If Gallup signs with another team for 16m what is our comp pick?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just how much is Gallup going to get featured as the 3rd WR option? You know they'll want to show Lamb off and justify Cooper's contract and if they open up the game to pass as much as Prescott was doing through 4.5 games, they will end up with a losing season.

If they really wanted to do Gallup a solid, they'd trade him and let him get his new deal done. They've got plenty of weapons to get the job done without him.

The Cowboys focus should be re-establishing the run game and stopping the opposition's. Not having 3 1K yard WR's and a losing record. That's one of those infamous Booger's moral victories.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Just how much is Gallup going to get featured as the 3rd WR option? You know they'll want to show Lamb off and justify Cooper's contract and if they open up the game to pass as much as Prescott was doing through 4.5 games, they will end up with a losing season.

If they really wanted to do Gallup a solid, they'd trade him and let him get his new deal done. They've got plenty of weapons to get the job done without him.

The Cowboys focus should be re-establishing the run game and stopping the opposition's. Not having 3 1K yard WR's and a losing record. That's one of those infamous Booger's moral victories.

Agree. Last year the offense was 57.41% offense and 38.63% run.
Pass contributed 69.94% of the total yards while run produced 30.06%.

BigMac is not a run first guy. Never has been. Claims he didn't have a back.
He has one now. See if it changes.

Baltimore, Tennessee, and New England were the only teams that ran more than they passed.

817Gill

Reaction score
so we can get a third for having his services in 2021
or we trade his services for 21 to get a 1st or 2nd.
my take is that it appears to me that recently the wr drafts have been phenominal and the trade value might/could be coming down.

Do we honestly feel like we're going to the tournament this year if so you keep him for 21
You will absolutely not get a 1st for Michael Gallup, that is absurd. A two would be unlikely, it would have to be a desperate team who feels like they are a piece away from a SB; but even then they’d have to pay him after the season and those type of teams typically aren’t flooded with cap space.

He’s probably worth a 3 on the open market, especially with the surplus of WR talent in the league. Unless someone gets desperate and offers a two, (AFTER we see if we can truly contend wouldn’t want to trade him until I’ve seen we can’t win it all), then I don’t trade him.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
When you are paying a QB 40 million he shouldnt need 3 stud receivers. If Gallup would take 13M I trade Cooper. If he wants more I go with Cooper.

I trade Cooper tomorrow if anyone would take his contract. I like Coop but I like Gallup more., while he is not the route runner that Cooper is, he is a better contested ball catcher than Cooper is and dude just makes plays. I would pay him 14-15mil a year and call it a day and get a draft pick for coop and out from his 20 mil a year contract.

John813

Reaction score
Agree. Last year the offense was 57.41% offense and 38.63% run.
Pass contributed 69.94% of the total yards while run produced 30.06%.

BigMac is not a run first guy. Never has been. Claims he didn't have a back.
He has one now. See if it changes.

Baltimore, Tennessee, and New England were the only teams that ran more than they passed.

Last year we had a horrible defense and early game turnovers that put us in holes when the team was somewhat healthy.

After Dak went down and the offense became worse with the same defense we couldn't really run the ball due to no threat from pass, and the offensive line was a shell of itself(along with our back)

With Kellen Moore and MM I doubt this team will ever be a run first team.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Last year we had a horrible defense and early game turnovers that put us in holes when the team was somewhat healthy.

After Dak went down and the offense became worse with the same defense we couldn't really run the ball due to no threat from pass, and the offensive line was a shell of itself(along with our back)

With Kellen Moore and MM I doubt this team will ever be a run first team.

Okay, rather than use the total number of plays, we'll eliminate all plays that didn't involve a pass or a run. Only using running or passing plays the last time were were 50/50 pass/run was in 2017....

2020 59.77% pass 40.22% run in 1042 plays
2019 57.07% pass 42.93% run in 1069 plays
2018 54.55% pass 45.45% run in 966 plays.
2017 50.66% pass 49.69% run in 973 plays.

As you can see the passing has gone up each year, while running has gone down.

We were second in pass attempts to Pittsburgh but tenth in 2020 in pass/run breakdown percentage. The 9th team was Washington, similar percentages but about 960 total yard less.
The team below us Philly (11th place) similar percentages and about 600 yards less.

The Cowboys had the least number of run yards (1788) they have had since Zeke arrived. Still more than Washington, but 239 short of Philly.

There may some truth to what you say, but I agree with you on BigMac and Moore: A tiger doesn't change its stripes. It has become a passing league.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I trade Cooper tomorrow if anyone would take his contract. I like Coop but I like Gallup more., while he is not the route runner that Cooper is, he is a better contested ball catcher than Cooper is and dude just makes plays. I would pay him 14-15mil a year and call it a day and get a draft pick for coop and out from his 20 mil a year contract.

I agree. I would take Cooper at 13 million. Problem is he will probably be asking for 18 million and I would keep Coop for that.

Creeper

Reaction score
$16 million would make him the 15th highest paid WR based on annual salary. I don't think that will be enough to earn Dallas a 3rd round pick. But there are other factors like playing time, post-season awards, etc. that could boost his value. The NFL hides the formula so they can screw Dallas out of better comp picks every year. (Just kidding. No I'm not!)

Kingofholland

Reaction score
He will never get $16M/year but as mentioned it involves other variables such as any free agent signings Dallas makes to offset their losses.

Unless he has a down year he can expect atleast Corey Davis money at 12.5 million a year. I think it ends up in the 13.5 to 14 million a year range.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Uhh why can't we afford to keep Gallup again? It ain't like he's gonna command $30M/yr.
we can only resource so many 15M+
You will absolutely not get a 1st for Michael Gallup, that is absurd. A two would be unlikely, it would have to be a desperate team who feels like they are a piece away from a SB; but even then they’d have to pay him after the season and those type of teams typically aren’t flooded with cap space.I think your under valuing Gallup

He’s probably worth a 3 on the open market, especially with the surplus of WR talent in the league. Unless someone gets desperate and offers a two, (AFTER we see if we can truly contend wouldn’t want to trade him until I’ve seen we can’t win it all), then I don’t trade him.

Tussinman

Reaction score
So we're not trying to win a Superbowl? I don't understand the logic of trading away your number two starting outside receiver because he's entering his last year of his contract, how does taking away a weapon help the offense??
Not only if Gallup resigns his cap hit will be low for the 1st season so an Amari/Gallup/Lamb combo for 2022 wouldn't actually be a huge deal.

If things got dicey cap wise the following year (2023) you could drop Amari and still have a Lamb/Gallup combo for another 2 seasons

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Don't disagree. Kind of insane. $24 million in his back pocket and will want more. I should have taken pee wee football a bit more serious.

Its really crazy how much these guys get.