If Garrett is fired Romo will be offered the HC job before Peyton

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah, it's about the time with the kids. Romo's come out already and said as much---that he'd like to coach at some point because he's so competitive, but not while the kids are so young. It's what I'd do, too. Stay around the game and then step back in after a ten year broadcasting career or so. You know Jerry's already told him the Cowboys would be into it down the road.

And has said as much about being able to spend time with his kids. That is his feeling today but he has also as far as I know has not been offered a job by any team as an OC. I think often it is easy to turn down a deal when there is no deal but should someone come knocking on the door with an opportunity to coach then it becomes real. I would respect whatever choice Tony makes.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
Has a franchise QB that earned over 100 million in his career EVER become even a coordinator? let alone a head coach?
No
And no for very good reason.
Coaching is a massive grind

You'd have to do an inflation adjustment here and take into account league income, but Jim Harbaugh is in this conversation

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Legit question here....Why do so many fans think a former player with ZERO coaching experience is capable of stepping in and becoming an NFL head coach?

Being a head coach of an NFL team requires a skill set beyond just being a former player or broadcaster. It requires organizational skills, the ability to to put together a talented coaching staff that works cooperatively towards team goals, philosophies, etc, etc. And...it requires at least some coaching experience.

Tony Romo might someday have what it takes to be a head coach. Now? It’s laughable.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Seems like our fan base never learns. I mean, I honestly hope we get something like that because we would deserve it.

How can anybody want us to, yet again, hire another inexperienced former player to be an OC or a HC? We did that with Garrett. We hired a guy who never ever did anything more then be a QB Coach and even that is a stretch. He was really an assistant in that regard. We hired him and made him our OC with no experience at all. We compounded that by making him the HC shortly after. Garrett was not and is not stupid. Just the opposite, in fact. He was inexperienced and it shows even today IMO. But yes, we should go ahead and do exactly the same thing we did with Jason Garrett.

:laugh:

Big_D

Reaction score
Seems like our fan base never learns. I mean, I honestly hope we get something like that because we would deserve it.

How can anybody want us to, yet again, hire another inexperienced former player to be an OC or a HC? We did that with Garrett. We hired a guy who never ever did anything more then be a QB Coach and even that is a stretch. He was really an assistant in that regard. We hired him and made him our OC with no experience at all. We compounded that by making him the HC shortly after. Garrett was not and is not stupid. Just the opposite, in fact. He was inexperienced and it shows even today IMO. But yes, we should go ahead and do exactly the same thing we did with Jason Garrett.

:laugh:

All true, but a move like that has Jerry's name all over it. CBS offers him 10 mil, then Jerry steals him for 15. lol The same thing just happened with Kellen Moore, like there's no learning curve for Cowboy coaches?

Last edited:

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Kellen Moore is going to be the next head coach of your Dallas Cowboys.

Triple platinum guarantee.

Cowboys_22

Reaction score
I would rather have Romo as our next DC...he knows what the other team is going to run...:cool:

cml750

Reaction score
There is little doubt Romo could do at least as well as the current idiot on the sidelines.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Legit question here....Why do so many fans think a former player with ZERO coaching experience is capable of stepping in and becoming an NFL head coach?

Being a head coach of an NFL team requires a skill set beyond just being a former player or broadcaster. It requires organizational skills, the ability to to put together a talented coaching staff that works cooperatively towards team goals, philosophies, etc, etc. And...it requires at least some coaching experience.

Tony Romo might someday have what it takes to be a head coach. Now? It’s laughable.
Another legit question. Why do some fans believe Romo wants to coach the Cowboys under Jerry Jones (or the Jones family)?

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Forget Sean Peyton, if Garrett is fired Romo will be offered the HC job before Peyton, you can bank on that. He was offered the OC job but he decided to fulfill his CBS job. Or maybe he is just waiting to see what happens with Garrett.
LOL. That ship has sailed. Romo's going to make at least $8 Million with CBS's big raise. Working once a week 3 hours, for 16 weeks equals a cool $8 Million dollars.

THERE ARE 168 hours in a week. And if not for exhaustion, many NFL head coaches would use them all. Ask yourself this, would you work all those hours compared to only 3 hours per week? Of course not. And neither would Romo. And that my friend, you can bank on that. :D

Last edited:

BillyBates

Reaction score
If Garrett gets fired we are looking at the OC Kellen Moore. red hair removed we have another poor QB with no experience at the future helm. sounds like a perfect Jerry HC choice to me.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Forget Sean Peyton, if Garrett is fired Romo will be offered the HC job before Peyton, you can bank on that. He was offered the OC job but he decided to fulfill his CBS job. Or maybe he is just waiting to see what happens with Garrett.

Romo will be getting paid 10M+ on his next contract.

He works a few hours per week at CBS.

He'll be a commentator for 20 years without having to worry about getting fired.

Hardline

Reaction score
Zero chance this ever happens .
It's so out of the realm of possibility it's not even discussion worthy.

cowboyfan4lyfe

Reaction score
Romo is the top announcer in the game and he will give that up and all the spare time he want's to golf with Emmit Smith and other celebrity's to coach?????:laugh::lmao::lmao2::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

plymkr

Reaction score
I would love Romo getting the job. I'd be all for that in a heartbeat.

RoboQB

Reaction score
On a board full of ridiculous theories, this is the most ridiculous of them all.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
You'd have to do an inflation adjustment here and take into account league income, but Jim Harbaugh is in this conversation

Harbaugh is a clown. Fortunately, he wouldn't last a week working under the Joneses.