If Dak can't throw, how do you explain 2016?

Cap12

Reaction score
The high level acknowledgement of "he's not perfect but no one is". That's a common one too.

Let's see if that applies to others. Murray wasn't perfect, but no RB is. Should get him off the hook for the fumble.
Bailey wasn't perfect, but PK is. Should get him off the hook for the missed FG.
Crayton wasn't perfect, but no WR is. Should get him off the hook for dropping that 2007 3rd quarter pass.

But it shouldn't get someone off the hook. They are all mistakes that added up heavily contributed to a loss, just like Romo's bad sacks and muffed snap against GB and the many others he made. He may not have been the biggest problem, but his mistakes contributed to the losses like everyone else's did.

And, yes, Dak has issues. I'm not going to excuse those, just like I am not going to excuse Romo's.
By minimizing Dak's issues and maximizing Romo's. makes for a balanced argument. Not.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
By minimizing Dak's issues and maximizing Romo's. makes for a balanced argument. Not.
I'm not minimizing Dak's. Dak has stunk. I just find the yearning for Romo and the claiming Romo was going to lead us to the promise land if only Dak didn't kick him to the curb is laughable.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Ok well he quit. That is a fact. Retiring is quitting. Which is also self admitting that he was spent. But then you can just reference the several broken back problems he had.

He was 100% spent and he 100% quit. Facts are stubborn things.

FYI...……...there are 31 other teams in the NFL. He could played for another team. But he was spent, so he quit.
Ummm No

DFWJC

Reaction score
Got to disagree here. If Dak had pulled a Nick Foles and won the Super Bowl, I might agree, but if Romo comes back in 2017, he could have competed and won his job back. There were a number of people rooting against that (Garrett, Stephen etc.), but I think Jerry would have put his foot down and told Stephen where to go. I don't doubt for a minute that Romo would have won the job from Dak if he wanted to compete for it.

To be honest, I don't think he felt like he should have had to compete for it and in my mind, he was right. If it were a "mid level" TV job, Tony would have either been starting for Dallas, Denver, Houston or another contender, depending on how tough the contingent to get him out, worked to get Jerry to let him go. Jerry has a serious blindspot when it came to Tony and without the CBS job, I don't see Jerry allowing Tony to play elsewhere without a huge fight. The CBS job was the rarest pearl and too good to walk away from.
No.
This is set in stone.
It was made 100% clear to Romo directly that Dak was the starter.

Now this does not mean that if we got late into the season a d if Dak stated really stinking, like he was late last year, that Romo would not have gotten a shot. But there was no way to know that.

He was told in the offseason straight up, however, that Dak was the starter and the job was NOT going to be a competition.

This is 100% the top reason why he retired.
The great job offer just made it easy for him to not pursue work with another team as agressively.

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
Romo is my favourite Cowboys QB of all-time but his body can't take NFL hits anymore
I truly believe he was a massively underrated QB. He did stuff in the pocket I've never seen any QB do before. Aikman was more consistent, system player and strong arm passer then Romo, but sheer raw talent, pocket presence and just a shifty nose for this game, Romo was by far superior.

Haimerej

Reaction score
The high level acknowledgement of "he's not perfect but no one is". That's a common one too.

Let's see if that applies to others. Murray wasn't perfect, but no RB is. Should get him off the hook for the fumble.
Bailey wasn't perfect, but PK is. Should get him off the hook for the missed FG.
Crayton wasn't perfect, but no WR is. Should get him off the hook for dropping that 2007 3rd quarter pass.

But it shouldn't get someone off the hook. They are all mistakes that added up heavily contributed to a loss, just like Romo's bad sacks and muffed snap against GB and the many others he made. He may not have been the biggest problem, but his mistakes contributed to the losses like everyone else's did.

And, yes, Dak has issues. I'm not going to excuse those, just like I am not going to excuse Romo's.

My thing is, if the only thing that sets them apart is, "this guy might get injured," I'm willing to take that risk if he is. There's no doubt in my mind that Romo was the better QB. He understood offensive/defensive concepts better, made quicker reads, and was more accurate. Sure, they ran zone reads with Dak. But those are overrated plays used mainly by QBs who struggle throwing downfield. They weren't needed before and most teams with better than average passers don't use or need them.

jnday

Reaction score
The offense sucks, right? Not a glowing endorsement of him.
When the entire defense is focused on stopping Zeke, it is hard for him do very much without a QB capable of throwing some completions to keep the defense honest.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
When the entire defense is focused on stopping Zeke, it is hard for him do very much without a QB capable of throwing some completions to keep the defense honest.
Then maybe we should have moved up and gotten Wentz. The coaches had time to evaluate and they should have known Romo was on his last legs. When the running game was still near tops of the league with inept QBs like Weeden, Cassel, and Moore we didn't need to use a premium pick on a running back to improve a strength. We were already getting solid production out of our running backs and those QBs weren't scaring anyone. Teams were gearing up to stop our running attack in 2015 too. We were also already controlling the clock on offense.

jnday

Reaction score
With the exception of his rookie year, Dak has never been a great QB prospect. He is showing the same faults that he had in college. There is nothing to debate concerning his ability to be a quality NFL QB. Making 50 threads about him is only wasting time. The only QB threads that now interest me is about the top QB prospects in the next draft. That should be every fans concern. I hope it is Jerry's concern too.

