If Dak can't throw, how do you explain 2016?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Romo's 1st priority was to not get hurt again. Romo was Rice Krispies from shoulder to waist...snap, crackle and pop.
The last injury was the icing on the cake. That was the last time our hearts would be broken.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not so fast. Do you remember the reports from those in the know, those who have sideline passes to practices, etc, other players reporting as well. They all said Romo was literally on fire during practices and was slinging the ball around like they had never seen him before. He was hungry to get back out there. He begged the front office one last time, telling them he was more ready than ever and he was. They smacked him upside the head with pure rejection and now they are paying for it. Not saying Romo could not have been injured again, but to say he was "spent" I know is not accurate. Look what he did coming off the bench for the one single last drive in Philly. He threw three passes you'll never once see Dak throw! In one drive after over a year off! Cowboys messed up and they know it.

I don't think his arm was spent. Probably could have played another 5 years if it was not for his back issues. His back was breaking down. I would have even like to see him play for someone like the Broncos another few years, but it would have been very very risky for him with that back. I get a sense he knew that.

Cap12

Reaction score
writing was on the wall. His body was breaking down and one more bad hit to the back and he could be toast. They made it clear Dak was the starter, he had a great job offer.

But he did choose to quit for all of those reasons. Not sure about offers to play for other teams, but I would bet there was a few.
Yet they played him against one of the best Dlines in the NFL the last game of 2016 and he scorched them So no evidence of being injured. Saw no rust. Yeah, the injuries were a worry, but I don't see Jerry allowing Tony to not compete for the job if he were there. Dak is a terrible practice player so I don't see him winning that job against Romo. Injuries? If he got hurt again, Dak could have just relieved him again. Speaking of Dak and relieving, here's a good baseball analogy. Dak is looking more like that dominant reliever with two great pitches who is not versatle enough to be a good starter. Romo was a good starter.

Cap12

Reaction score
Romo's 1st priority was to not get hurt again. Romo was Rice Krispies from shoulder to waist...snap, crackle and pop.
Obviously you don't know or understand the man because your analysis is WAY off.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Obviously you don't know or understand the man because your analysis is WAY off.
Well, give me his cell and I'll call him up and have a conversation with him. I'll try to obtain some inside information like you have.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
The last injury was the icing on the cake. That was the last time our hearts would be broken.
He should have been cut before the season started once they knew he was missing half the season. They should have known it was time to move on from Tony regardless of how the season played out. It was a smart move to get rid of him in 2017.

Cap12

Reaction score
He should have been cut before the season started once they knew he was missing half the season. They should have known it was time to move on from Tony regardless of how the season played out. It was a smart move to get rid of him in 2017.
Yeah, it sure has worked out well for us since then. Best four minutes of football since Halloween 2016 was Romo's return in 2016. Dak hasn't had a drive that good since.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Yeah, it sure has worked out well for us since then. Best four minutes of football since Halloween 2016 was Romo's return in 2016. Dak hasn't had a drive that good since.
Was the best 4 minutes of Romo's career. He finally got to walk off the field without ruining the season.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I don't think his arm was spent. Probably could have played another 5 years if it was not for his back issues. His back was breaking down. I would have even like to see him play for someone like the Broncos another few years, but it would have been very very risky for him with that back. I get a sense he knew that.

Yep. He missed the first half of 2015 with a broken collarbone, re-broke it after like 2 games, had to get a freaking plated drilled into his shoulder and arm to hold it together, and then the very first hit he took in 2016 was a back injury. Romo's throwing was still fine, but his body had failed him.

Peyton Manning had the opposite issue - his body was almost entirely healthy even after 20 years of pro football and he could not be less reliant on natural athleticism, but his nerve issues completely sapped his throwing arm. I had heard the reason why he wore a throwing glove in Denver was because he couldn't even feel his fingers

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yet they played him against one of the best Dlines in the NFL the last game of 2016 and he scorched them So no evidence of being injured. Saw no rust. Yeah, the injuries were a worry, but I don't see Jerry allowing Tony to not compete for the job if he were there. Dak is a terrible practice player so I don't see him winning that job against Romo. Injuries? If he got hurt again, Dak could have just relieved him again. Speaking of Dak and relieving, here's a good baseball analogy. Dak is looking more like that dominant reliever with two great pitches who is not versatle enough to be a good starter. Romo was a good starter.

