If Dak gets injured

leeblair

Reaction score
Prior to his last contract, Dak suffered a season ending injury. The Cowboys struggled without a quarterback, and the pressure was on Jerry to "do the right thing" and extend Dak; resulting in the contract that he received that has kept the Cowboys from moving on.
So now with Dak set to play out his last remaining year on a disastrous contract, does an injury pose the possibility of him once again being able to reap the benefits of a "pity" parade that could pressure Jerry into an even bigger mistake with another contract?

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Better chance of McCarthy getting extended before Dak........I believe after the playoff debacle of the last three years that there was a long sit down evaluation of Dak's game and the decision in the room was to move on from Dak, let him play out his contract and start a new....We won't know everything that happened during that organization evaluation anytime soon but leaks will come at some point as to what happened. I like Dak, he'a good quarterback but 8 years of watching has shown me he's just not good enough to win a Championship.

Jipper

Reaction score
Prior to his last contract, Dak suffered a season ending injury. The Cowboys struggled without a quarterback, and the pressure was on Jerry to "do the right thing" and extend Dak; resulting in the contract that he received that has kept the Cowboys from moving on.
So now with Dak set to play out his last remaining year on a disastrous contract, does an injury pose the possibility of him once again being able to reap the benefits of a "pity" parade that could pressure Jerry into an even bigger mistake with another contract?
sick of jerry "doing the right thing" for the individual player - do the right thing for the cowboys and this fan base.

Havic

Reaction score
Dak is what he is and will never break his ceiling. A good regular season qb who can get you to the playoffs but not far into them

The problem with him is the same stance this team takes with free agents. You don’t want to pay good players elite money.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
I don't think this affects cowboys at all.

I'd be more curious about DAK'S plan when it comes to health. If he feels a tweak in his hammy, is he gonna say he needs to sit out for 3 weeks (to ensure he doesn't have a major injury that would affect his next contract which I'm sure he's hoping is Kirk Cousins-esque)?

Just wondering if he's gonna say "screw the team" and wrap himself in cellophane to prevent injury.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Dak is what he is and will never break his ceiling. A good regular season qb who can get you to the playoffs but not far into them

The problem with him is the same stance this team takes with free agents. You don’t want to pay good players elite money.
All Pro says he’s better than “good” unless your argument is everyone is “good”.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Kirk Cousins is recovering from an Achilles injury and ATL paid him $45M per, so regardless of injury or not Dak would still get his 50+ per.

Jerry is gonna do what makes the most money for his business, and Dak has been good for business, there's no pity or any of that imho.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lol. I extremely doubt Jerry Jones gave Dak Prescott a contract last time out of pity. The man believes he is a master talent evaluator. He got fully behind Prescott as his franchise quarterback two months into a rookie fourth-round draft pick's career. Similarly, he went 'all in' on an undrafted free agent Tony Romo after he replaced an injured Drew Bledsoe.

What Jones will finally do THIS time with Prescott cannot get here soon enough. On the one hand, some have ridden off Prescott years before today. On the other hand, Jones has not yet said anything definitive about Prescott's future beyond 2024. A decision will eventually be made that will either mirror what Jones has always done OR what is totally out of left field for him.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
What do you mean if he gets injured? He already is! He might not be injured physically, but mentally he is off the charts injured when the lights shine bright.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Daks injury is not why he got paid, if anything the injury presented an opportunity for the cowboys to walk away or offer less
That is a good point. Why didn't Jerry Jones go in a different direction or played hardball with that contract negotiation if his evaluation of Dak Prescott was the same as Prescott's most ardent critics?

I think Jones' evaluation skills are the central point of all these what ifs. No one else is approving any player contracts. Not fans. Not the media. Not Will McClay. Not Stephen Jones. The buck always stops with him.

Yes. Jones is disappointed in the playoff exits. Yes. He was disappointed with how Prescott performed against the Packers. Is Jones as disappointed as those who have already kicked Prescott to the curb? It is the number one question hanging out there right now because it will dictate whether Jones stays the course or cut bait with Prescott.

leeblair

Reaction score
Daks injury is not why he got paid, if anything the injury presented an opportunity for the cowboys to walk away or offer less
The Cowboys should have walked away, but I think Jerry was under tremendous pressure to extend him and pay him way too much or risk alienating a huge portion of the NFL fan base.
I hope that won't be the case this time. Around social media more people than ever are sick of Dak Prescott and they aren't buying into the relentless propaganda put out by his agent and family.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
The Cowboys should have walked away, but I think Jerry was under tremendous pressure to extend him and pay him way too much or risk alienating a huge portion of the NFL fan base.
I hope that won't be the case this time. Around social media more people than ever are sick of Dak Prescott and they aren't buying into the relentless propaganda put out by his agent and family.

It wasn’t the case the first time. They did it because they believed in dak then and he earned the deal, was not done because of Injury