If I am GM, I fire McCarthy

rambo2

Reaction score
First of all, you don't KNOW that....you're guessing.

And that's what this site IS.....a fan site where we speculate and share OPINIONS.

It's not 'post only what you know for sure by being inside the team facility' type of situation.

If you don't like what I have to say, there are several options for you to explore.

I suggest against this particular one.
Am I wrong?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can agree there.

Thing is, as I've said before....MM may not be a problem himself, but is he part of the solution?

It's fairly clear the OC is in over his head. Why watch Quinn walk out the door just to keep McCarthy?

What's his role really? Unless MANY are dead wrong on Moore we would have needed to replace each coordinator he hired in each of the first two years.
If MM is let go, we can do better than Quinn. My choice would be Flores.....

Havic

Reaction score
MM gets 1 more year, but I wouldnt be opposed to letting him go now for Flores. Dude is a motivator and got the best out of his players in Miami, even with the injuries.

75boyz

Reaction score
First of all, you don't KNOW that....you're guessing.

And that's what this site IS.....a fan site where we speculate and share OPINIONS.

It's not 'post only what you know for sure by being inside the team facility' type of situation.

If you don't like what I have to say, there are several options for you to explore.

I suggest against this particular one.

Like times infinity.

You obviously didn't attend the Cowboys zone training course on Some posters opinions are always right and yours are wrong course.

I unfortunately missed that training as well.

Man, I sure wish my opinion was always right, I'm actually jealous.

You? lol

Don't sweat it bro.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sometimes it not the coaches fault.....we've had these issues for years, we also have some players that are outmanned and commit penalties because they can't keep up....firing the HC without knowing the whole story is lazy and stupid.
If I am the GM, don't you think I know the whole story?

Sorry, failure to achieve the goal means someone has to go. In the business I was in for 25 years, radio management, you don't reach your goals, that's usually some salespeople's fault but the GM gets the ax with the assumption he had ample authority to hire, train and supervise those people.

Did McCarthy have the authority to address this on-going penalty problem that pinnacled in the playoffs? It's not like he was unaware of it. And that is a rhetorical question because none of us really knows the extent of his authority. We know Phillips had limited authority. Do we think the owner has changed his "jocks to socks"? If he was involved in this, I do not see how he could fire his HC.

phildadon86

Reaction score
You have no idea about McCarthy. You don't know him and have never been inside the Cowboy headquarters.
McCarthy coming out after a heartbreaking loss that the players themselves lose because of lack of discipline to say “we are going to fix that in the off-season” is all anyone needs to know. The guy doesn’t care about winning or losing. He’s here to get paid.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You have no idea about McCarthy. You don't know him and have never been inside the Cowboy headquarters.
If that is a requirement to post here, we'd all better leave.

Much of what we do is assumption and speculation and subject to error and influence.

I make a basic assumption. This team led the NFL in penalties at home and on the road and saved their worst penalty game for the most important one. And the present HC has the defense of "that will be Job 1 this off season".

Another assumption I make. His team was better off after he left and went to 2 NFCCG's and are on the verge of a 3rd in a row. That to me is "lighting up a room upon leaving it".

fivetwos

Reaction score
Sure. Agreed.

Thats another topic.

Thing I think people are missing is that McCarthy doesn't need to be the blame for this loss as a reason to move on from him.

It would definitely appear that way. I'm just trying to figure where we go from here, and if we are being honest with each other.....

Quinn leaves, MM and Moore stay, they struggle with Quinns loss and a first place schedule next year, and we are back to the beginning.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hell no on Quinn. His side of the ball had more than their share of game wrecking mistakes.

I clean house and let the next HC hire his own staff and he sinks or swims with them but I would never force coaches on the HC like Booger did to Campo. Or hire Garrett and then figure out a title.

I am a simple man when it comes to jobs. Everyone is responsible for their own and everyone that reports to them. They should get to pick those people that report to them.

I think McC hired Moore to make Booger happy and had nothing to do with bringing Quinn in. McC is too twitchy to have a possible successor on his staff. Just look how he is defending himself now. "It would be a mistake to fire me because I know things, secret things, about what went on in that 12 hour interview. All I was told was to bring a change of clothes, preferably something frilly and not too clingy".

rambo2

Reaction score

Much of what we do is assumption and speculation and subject to error and influence.

I make a basic assumption. This team led the NFL in penalties at home and on the road and saved their worst penalty game for the most important one. And the present HC has the defense of "that will be Job 1 this off season".

Another assumption I make. His team was better off after he left and went to 2 NFCCG's and are on the verge of a 3rd in a row. That to me is "lighting up a room upon leaving it".
I know. Just pointing out that the poster was stating something as fact when he doesn't know.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know. Just pointing out that the poster was stating something as fact when he doesn't know.
I think we all do that to an extent. If A is fact to me, then B and C will be as well. But I get called out a lot on A, as you can see form this thread.

