If Dak craps the bed in the playoffs

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
A single fourth round draft pick is not a notable concession for getting any player in a trade.
We've gotten some great value out of our 4th rounders (Pollard, Schultz, Ferguson, Biadasz, Armstrong), but acquiring a 3rd overall pick QB with 2-3 years left on a rookie deal is definitely worth the risk-- especially considering he really hasn't gotten that much of a fair shake in SF.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
How do you fit a middle of the road guy in when you're dead cat for your current quarterback is close to $60 million, and even the next year it's like ie 24 $39 million,

and those middle of the road guys are making 30mil how do you fit Daks dead cap # under the cap and pay them as well??!!,,.. nope its dak or a chaep guy like dalton, rush or baker etc..

BTW im talking about the other 16 teams all vying for the next great qb they are taking up the QB pool.. if theres not enough for 32 we should get rid of a good one to fight 16 other teams for our next one?
I'm not saying the Cowboys will go grab another QB, I agree with you that in their situation it's not realistic, I'm just saying that its not the 90s in terms of being able to find alternate QB options and teams have been open to getting creative. For the Cowboys It's Lance showing potential, something crazy happening during the draft (which is probably too late anyways) or bust on moving on from Dak. For that reason it's possible, but I do think still the most likely scenario is a Dak extension. I just don't think the moving on from Dak conversations should be instantly shut down. It's probably a 10% chance, but that's still a reasonable chance of it actually happening.

Any my bad on the 16 team comment, I misunderstood. To play devils advocate though with half the league searching for a QB you do open the possibility of a Dak trade, although again I would say is 100% dependent upon Lance.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
no that's why you trying to keep Prescott until after 24 than a guy like lance might be ready then... i mean how long did Aaron rogers and love sit and wait thats a LT goal for your future QB 2 years that not long to resurrect Trey...
And you may be right, but development for two QBs will never be the same. Maybe Lance is ready after 2023, maybe he isnt. Maybe things even click and passes Rush on the depth chart during the season. I have zero idea, but I don't think its unreasonable to be patient on the subject and reevaluate everything in February. The exception being if Dak is willing to structure something team friendly now, then I think it makes total sense for Jerry to pull the trigger.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Why can't you cut him? It seems like after this season is the first year that moving on from Dak is actually possible. You have a potential and I will stress "potential" replacement in house and you can save over $30MM next year by moving on from Dak. I get that there is still a ton of dead money that the Cowboys would have to eat, but an extension doesn't completely solve that issue either.

I agree that the most likely scenario is Dak getting resigned, but it seems foolish to me for people to just completely dismiss the idea.
Because if you cut him - even as a Post June-1 cut - he costs you ~$25m against the cap. You're still paying him as a QB1 for two years and, in 2025, you'd also be paying Lance (or another QB) big money.

If you want to cut him and commit to a rebuild, fine, but this isn't that type of roster.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We've gotten some great value out of our 4th rounders (Pollard, Schultz, Ferguson, Biadasz, Armstrong), but acquiring a 3rd overall pick QB with 2-3 years left on a rookie deal is definitely worth the risk-- especially considering he really hasn't gotten that much of a fair shake in SF.
I much better prefer anyone describing Trey Lance's exit from San Francisco as 'hasn't gotten that much of a fair shake' than 'he did not get a shot'--despite the fact Kyle Shanahan elevated him to starter last season.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I much better prefer anyone describing Trey Lance's exit from San Francisco as 'hasn't gotten that much of a fair shake' than 'he did not get a shot'--despite the fact Kyle Shanahan elevated him to starter last season.
Yeah he definitely got a shot. He just got a little unlucky with the injury and Purdy's rise.

Maybe he doesn't pan out, but I feel like other teams were stupid not to take that trade.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
A single fourth round draft pick is not a notable concession for getting any player in a trade.
I disagree with how the Cowboys operate. To some teams yeah a 4th rounder isnt much but the Cowboys are a draft focused team as far as roster development goes. Jerry is pretty tight with his picks.

Cooks was for a 5th/6th. Gilmore was a 5th rounder. Jerry paid more for Lance than he did those two guys and it's not like lance is coming in on a vet minimum contract either. cap hits of $6 and $5MM the next two seasons. That's a massive amount for a 3rd string qb.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Because if you cut him - even as a Post June-1 cut - he costs you ~$25m against the cap. You're still paying him as a QB1 for two years and, in 2025, you'd also be paying Lance (or another QB) big money.

If you want to cut him and commit to a rebuild, fine, but this isn't that type of roster.
All true, but for 2024 it's really a non issue. Dak cut/traded post 6/1 + Lance = roughly $31MM in cap hits which isn't the end of the world by any means.

