If I was GM, what I'd do with Parsons

Chuck 54

Reaction score
If I was running the Dallas Cowboys, I’d suggest my DC use Parsons like we use a super star RB, use him, run his legs off. Get everything you can out of him this season. He will continue to impact QBs. I would even make attempts to sign him throughout the season to a reasonable market contract, not top of the market as he is not a complete DE, but I’d try to sign him to a respectable contract with the allure of getting his money early.

If he insists on resetting the market, being the top non-QB regarding his salary, doesn’t sign, I’m then also looking at his overall impact on wins. Pressures, sacks, impact on run defense. I want to see if he starts getting all the holding calls this season, or are players allowed to continue to use the arm bar around his chest and neck, etc.

If he continues to get holding calls only when someone grabs his jersey; if he refuses to sign a contract that makes him top 3-4 at DE while getting it 2-3 years earlier than absolutely necessary; if he remains a liability vs the run; if he starts to play out his words that sound like he will want to do everything his way instead of the coach’s way, compromising the defensive scheme by not sacrificing to make the defensive scheme work……then I trade him right away. I don’t franchise him unless we are very close to agreeing on a contract. We have his rights thanks to picking up his 5th year option, so I give him permission to seek a trade, and I make it known to every team in the AFC that he’s available.

Jipper

Reaction score
Honestly not bad to start thinking about use and trade mentality on draft picks....as good as the cowboys have been on drafting if they could routinely draft guys, use for 3 years (maybe 4) then trade for more draft value then they got, then repeat...at some point they would find themselves with a ton of picks and not a whole lot of huge contracts on the book.

Yes yes I get it, don't trade away superstars blah blah...everyone has a price and with the salaries going where they are, it's really not a bad idea IF we continue to draft well

CWR

Reaction score
We're already getting everything we can out of him. We've all seen him run out of gas, and he's admitted to it as well. I don't think we can utilize him any heavier.

He's only taking top end money, forget reasonable.

Either pay him or flip him for a kings ransom. Just don't let him walk.

CWR

Reaction score
If I was running the Dallas Cowboys, I’d suggest my DC use Parsons like we use a super star RB, use him, run his legs off. Get everything you can out of him this season. He will continue to impact QBs. I would even make attempts to sign him throughout the season to a reasonable market contract, not top of the market as he is not a complete DE, but I’d try to sign him to a respectable contract with the allure of getting his money early.

If he insists on resetting the market, being the top non-QB regarding his salary, doesn’t sign, I’m then also looking at his overall impact on wins. Pressures, sacks, impact on run defense. I want to see if he starts getting all the holding calls this season, or are players allowed to continue to use the arm bar around his chest and neck, etc.

If he continues to get holding calls only when someone grabs his jersey; if he refuses to sign a contract that makes him top 3-4 at DE while getting it 2-3 years earlier than absolutely necessary; if he remains a liability vs the run; if he starts to play out his words that sound like he will want to do everything his way instead of the coach’s way, compromising the defensive scheme by not sacrificing to make the defensive scheme work……then I trade him right away. I don’t franchise him unless we are very close to agreeing on a contract. We have his rights thanks to picking up his 5th year option, so I give him permission to seek a trade, and I make it known to every team in the AFC that he’s available.
He's held a lot for sure. Some are legit holds because he's doubled or did a rip move. A lot of them don't fit the criteria for a legal hold though. It's frustrating to watch and the subjectivity of the calls non calls kills me.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Honestly not bad to start thinking about use and trade mentality on draft picks....as good as the cowboys have been on drafting if they could routinely draft guys, use for 3 years (maybe 4) then trade for more draft value then they got, then repeat...at some point they would find themselves with a ton of picks and not a whole lot of huge contracts on the book.

Yes yes I get it, don't trade away superstars blah blah...everyone has a price and with the salaries going where they are, it's really not a bad idea IF we continue to draft well
THIS!

We know that our current model does not inject enough talent into the roster for deep post season runs.

Since the FO does not want to utilize FA to add more talent, then they've got to adjust and acquire more draft picks.

They have to be okay with letting go of players like Parsons, Diggs, and maybe even Lamb (though I'm personally against that).

