If Dak signs a long term deal, does Lance seek a trade?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What would be the point of Lance wanting to stay?? Please give your thoughts

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
What leverage does Lance have to even ask for a trade? He went to the Cowboys for just a 4th round pick last year...It's not like he becomes more valuable with a year less of control.

The best thing Lance could do right now is stay under the radar, do whatever the Cowboys ask him to do, put in work every day, and if he gets a chance to play in 2024 show the world how much he's progressed. There is a small chance that the Cowboys give him a shot to start in 2024, but realistically his best chance to play is going to be in 2025 after he hits free agency.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What leverage does Lance have to even ask for a trade? He went to the Cowboys for just a 4th round pick last year...It's not like he becomes more valuable with a year less of control.

The best thing Lance could do right now is stay under the radar, do whatever the Cowboys ask him to do, put in work every day, and if he gets a chance to play in 2024 show the world how much he's progressed. There is a small chance that the Cowboys give him a shot to start in 2024, but realistically his best chance to play is going to be in 2025 after he hits free agency.
I agree with that, I just don't like that we gave up a 4th, i'll be even more upset draft day, but i'll get over it!!!

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Trey Lance first has to prove that he can at least be a solid back up QB before he can convince other teams that he can be a better starting QB than the one they currently have or the one they can get through the draft. The 49ers still traded him away with the QB friendly system they have. We don't know what Trey Lance can even be until he starts to see some time on the field during preseason or in regular season if Dak gets injured.

He still has a lot of work to do in order to convince other teams that he could make for a solid season long starter IMO.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Trey Lance first has to prove that he can at least be a solid back up QB before he can convince other teams that he can be a better starting QB than the one they currently have or the one they can get through the draft. The 49ers still traded him away with the QB friendly system they have. We don't know what Trey Lance can even be until he starts to see some time on the field during preseason or in regular season if Dak gets injured.

He still has a lot of work to do in order to convince other teams that he could make for a solid season long starter IMO.
it's going to be exciting to see this summer

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What would be the point of Lance wanting to stay?? Please give your thoughts
Gone..................ASAP along with 50% of the fan base.
How the heck is Jerry gonna sell this extension????

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I agree with that, I just don't like that we gave up a 4th, i'll be even more upset draft day, but i'll get over it!!!
I don't sweat it too much simply because QB depth is important. Plus realistically unless he just completely impodes as a prospect Lance leaving for another team after this year should result in the Cowboys picking up a comp pick anyways. I almost view it as you're trading a draft pick forward a year to gamble on Lance. Realistically if Lance gets some playing time this year and his stock points up the Cowboys may even get a 3rd round comp pick for him.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
Let me list you off the last 4th round draft picks and i will BOLD impact players/starters

- Viliami Fehoko
- Jake Ferguson - TE1
- Jabril Cox (injury bust)
- Josh Ball
- Reggie Robinson
- Tyler Biadasz - C1
- Tony Pollard - RB1
- Dorrance Armstrong - DE3/ST1
- Dalton Schultz - TE1

- Ryan Switzer
- Dak Prescott - QB1
- Damien Wilson (STARTER WHILE HERE)
- Anthony Hitchens (STARTER WHILE HERE)

I've laid it out very clearly here they are looking for starter production with their 4th round pick, maybe not right away but definitely going into year 3.

Jipper

Reaction score
Bet he is a future starter either here or traded for a 3rd or better