I do agree that 2025 gets tricky and this is also where I struggle with the cap rules so please educate me if you know the answer. My assumption is that the money in the void years doesn't just go away with an extension, right? I would think it's either due that year if the player is not on the roster or it can be spread out in a new deal, but will never actually go away. I understand the purpose of void years, but don't fully know the flexibility with them. Depending on that I may change my tune of the Dak/Lance dynamic.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I disagree with how the Cowboys operate. To some teams yeah a 4th rounder isnt much but the Cowboys are a draft focused team as far as roster development goes. Jerry is pretty tight with his picks.

Cooks was for a 5th/6th. Gilmore was a 5th rounder. Jerry paid more for Lance than he did those two guys and it's not like lance is coming in on a vet minimum contract either. cap hits of $6 and $5MM the next two seasons. That's a massive amount for a 3rd string qb.
I believe picks depreciate year to year. Wouldn't a fourth pick, involved in a 2023 trade, decrease in value to a fifth rounder? If so, the Cooks and Gilmore pick values would end up being somewhat equivalent to Lance's.

Plus, the overall salary cap nominally increases each year. Future cap hits would be somewhat offset by those gains as well in my opinion.

Additionally, Lance's pre-Dallas depth status will not factor into his post-San Francisco projection. I think observers who liked or disliked the trade both agree Lance is projected to raise himself on the depth chart. The cap hits may remain the same but they will be more in line with compensation given to backup quarterbacks than third stringers.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
All true, but for 2024 it's really a non issue. Dak cut/traded post 6/1 + Lance = roughly $31MM in cap hits which isn't the end of the world by any means.

I do agree that 2025 gets tricky and this is also where I struggle with the cap rules so please educate me if you know the answer. My assumption is that the money in the void years doesn't just go away with an extension, right? I would think it's either due that year if the player is not on the roster or it can be spread out in a new deal, but will never actually go away. I understand the purpose of void years, but don't fully know the flexibility with them. Depending on that I may change my tune of the Dak/Lance dynamic.
Correct in 2024, but I don't know how anybody can feel good thinking Trey Lance is going to be the QB on a Super Bowl contender. There's no logic to that.

No the void years don't go away, so you'd be adding bonus numbers onto that. Dak would still be more expensive, but he'd be a lot cheaper in 2024 because they'll get rid of his base salary.

2025 is why you can't cut Dak and depend on Trey Lance. Dak's cap hit, minimum, is ~25m. Trey Lance's 5th-year option is going to be close to that, but Dallas won't be able to commit to that next May. So if Lance is good as a starter in 2024, you're talking a long-term extension for him starting in 2025 that's going to cost something near $50m anyways.

You're not saving anything in 2024 and making 2025 ridiculously expensive for a serious question mark.

Gambit

Reaction score
For the fans to make that determination I agree we (hopefully) won't get enough or any exposure to Trey. He still will have the next five months with this organization that will see him 6 days a week in practice, drills, and the film room. They will get an opportunity to understand what they have. It's not like 3rd string QBs just sit there and hold the clipboard in practice all week.
The biggest area of concern for him is he just hasn't played enough football. Dak gets most snaps, Cooper second most and what little is left is for Trey. There simply won't be enough body of work there in season for them to decide yes, this guy is the guy lets let Dak go is my point.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I'm not saying the Cowboys will go grab another QB, I agree with you that in their situation it's not realistic, I'm just saying that its not the 90s in terms of being able to find alternate QB options and teams have been open to getting creative. For the Cowboys It's Lance showing potential, something crazy happening during the draft (which is probably too late anyways) or bust on moving on from Dak. For that reason it's possible, but I do think still the most likely scenario is a Dak extension. I just don't think the moving on from Dak conversations should be instantly shut down. It's probably a 10% chance, but that's still a reasonable chance of it actually happening.

Any my bad on the 16 team comment, I misunderstood. To play devils advocate though with half the league searching for a QB you do open the possibility of a Dak trade, although again I would say is 100% dependent upon Lance.
except he would have to approve the trade prescott has a no trade clause and no franchise tag clause i also believe how it works is the dead cap sticks with us whether he's traded or cut, 40 to $60 million to not be here and they get a better quarterback while we have a worse one?? i realize crazier things have happened But it's going to hurt the rest of the team... so we will have an average to worst QB to go along with paying CD lamb and Micah parsons that doesn't make any sense. if you want to blow up the team then start trading all these pieces now... you trade CD lamb and Micah parsons then you use those draft picks and fresh money to go after another quarterback and then cut Prescott and start over LOL

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How's Trey Lance progressing? That's the X factor in all this.
Not really. He needs at least a full year and likely more since he didn't have the offseason with the Cowboys.

So the Cowboys have to make a decison about Dak before Lance is even in the conversation.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seems ridiculous to me that we are just assuming Jerry gave up a 4th round pick to punt on Lance this season and a player down the depth chart can't progress during the season.
We aren't assuming he did. We know he straight up did.