Chuck 54

Reaction score
How much are you trading him for?
The best I can get. No one will give two first round picks anymore. That doesn’t even happen for QBs. Maybe a 1 & 3. Bottom line is that you have to take what you can get while you still own his rights. Notice I’m not wanting to trade him now nor just because of his stupid comments. If this isn’t his best year ever, meaning he doesn’t continue to climb and prosper and make our defense better and if he insists on being the top non QB in pay, I’m the trading him. I’m not using him in one unhappy 5th year option just to get a compensatory pick. If the league doesn’t adjust this year, but continues to let teams control him with the non holding calls, I’m definitely not paying him…..trade.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
I would trade him for draft picks. Pretty sure the FO willingly overpays him, setting the team up for continued failure.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Considering the fact that we don’t have a franchise qb, it only makes sense to package parsons + picks to help find a franchise qb
This is the only scenario where trading Micah makes sense.

Despite his warts. He is still legitimately a top 3 defender in the entire league. They don’t grow on trees people.

So the only way you move on from him is if you’re getting super high picks that you’re using to draft an elite QB prospect.

Thats it.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
With where the cowboys are at right now I think they need more talent through out the 11 on the field as opposed to 1 guy. I would be looking to trade him for several first round picks while also talk extending him. As good as he is he isn't putting this defense over the top by himself but he could give them the ammunition to draft 3 really good to great starters that can.

fivetwos

Reaction score
There is absolutely NO WAY Jerry Jones is trading a player as marketable and high profile as Micah Parsons. Thinking about it or discussing it is a waste of time.

They will indeed waste his HOF career and give him a rep of disappearing in playoff games by never properly addressing the DT position. There isn’t much an elite edge rusher can do when the opponent is running the ball up the gut with ease and has a lead.

We have seen the movie many times. Unless they find a total bargain, they just leave gaping holes that were obvious all along. They aren’t good at this.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
We're already getting everything we can out of him. We've all seen him run out of gas, and he's admitted to it as well. I don't think we can utilize him any heavier.

He's only taking top end money, forget reasonable.

Either pay him or flip him for a kings ransom. Just don't let him walk.
And he only wants to play until he's 30

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Trade him.
Trade him now.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The thread is awesome. Very few are talking about what he said.

To me he said that he wanted to make money, take care of his body, and have a say in what happened to him.

Sounds like a monster. :eek:

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
When deciding how much you hate current contracts, please consider the SALARY CAP FLOOR.

They HAVE to spend the money. A team is not permitted to go cheap. While there certainly is some wiggle room here, in the end; they HAVE to spend the money on players. For example, they COULD spend 80% of the cap in 2024, but then they would have to spend some combination of 90+ percentages in 2025 and 2026 in order to reach the 90% total for the three year period.

Oh, and "Dead Money" does NOT count. This is "Cash Spending".

NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement

Article 12
Revenue Accounting and Calculation of the Salary Cap​

Section 9
Minimum Team Cash Spending​

(a)
For the four-League Year period covering the 2017–2020 League Years, there shall be a guaranteed Minimum Team Cash Spending of 89% of the Salary Caps for such period.
(b)
For each of the following multi-League-Year periods 2021–2023 (three League Years), 2024–2026 (three League Years), and 2027–2030 (four League Years), there shall be a guaranteed Minimum Team Cash Spending of 90% of the Salary Caps for such periods.
(c)
Any shortfall in the Minimum Team Cash Spending at the end of a League Year in which it is applicable (i.e., the 2020, 2023, 2026, or 2030 League Years) shall be paid, on or before the next September 15, by the Team having such shortfall, directly to the players who were on such a Team’s roster at any time during the applicable seasons, pursuant to the reasonable allocation instructions of the NFLPA.
(d)
Nothing contained herein shall preclude a Team from having Cash Spending in excess of the Minimum Team Cash Spending, provided that the Team complies with the accounting rules of the Salary Cap set forth in Article 13.
(e)
If the NFL agrees, or a final judgment or award is entered by the System Arbitrator, that a Team has failed by the end of an applicable League Year to make the payments required to satisfy a Team’s obligations to pay the Minimum Team Cash Spending required by this Agreement, then, in the event the Team fails promptly to comply with such agreement, judgment or award, the NFL shall make such payment on behalf of that Team (such funds to be paid as salary directly to the players on such Team at the direction of and pursuant to the reasonable allocations of the NFLPA).