Never said anything about rust. IT was the looming one hit and your back is broken problem.

Dak looks nothing like Romo in his prime. Nothing at all at this point.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score

And why did they only leave him out there for one drive? Fear of injury.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
If Dak can throw, how do you explain 2017 and 2018? oh yeah everybody was hurt, the wr, past and present forgot how to get open, and the coaches forgot how to coach. It has nothing to do with him being a backup starting.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
And if things keep playing out like they have it would be smart to look for a QB again.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Typical Romo hate. Romo was seldom the problem but was often blamed.
LOL and typical rainbows and unicorns outlook of Romo from you.

Romo was most definitely part of the problem. Romo lovers are too blind and close minded to acknowledge it though. You can rightfully spot flaws in others, but not in Romo. It's like you have beer goggles on but they are Romo goggles instead.

An example is Dak holding onto the ball too long that you're discussing in another thread. Romo was notorious for doing that. He did that 3 times against the Packers in the 2014 playoff game creating bad down and distances helping to stall drives. We may not have ever had the 4th down play if Romo was smart enough to throw the ball away on the 2nd down play when he was right by the sidelines. He just needed to flip the ball out of bounds. He also fumbled a 3rd down snap that stalled a drive. Even in that game, Romo was part of the problem, but Romo lovers can only see a bad defense, Murray fumble, and Bailey missed kick and cannot see Romo's poor decisions.

But, that is OK. I can remember them on your behalf and you and your Romo loving buddies can still practice your excuse making.

Last edited:

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
lmao... show'em the preseason one td highlight video,, that will prove he's a superstar. LMAO... goo goo magoo Dak.. "he just needs glasses and courage"... hope the wizard guru gives him some courage and some eyes........off to see the wizard...

Cap12

Reaction score
LOL and typical rainbows and unicorns outlook of Romo from you.

Romo was most definitely part of the problem. Romo lovers are too blind and close minded to acknowledge it though. You can rightfully spot flaws in others, but not in Romo. It's like you have beer goggles on but they are Romo goggles instead.

An example is Dak holding onto the ball too long that you're discussing in another thread. Romo was notorious for doing that. He did that 3 times against the Packers in the 2014 playoff game creating bad down and distances helping to stall drive. We may not have ever had the 4th down play if Romo was smart enough to throw the ball away on the 2nd down play when he was right by the sidelines. He just needed to flip the ball out of bounds. He also fumbled a 3rd down snap that stalled a drive. Even in that game, Romo was part of the problem, but Romo lovers can only see a bad defense, Murray fumble, and Bailey missed kick and cannot see Romo's poor decisions.

But, that is OK. I can remember them on your behalf and you and your Romo loving buddies can still practice your excuse making.
Romo wasn't perfect by any definition, but no QB is. Romo was not afraid to throw to open receivers. Dak is cautious to a fault and because of that misses big opportunities and loses games. The Cowboys should have won on Sunday and if any decent QB was playing, we win that game.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Romo wasn't perfect by any definition, but no QB is. Romo was not afraid to throw to open receivers. Dak is cautious to a fault and because of that misses big opportunities and loses games. The Cowboys should have won on Sunday and if any decent QB was playing, we win that game.
The high level acknowledgement of "he's not perfect but no one is". That's a common one too.

Let's see if that applies to others. Murray wasn't perfect, but no RB is. Should get him off the hook for the fumble.
Bailey wasn't perfect, but PK is. Should get him off the hook for the missed FG.
Crayton wasn't perfect, but no WR is. Should get him off the hook for dropping that 2007 3rd quarter pass.

But it shouldn't get someone off the hook. They are all mistakes that added up heavily contributed to a loss, just like Romo's bad sacks and muffed snap against GB and the many others he made. He may not have been the biggest problem, but his mistakes contributed to the losses like everyone else's did.

And, yes, Dak has issues. I'm not going to excuse those, just like I am not going to excuse Romo's.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
lmao, piss moaning about a backup and his lack of courage and eyesight. He might get luck and throw a TD this week and you guys can replay it all week like the preseason TD and proclaim he's super QB again. But just remember he's what he is, a backup QB.