Last edited:

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I am the GM, don't you think I know the whole story?

Sorry, failure to achieve the goal means someone has to go. In the business I was in for 25 years, radio management, you don't reach your goals, that's usually some salespeople's fault but the GM gets the ax with the assumption he had ample authority to hire, train and supervise those people.

Did McCarthy have the authority to address this on-going penalty problem that pinnacled in the playoffs? It's not like he was unaware of it. And that is a rhetorical question because none of us really knows the extent of his authority. We know Phillips had limited authority. Do we think the owner has changed his "jocks to socks"? If he was involved in this, I do not see how he could fire his HC.
Nah.....IF is the key word....you have NO idea, do you? Just throwing stones and stirring it up......

75boyz

Reaction score

Opinion Regulators Rule!

He drew First Blood, Cut me Mick!

Lol

willia451

Reaction score
Daily reminder the Cowboys kept Jaylon Smith on the roster for 5 years and gave him a mega-millions contract. Which they eventually had to eat.

After Smith was finally cut because he had sucked so bad for years, you had players like LVE running to his defense saying the fans just don't understand.

No? We don't understand? Ok. JS lasted only two games with the Green Bay Packers before being unceremoniously tossed off the bus. Then the Giants picked him up for their practice squad and used him as a COVID replacement.

Somebody seems to understand just fine.

But the whole situation sums up why the Cowboys can never get to an NFCCG and most likely never will. Bad decisions. Bad contracts. And a paternal culture boarding on obsessive compulsion.

It infects everybody connected to the franchise in every way. Especially the players.

So you say. What now?

Indeed.

75boyz

Reaction score
Daily reminder the Cowboys kept Jaylon Smith on the roster for 5 years and gave him a mega-millions contract. Which they eventually had to eat.

After Smith was finally cut because he had sucked so bad for years, you had players like LVE running to his defense saying the fans just don't understand.

No? We don't understand? Ok. JS lasted only two games with the Green Bay Packers before being unceremoniously tossed off the bus. Then the Giants picked him up for their practice squad and used him as a COVID replacement.

Somebody seems to understand just fine.

But the whole situation sums up why the Cowboys can never get to an NFCCG and most likely never will. Bad decisions. Bad contracts. And a paternal culture boarding on obsessive compulsion.

It infects everybody connected to the franchise in every way. Especially the players.

So you say. What now?

Indeed.

I love the comprehensive summary posts that take a discussion past the surface level and then ties it all together.

Yours is another I agree with and enjoyed reading.
Great job.

75boyz

Reaction score
Hell no on Quinn. His side of the ball had more than their share of game wrecking mistakes.

I clean house and let the next HC hire his own staff and he sinks or swims with them but I would never force coaches on the HC like Booger did to Campo. Or hire Garrett and then figure out a title.

I am a simple man when it comes to jobs. Everyone is responsible for their own and everyone that reports to them. They should get to pick those people that report to them.

I think McC hired Moore to make Booger happy and had nothing to do with bringing Quinn in. McC is too twitchy to have a possible successor on his staff. Just look how he is defending himself now. "It would be a mistake to fire me because I know things, secret things, about what went on in that 12 hour interview. All I was told was to bring a change of clothes, preferably something frilly and not too clingy".

Freakin, solid gold here Coach...
Laughing.
Good stuff.

Batman1980

Reaction score
I started another thread about the reason this season was as it was and that is justification for firing the HC. He has the nerve to say they're going to address the penalties this off season when it was obvious he didn't do it during this season, they saved their worst for the playoff game.

Then I assemble this team and tell them they cost their HC his job and I am going to tell his successor exactly that. His own team can be his worst enemy through laziness and stupidity.

Then I tell them on my weekly radio show (this is assuming I have a weekly radio show but how else are y'all going to know what I am up to and hate on me?) that perps will be outed for mistakes of the mental variety so you'd better hope your mistake doesn't hurt the team.

I won't go into all I would do as GM, especially the free tickets, concessions and merch to my fellow Zoneheads or I will get accused of pandering, but I would stress on these players they are my well-paid employees, they are not family or friends so I have no problem with acting as the employer.

This penalty problem isn't new but it has never been addressed in a head first direction either. A team that beats itself, needs new leadership beginning at the top. I do not know of another way to fix that, it's basics and fundamentals.

Big Mike needs to go but I add the caveat his replacement needs to be better. Is Lincoln Riley a legitimate option? Imagine nabbing the next college HC who will rise to success and prominence in the NFL before anyone else can.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Just reading the headline you get my vote Couchcoach! Get er done