If Cam Newton is on the board for Dallas in the NFL draft next year...

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Texas_Pete;3729032 said:
What did he cheat on? What did he steal? What rules did he violate?

The NCAA investigated him and cleared him. His dad is the likely culprit for all of the allegations. Whether he knew about them or not is another issue. You can't choose your family.

I remember a troubled WR out of Marshall - who JJ admitted he made a mistake in not drafting him - this admission as recent as this year (of course he's not good as he used to be, but he had a bonafide HOF career). I also remember a former pro bowler who did horrible things to dogs - look at him now.

Don't be so quick to judge.

He stole a laptop and then comically threw it out a window when the cops arrived thinking it would foil them.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/college/cam-newton-lame-laptop-thief

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
kmp77;3729042 said:
Florida? Laptop? "money was too good to pass up"????

Hellloooooo McFly??? you in there???

:laugh2: I didn't know that - thanks. He was young and will mature. I'm not sweating that...

For those comparing him to Vince, Vince wish he had the gun that Newton has. His footwork is questionable, but coachable. The only thing I would worry about is whether he will be able to read an NFL defense to showcase his talents.

kmd24

Reaction score
Newton's got his problems, but comparing him to Vince Young or Michael Vick is wrong. He's a much better passer at this point in his career than either of those guys.

Whether he'll be a good pro is debatable, but I'd feel good about it, especially with the prospect of new limits on rookie contracts on the horizon. The big question I have is work ethic. Everything has been easy for this guy so far. Does he have the makeup to grind for three or four years learning how to be an NFL QB?

I don't think I'd draft him if I were Dallas. I think three years from now is probably the time you want to draft Romo's heir, assuming some project player doesn't emerge.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
kmd24;3729059 said:
Newton's got his problems, but comparing him to Vince Young or Michael Vick is wrong. He's a much better passer at this point in his career than either of those guys.

Whether he'll be a good pro is debatable, but I'd feel good about it, especially with the prospect of new limits on rookie contracts on the horizon. The big question I have is work ethic. Everything has been easy for this guy so far. Does he have the makeup to grind for three or four years learning how to be an NFL QB?

I don't think I'd draft him if I were Dallas. I think three years from now is probably the time you want to draft Romo's heir, assuming some project player doesn't emerge.

^^^ This. Good post.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
Right, don't draft him because he took money.
That just doesn't happen in THIS day and age! What a terrible thing to do! He should go undrafted!

Yes, you take him. And I love Romo.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
kmd24;3729059 said:

Great post. :bow:

tunahelper

Reaction score
btcutter;3729022 said:
no way. Vince Young II.

Already money hungry in high school. Imagine in the Pro and limelight of Dallas.:bang2:

I think he will be closer to Jamrcus Russell.

Reaction score
Danny White;3729018 said:
No thanks. He seems like an arrogant thug.

lol... right.

Must be because he steals laptops as an 18 year old kid.

And since he plays with confidence. he must be arrogant.

If thats the case, Dez must really blow.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
kmd24;3729059 said:

You may be right. He does have a strong arm. He needs work on his footwork. He doesn't know how to drop back properly. I seriously doubt he can read defenses. He won't be able to run as well in the pros. He is much faster than he looks but he's not fast enough to run away from many DEs and LBs in the pros.

But someone will draft him fairly high although I doubt he goes in the top five.

The Panch

Reaction score
He's clearly arrogant, but what exactly makes him a thug??

NextGenBoys;3729055 said:
I'm trying to get out of the habit of calling people "black"

Get over it.

He's black. What's the problem with calling him black?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Texas_Pete;3729017 said:
Would you be on board with the Cowboys taking him? No diss to Romo, but I could imagine having Cam Newton throwing to Dez for a decade or so...

Thoughts?
Heavens no. We have real team needs. QB is not one of them.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
The Panch;3729069 said:
He's clearly arrogant, but what exactly makes him a thug??

He's black. What's the problem with calling him black?

Because they're not "black" the color. I recently had this discussion over a few drinks with a few of my "black" friends and they said that like to be called African American rather than "black" regardless of whether they're from Africa or not.

It's my lame attempt to be PC.

The Panch

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;3729071 said:
Because they're not "black" the color. I recently had this discussion over a few drinks with a few of my "black" friends and they said that like to be called African American rather than "black" regardless of whether they're from Africa or not.

It's my lame attempt to be PC.

Fair enough

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Obviously we don't need him, but he'll make a team very happy come next September.

Minnesota?

Sportsbabe

Reaction score

Can you name some more public people you think "seems like an arrogant thug"? Just curious to know what the attributes are so I can too recognize them when I see them.