mind that he was probably overhyped and overrated, but I watched some of the SEC championship this weekend adn was impressed. His talent isn't primarioy in his legs, like with Vince Young, so that comparison is off, and I don't believe he's just a big arm like Russell. He put some very nice passes on the money - dropping them right where they needed to be, and he showed patience in the pocket and an ability to scan the field. I think he has a chance to be a much better pro than the guys he has been compared with in this thread.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
I worry about the fact that he has only attempted more then 25 passes ONCE in his NCAA career. That was against S.Carolina last weekend.

There isn't a ton of video on him as a passing threat. I think he is a great college player, fun to watch but at this point I'd def. take Tebow over him (and I don't even like Tim Tebow)

I am really against taking one year wonders. I like drafting guys that played 2-3 years of high level football and have endless amounts of gametape on.

I would be very worried that he'd sign a big deal, play well for a year and then get lazy.

I don't get the Russell comparison at all. Freeman or Tebow I could understand.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Texas_Pete;3729017 said:
Would you be on board with the Cowboys taking him? No diss to Romo, but I could imagine having Cam Newton throwing to Dez for a decade or so...

Thoughts?
I'm not so sure Cam is going to be a great pro. I haven't studied him that closely yet, but from the 4-5 games I've seen, he seems like a great college player who may possibly have decent pro potential.

I'm not even sure he is as good as the last decent Auburn QB to come out. Jason Campbell just didn't need to throw it alot because he had Cad Williams, Ronnie Brown and Brandon Jacobs. Boy, that 13-0 team should have least had a chance to play for a title. What a crime.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
DFWJC;3734592 said:
I'm not so sure Cam is going to be a great pro. I haven't studied him that closely yet, but from the 4-5 games I've seen, he seems like a great college player who may possibly have decent pro potential.

I'm not even sure he is as good as the last decent Auburn QB to come out. Jason Campbell just didn't need to throw it alot because he had Cad Williams, Ronnie Brown and Brandon Jacobs. Boy, that 13-0 team should have least had a chance to play for a title. Waht a crime.

I think they would have beaten USC and Oklahoma who both played in the Nat. Championship game (that ended up being forfeited b/c of Bush)

They got the short end of the stick. How ironic will it be if they win this year only to have it taken away b/c THEY have a player who gets in trouble.

I hope it doesnt, but it will be very ironic.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Muhast;3734608 said:
I think they would have beaten USC and Oklahoma who both played in the Nat. Championship game (that ended up being forfeited b/c of Bush)

They got the short end of the stick. How ironic will it be if they win this year only to have it taken away b/c THEY have a player who gets in trouble.

I hope it doesnt, but it will be very ironic.
:laugh2: Tell me about it. I shouldn't laugh but their fan base would be suicidal. They have had some tough luck over the years. That 10-1 (I think Bo Jackson et al) team that didn't win the title because BYU beat a 6-5 Michigan team was really sad too.

Here are some of the players on the 2004 undeafeated SEC champ team that got left out:

Ronnie Brown--RB
Jason Campbell--QB
Cadillac Williams--RB
Marcus McNeil--OT
Jay Ratliff--DT
Tim Duckworth--OG
Will Herring--FS
David Aromashadu--WR
Ben Obomanu--WR
Carlos Rodgers--CB
Quentin Groves--DE
Patrick Lee-CB
Marquin QWinn--DE
Kody Bliss--P
Travis Williams--LB
Stan McGlover

that's just a few of the NFL players...but there were more...and a bunch of good college-only players too.

Would have been fun to see.

I will say, that USC team was was very good. It's OU that took Auburn's spot, imo.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Muhast;3734551 said:
I worry about the fact that he has only attempted more then 25 passes ONCE in his NCAA career. That was against S.Carolina last weekend.

There isn't a ton of video on him as a passing threat. I think he is a great college player, fun to watch but at this point I'd def. take Tebow over him (and I don't even like Tim Tebow)

I am really against taking one year wonders. I like drafting guys that played 2-3 years of high level football and have endless amounts of gametape on.

I would be very worried that he'd sign a big deal, play well for a year and then get lazy.

I don't get the Russell comparison at all. Freeman or Tebow I could understand.
Agree with the one year wonder issues.

Freeman was much more polished than this guy....very pro-ready. A pocket passer with mobility.
Maybe the Tebow comp works somewhat. His passing motion is no beautiful, but it even it looks better than Timmy's.

joseephuss

Reaction score
DFWJC;3734640 said:
:laugh2: Tell me about it. I shouldn't laugh but their fan base would be suicidal. They have had some tough luck over the years. That 10-1 (I think Bo Jackson et al) team that didn't win the title because BYU beat a 6-5 Michigan team was really sad too.

Here are some of the players on the 2004 undeafeated SEC champ team that got left out:

Ronnie Brown--RB
Jason Campbell--QB
Cadillac Williams--RB
Marcus McNeil--OT
Jay Ratliff--DT
Tim Duckworth--OG
Will Herring--FS
David Aromashadu--WR
Ben Obomanu--WR
Carlos Rodgers--CB
Quentin Groves--DE
Patrick Lee-CB
Marquin QWinn--DE
Kody Bliss--P
Travis Williams--LB
Stan McGlover

that's just a few of the NFL players...but there were more...and a bunch of good college-only players too.

Would have been fun to see.

I will say, that USC team was was very good. It's OU that took Auburn's spot, imo.

Everyone still remembered USC stomping Auburn to open the 2003 season at Auburn and the Tigers finishing the year 8-5. They were expected to do better than that in 2003. I think that played a part in them not being highly regarded through much of the 2004 season and therefore finishing 3rd in the final regular season rankings.

DFWJC

Reaction score
joseephuss;3735554 said:
Everyone still remembered USC stomping Auburn to open the 2003 season at Auburn and the Tigers finishing the year 8-5. They were expected to do better than that in 2003. I think that played a part in them not being highly regarded through much of the 2004 season and therefore finishing 3rd in the final regular season rankings.
True...they held that game nearly two full seasons earlier (and with a different cast of players and maturity and chemistry) against them. But that's how college foootball works...half of it is perception sadly. That USC was great though. It was OU that I had a problem with.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Cameron "Cam" Jerrell Newton (born May 11, 1989[1] in College Park, Georgia) is the starting quarterback for the Auburn Tigers. Newton was initially a member of the Florida Gators. He would later transfer to Blinn College, where his team won a national junior college football championship. Newton was then recruited by head coach Gene Chizik of Auburn University and transferred once more.

Cameron Newton is the younger brother of Cecil Newton, Jr., a center for the Jacksonville Jaguars of the NFL. His father, Cecil Newton, Sr., also played in the NFL (for the Dallas Cowboys).