If Cam Newton is on the board for Dallas in the NFL draft next year...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm not so much in favor of drafting a QB but I think Cam has alot more talent than VY in terms of his passing game and I think Cam will have a good career in the NFL.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Doomsday101;3735650 said:
Cameron "Cam" Jerrell Newton (born May 11, 1989[1] in College Park, Georgia) is the starting quarterback for the Auburn Tigers. Newton was initially a member of the Florida Gators. He would later transfer to Blinn College, where his team won a national junior college football championship. Newton was then recruited by head coach Gene Chizik of Auburn University and transferred once more.

Cameron Newton is the younger brother of Cecil Newton, Jr., a center for the Jacksonville Jaguars of the NFL. His father, Cecil Newton, Sr., also played in the NFL (for the Dallas Cowboys).

I don't see Cecil Newton, Sr. listed anywhere on the all time roster of the Cowboys. Perhaps he was in training camp one year or something, but he was never on the final 53 man roster.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
joseephuss;3735658 said:
I don't see Cecil Newton, Sr. listed anywhere on the all time roster of the Cowboys. Perhaps he was in training camp one year or something, but he was never on the final 53 man roster.

Just found this

Cecil Newton played football for Savannah State from 1979-83. A safety and linebacker, he intercepted seven passes in 1979 and was named to the All-Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference team.

While at Savannah State, Cecil met his future wife, Jackie. Their son Cecil Jr., a former football player at Tennessee State University, was a rookie last season with the NFL's Jacksonville Jaguars.

Cecil Jr., who was born in Savannah, played in two games with the Jaguars. The 6-foot-2, 303-pound center played in three preseason games this season before being cut from the team.

Cecil Sr., contrary to numerous reports, did not play for the Dallas Cowboys. He merely had a tryout with Dallas.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Texas_Pete;3729017 said:
Would you be on board with the Cowboys taking him? No diss to Romo, but I could imagine having Cam Newton throwing to Dez for a decade or so...

Thoughts?

Absolutely not

Gimmick offense college QB's= lousy NFL QB's

burmafrd

Reaction score
we have real needs that can be filled with excellant players.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
burmafrd;3735734 said:
we have real needs that can be filled with excellant players.

Did you see my question to you on the previous page? I asked you what makes you think Cam is mentally suspect?

I'm really looking for a response, though I can see why that would be a question you may want to ignore.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would not want him due to his father and his own integrity.

Whether college players and/or their parents should be paid is one debate but at the current time it clearly is against the rules.

I don't need that.

I said it about another prospect in another draft thread. We are better off getting guys with good character or lack of character concerns.

We have so much visibility as it is that when anything happens that is remotely negative it is amplified by 100.

It will just be a matter of time until the finally do their fake investigation and fake punishment by stripping him of the Trophy (if he wins the heisman) and the school of the championship (if they win the game)...and all of that would be happening while he would be on the Cowboys roster and in turn amplify it 100 times because he was a cowboy.

No thanks.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
realtick;3729572 said:
Josh Freeman is much more of a traditional pocket passer than Cam Newton, he was also a lot o more polished coming out of Kansas State. I don't get the comparison other than they're both black and roughly the same size.

I would also say Newton is a better passer than Vince Young coming out.

What needs to be determined is what kind of QB mind the kid has. All the good or elite QBs in the league have superior understanding of how the offense should work and anticipation.

Someone else made the comparison to Rothlisberger, which I initially cringed at. But having thought about it, I could see a little of that in Newton, although I think Newton has the a lot more athleticism than Big Ben.

As for the Cowboys needs, there is no way on Earth I'd want this kid to be our first pick.

If you watched the Bucs Vs. Falcons game at all last week, you would have been screaming that Freeman plays just like Roethlisberger. So it's funny that you dislike that comparison but like the Roethlisberger one lol.

Freeman is huge. He is more athletic then Roethlisberger. So yes the Freeman and Newton comparison does make some sense. Watch some of Freeman's highlight reels and you'll definitely see why people say he is comparable.

If they were to say Byron Leftwich, then that's a different story :) lol

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Too big of a gamble for a team without a big need at QB. Maybe NE with 2 firsts can take that sort of a gamble but the Cowboys need a guy that will improve the team as a rookie, either a lineman or DB.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
Muhast;3736043 said:
If you watched the Bucs Vs. Falcons game at all last week, you would have been screaming that Freeman plays just like Roethlisberger. So it's funny that you dislike that comparison but like the Roethlisberger one lol.