Cap12

Reaction score

Then maybe we should have moved up and gotten Wentz. The coaches had time to evaluate and they should have known Romo was on his last legs. When the running game was still near tops of the league with inept QBs like Weeden, Cassel, and Moore we didn't need to use a premium pick on a running back to improve a strength. We were already getting solid production out of our running backs and those QBs weren't scaring anyone. Teams were gearing up to stop our running attack in 2015 too. We were also already controlling the clock on offense.
The only way to have been gauranteed getting Wentz was to trade with the Titans and that would have cost us 1200 points worth of draft picks (basically pick #4, at least a 3rd, if not a second in 2016 and a first in 2017). Not worth it considering that we would not have any running back and at the time, there was no gaurantee that Wentz would even play right away. if you want to claim that Romo got hurt, fine, then you could argue that Wentz was hurt last season. Either way, this team as a whole would not be as good.

You could argue that we could have traded with the Browns like the Eagles did for less, but then we would have gotten into a bidding way with Philly and spent just as much in the process. Either way, you are really dialling up the old hindsight meter here and gambling on a FCS QB and possibly ruining your 2017 draft in the process. Likely this team would have struggled in 2016 and we wouldn't even had the drat pick to help us out, adding insult to injury. Too many needs on Defense.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
With the exception of his rookie year, Dak has never been a great QB prospect. He is showing the same faults that he had in college. There is nothing to debate concerning his ability to be a quality NFL QB. Making 50 threads about him is only wasting time. The only QB threads that now interest me is about the top QB prospects in the next draft. That should be every fans concern. I hope it is Jerry's concern too.
At least we have someone looking forward instead of backwards. I hope our fans aren’t crying about Dan Bailey 3 years from now.

zeke21

Reaction score

Yikes. Spot on analysis. Shame our coaches don't seem to watch film nor does Dak..

And Romo wasn't allowed to compete for his job in 2016 which was wrong then and has proven to be a complete disaster for the organisation. Most rumours were that Romo was destroying it at training and would have easily won any kind of competition for the top job and hence why it was shut down and he decided to retire gracefully rather than start swinging.

For any doubters.. go and watch Romos last ever drive in the game.. pure poetry. What his arm could have done behind that 2016 line and with Zeke in the backfield.. gives me shivers. We pretty much threw away a ring for Dak.. made me sick at the time and now I'm beyond disgusted and angry.

I agree we don't need 50 threads on it though.. the whole world now realises how crap our QB is.. it is going to be a long long season. Would it be worth making a call to a bridgewater or even fitzpatrick?!!

Cap12

Reaction score
From what I understand there is a dearth of ready-to-play-at-the-next-level QB talent in the 2019 draft. If we wanted to make a move for a QB, last year would have been the year. So, I see this season as a wait and see kind of thing with Dak and see how White develops in the meantime. If Dak doesn't pan out, hopefully White will show enough that he can step in until we can find/draft anything better.

If that scenario doesn't work for you, you need to root as hard as you can for Dak. Like it or not, his development is our best hope for the next couple of years.

fishspill

Reaction score
Yikes. Spot on analysis. Shame our coaches don't seem to watch film nor does Dak..

And Romo wasn't allowed to compete for his job in 2016 which was wrong then and has proven to be a complete disaster for the organisation. Most rumours were that Romo was destroying it at training and would have easily won any kind of competition for the top job and hence why it was shut down and he decided to retire gracefully rather than start swinging.

For any doubters.. go and watch Romos last ever drive in the game.. pure poetry. What his arm could have done behind that 2016 line and with Zeke in the backfield.. gives me shivers. We pretty much threw away a ring for Dak.. made me sick at the time and now I'm beyond disgusted and angry.

I agree we don't need 50 threads on it though.. the whole world now realises how crap our QB is.. it is going to be a long long season. Would it be worth making a call to a bridgewater or even fitzpatrick?!!
I think the Romo-Dak thing was no win. I strongly doubt Romo would have held up physically during the rest of the season. What’s important now is making sure the organization doesn’t throw big money at a flash in the pan.

jnday

Reaction score
From what I understand there is a dearth of ready-to-play-at-the-next-level QB talent in the 2019 draft. If we wanted to make a move for a QB, last year would have been the year. So, I see this season as a wait and see kind of thing with Dak and see how White develops in the meantime. If Dak doesn't pan out, hopefully White will show enough that he can step in until we can find/draft anything better.

If that scenario doesn't work for you, you need to root as hard as you can for Dak. Like it or not, his development is our best hope for the next couple of years.
Dak is Dak. He is not going to improve. He has been the same player for years. There is a couple decent QB prospects in next year's draft. That is our only hope to win before the current players are too old and needs replaced.

Cap12

Reaction score
Dak is Dak. He is not going to improve. He has been the same player for years. There is a couple decent QB prospects in next year's draft. That is our only hope to win before the current players are too old and needs replaced.
Fortunately, I doubt we'll be bad enough to get one of those prospects, A halfway decent QB prospect will equal a top ten pick at least because people overpay for QBs.