If I am GM, I fire McCarthy

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Someone will come for the money. They always do, coaches are people too.

It has never been about anyone we wanted but who can make the owner comfortable.
Truth.

There’s always only one interview question in Jerry’s mind when it comes to the 500 people he thinks can coach his team: “Who is going to make me feel the most comfortable playing with my toy and won’t get too much credit if we win?”

That’s the interview question in his head for every potential head coach he hires. There’s no salary cap on coaching yet I haven’t seen JJ throw a ton of cash out to bring in THE BEST HC MONEY COULD BUY. Why? Because that’s not a priority to him.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Truth.

There’s always only one interview question in Jerry’s mind when it comes to the 500 people he thinks can coach his team: “Who is going to make me feel the most comfortable playing with my toy and won’t get too much credit if we win?”

That’s the interview question in his head for every potential head coach he hires. There’s no salary cap on coaching yet I haven’t seen JJ throw a ton of cash out to bring in THE BEST HC MONEY COULD BUY. Why? Because that’s not a priority to him.

But no Bob, I am hearing it here all over Jerry would change for Payton...not Payton's more established mentor Bill, but for Payton Jerry would change!!!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The thing is if Payton comes here I think it would actually look really bad on Jerry if it didnt change things (again I'm not saying thats on MM)..for some reason Payton is this white whale and if that doesn't work, the few people left in this world that dont think Jerry is the problem would have no other option but to admit it finally....Jerry would be on an island at that point. But lets not act like Jerry didnt get around to jacking with Bill Parcells finally and if he will do that why would Payton be any diferent to him.
While it initially begun with Jethro trying to prove himself as a football guy it’s actually evolved over the years. Remember why he and Jimmy abruptly parted ways was because Jethro resented not receiving the credit he felt was due while not being the face of his franchise.

As time went by Jethro took extraordinary measures and actions setting in motion his revolutionary actions enhancing revenue with the Fox Network deal and suing the league for stadium rights which set him up to be successful financially without depending on the success of the field.

This has enabled him to pursue and continue his passion of being a celebrity football guy without the success on the field. Which in turn has not only made him the face of the franchise but the one name everyone can associate with the NFL.

It’s no longer just about trying to prove he can win or build a championship team without Jimmy which is how it started out. It’s evolved into being about being able to retain his stature not only as face of Cowboys football but the NFL without the success on the field.

The success off the field has supported his stature and enabled him to continue his ways without being held directly accountable for the results on the field. His immediate responses were we had enough talent because he knows his responsibilities are directly tied to the players assembled.

All of his actions now revolve around promoting and selling the hype to the fans that he’s done his part in assembling enough talent to contend. And is looking to hold his coaching as scapegoats. He won’t admit that the culture he’s created is impacting results.

In the end it doesn’t really matter anymore cause unless we impact the revenue he’s not going anywhere or changing his role. It’s the same message I’ve had for almost 15 years on these forums. Our only hope ultimately rest in the talent we have. That they are enough to overcome this dysfunctional ownership and the culture they’ve created that’s diminished the type of discipline, direction and leadership that’s needed with a HC without the interference and meddling that occurs here.

Jethro face and actions after these brutal endings to seasons says it all as he realizes what’s causing it and why it’s so painful for him but his own egotistical self indulgence won’t allow him to deter his ways. Afterall he’s not interested in owning a team if it’s not his baby.

Some of us knew it must be a bad compulsion to have departed ways with a HC who’d just won you back to back Super Bowls but after almost 30 years it runs much deeper than just proving you can win. It’s about just proving you can exist as a celebrity football guy. And with the revolutionary revenue streams he helped create including the stadium , there’s no stopping him. It just must run it’s course for better or worse as he continues living his dream with our beloved franchise all at our expense.

Last edited:

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry is staring at the time clock, his time clock.
he doesn't have time to let MM destroy the progress we've made drafting the past few years. I believe Payton is around the corner, and more importantly Jerry will let him coach.

cowboyed

Reaction score
I am all for Jerry giving up his GM position but to blame him for the ineffective or lack of practices to minimize penalties is unreasonable. That is what you have a head coach and supporting staff on offense for. I bet Jerry and Stephen have not been oblivious to the persistent rash of penalties, and discussed it with McCarthy at times but didn't overtly interfere. That would be MEDDLING and fans would be in an uproar. But since we were one and done in the playoffs now certain fans are whining if only the GM got involved in the head coaching responsibilities. Pure hypocrisy.

There are additional key reasons why this team generates too many penalties. With a few exceptions our drafting may not be as fantastic as it is cracked up to me. That falls on McClay and scouting company, Stephen Jones and Jerry. When players are frequently penalized it is often because they are overwhelmed by superior opposing players, play-calling or schemes in games.

Our offensive line is a shadow of the 2016 one. RG Zack Martin can't compensate for all the players on that line. How long can he keep his high level of play considering he has played 8 seasons. C Biadasz is subpar, so is LG Connor Williams or LG Connor McGovern. LT Tyron Smith is no longer dominant and susceptible to injury along with RT La'el Collins. We can grind along in regular season games against teams that have glaring flaws or weaknesses as well, but we certainly are not post-season caliber.

As much as our defense has improved we still give up too many big plays. On the defensive line and linebacker units, we need more run stuffing capability and in the secondary more quality player depth in pass coverage. We need an additional safety and cornerback that not only can cover physical or great route running receivers and that doesn't frequently bust coverage.

Last edited:

rags

Reaction score
Jerry is staring at the time clock, his time clock.
he doesn't have time to let MM destroy the progress we've made drafting the past few years. I believe Payton is around the corner, and more importantly Jerry will let him coach.

Didn't we think the same thing about Jimmy and Parcells? JJ would stay out of the way. What wound up happening?

Blackrain

Reaction score
JJ would never hire Payton. JJ wants a yes man.
At One time he did but he can see his time is running out and may be ready to do a reevaluation of the kind of man he wants as coach