If Dak hits open market this year, does anyone think he would get 40m+ per year?

SackMaster

Reaction score
TL ; DR - Yes, I do think Dak could get a $40 million contract in free agency.

Why?

There are 9 teams that have ~$29+ million in cap room for 2021, with all but 2 having a big need at QB. The teams are:
  1. Jags
  2. Jets
  3. Patriots
  4. Colts
  5. Broncos
  6. Washington
  7. Bengals
  8. Dolphins
  9. Panthers
I would count out the Colts and Bengals since they have young "good" QB on their rosters right now.

I would also count out the Jags and Jets since they pick 1/2 in the draft and can get the QBs of their choice without giving up anything else.

So that leaves:
  • Patriots - Oh, that is interesting. NE does not pay a lot for fre -agents, but after the failure of not having a good QB last year, they could be willing to pay now.
  • Broncos - I could see it considering they don't have anything viable at QB right now.
  • Washington - There is apparently interest, and with the D they currently have, they would be tough with a Dak-like QB.
  • Dolphins - They spent a Top-5 pick on Tua last year, but Tua had a very mixed rookie year. So I would say doubtful, but would not be surprised either.
  • Panthers - They could cut Bridgewater this year and save anywhere from ~$3 to $8 million (pre vs post June cut), and use that to help pay Prescott. I don't think it would be a long shot either considering, at least IMO, Teddy is only a backup at the NFL level now.
Even the 49ers could go after Dak with just a little bit of roster manipulation.

So again, I believe if Dak was a Free Agent this year, I think he could get ~$40 million a year by 4 or 5 possible teams.

But I don't think a team would give up two first rounders AND sign him to such a large contract. Especially since there is virtually no reasonable way for the Cowboys to tag him 3 years in a row. They can afford to wait a year, make sure Dak's injury does not have any long-term effects, and then get him for the "market price" instead of "market + premium draft picks".

Anyways, JMHO.

Praxit

Reaction score
..a desperate team for sure. Yet, its always more about chemistry, coaching, players..etc.

Redline360

Reaction score
I would say he would probably fetch 40m from a desperate team if he didn't suffer a massive season ending injury and finished the season strong.

Now imo it would be down right lunacy to give him that much on an unproven ankle. To much of a gamble and he may very well never be the same(mentally).

Hes going to get tagged to prove he can play at a high level still

T-RO

Reaction score
There are teams who haven't stupidly spent on running backs, mediocre linebackers, etc.

So yes, I think a team, maybe two would go near $40 mil for Dak.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Between 36-40 yes. Without looking at cap sheets teams who’d be interested just by nature of the position- Chicago, Carolina, Denver, Washington, New England. Now I’m not sure of the space for all those teams but all it takes is 2 teams to really have interest and he’s getting paid.

kumizi

Reaction score
Yes, easily. I'm not even a Dak guy but franchise QBs in their prime are never available in free agency. That's why he and Todd France have all the power in these negotiations.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If Dak were to hit the open market this year, does anyone think he would get 40+ MM / year? I'm not sure other teams are that high on him

If this weren't a season of reduced cap after down year for owners from Covid, definitely. A little harder this season now, *but* if the tv contracts start coming in at the rates projected, Dak won't be accepting 40mil anymore.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
If Dak wanted 40/yr over 5 years he would get it.
Who know whats true, but if he wants close to 44/yr on a 3 year deal I tell him he is officially on the trade market and inform him who he can negotiate contracts with.