Freeman is huge. He is more athletic then Roethlisberger. So yes the Freeman and Newton comparison does make some sense. Watch some of Freeman's highlight reels and you'll definitely see why people say he is comparable.

If they were to say Byron Leftwich, then that's a different story :) lol

Because a player is more athletic or just as athletic as another, doesn't make them the same type of player.

I've seen Freeman play from his time at Kansas St. and currently with Tampa Bay. He's a pocket passer who can make a play with his feet (throws on the run) when needed.

Roethlisberger is more of a playmaking thrower than a traditional pocket QB IMO. Cam Newton strikes me as the same type of QB. No comparison is going to match point-for-point, but I think their styles are more similiar.

Newton is a lot more athletic than Freeman and a lot less polished a passer than Freeman.

Anyways, if you think the two are similiar (Freeman & Newton) so be it, I won't argue with you too passionately about it, you could be right.

BTW, Freeman is turning himself into quite a nice young QB.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I think Newton will end up in one of these locations:

Minnesota
Seattle
Arizona
San Francisco
Miami
Tennessee

But I can see the comparisons to Roethlisberger. Big, hard to bring down, big arm. I think Newton will do just fine in the NFL.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
casmith07;3736153 said:
I think Newton will end up in one of these locations:

Minnesota
Seattle
Arizona
San Francisco
Miami
Tennessee

But I can see the comparisons to Roethlisberger. Big, hard to bring down, big arm. I think Newton will do just fine in the NFL.

I agree and the teams you mentioned I feel will be looking for QB and Cam will be high on their list

tyke1doe

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3735768 said:
I would not want him due to his father and his own integrity.

Whether college players and/or their parents should be paid is one debate but at the current time it clearly is against the rules.

I don't need that.

I said it about another prospect in another draft thread. We are better off getting guys with good character or lack of character concerns.

We have so much visibility as it is that when anything happens that is remotely negative it is amplified by 100.

It will just be a matter of time until the finally do their fake investigation and fake punishment by stripping him of the Trophy (if he wins the heisman) and the school of the championship (if they win the game)...and all of that would be happening while he would be on the Cowboys roster and in turn amplify it 100 times because he was a cowboy.

No thanks.

Is lying a character concern? :confused:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3736242 said:
It's not in your world?
Seriously?

I was asking because Dez Bryant lied.

So by your standard, should the Cowboys have passed on him?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tyke1doe;3736246 said:

In another thread/post about another player I explained that very issue.

I said we got lucky with Dez but I don't like pressing our luck two years in a row.

Look...you have your opinions on the guy, I have mine.

I am not one who is questioning his intelligence therefore I am not also one who might have some secret ulterior race motive and stereotyping.

No matter how you feel, you have to agree with my take that if later down the road he gets his tropy or trophies stripped...it will be magnified x10 or more if he is a cowboy.

Furthermore if we were to take a QB high I think we would be better off just going all the way up and getting the best QB on the board who has good basic fundamentals already.

I don't think we should be drafting a QB in the first round...that also plays into why I don't want him.

There is no secret ulterior motive for me concerning the player...what I say is what I mean.
:cool:

joseephuss

Reaction score
tyke1doe;3736246 said:

I agree with BP. Just because you take a chance on one guy, it doesn't mean you keep doing it. You have to limit how many guys you bring to the team who have some lingering questions about them.

It was one thing to bring in TO and it was over the top to then add Tank Johnson and Pacman Jones.

It was one thing to draft Andre Gurode in 2002and it was over the top to then draft Antonio Bryant and Derek Ross. All three guys dropped in that draft for whatever reasons. Nothing wrong with taking a chance on any one of them hoping to get a steal, but you can't make it a common practice. Too many gambles leads to too many failures.

It doesn't have to be just about character, either. I wouldn't draft 3 guys in one year who were all coming back from major knee surgery. Sometimes you have to avoid the risky players.

I don't know enough about Newton's situation to question his character, so I dont' have an issue with it. If there is a question I wouldn't draft him because Dallas already has Dez.

thechosen1n2

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;3729037 said:
I can't agree with this at all.

Are you actually watching his games?

Or simply generalizing off another big African American quarterback from the SEC with a cannon arm?

I was thinkin the same but didnt want to say it.

thechosen1n2

Reaction score
jimmy40;3729171 said:
Well, since it seems Newton can only be compared to other African American black QBs I'd say he looks better than Josh Freeman.

Man I was thinkin the same thing.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Serious question .. how many spread offense, shotgun only college quarterbacks have succeeded in the NFL? Brees and Orton at Purdue are the only two I can think of.