If I was GM, what I'd do with Parsons

gtb1943

Reaction score
He's held a lot for sure. Some are legit holds because he's doubled or did a rip move. A lot of them don't fit the criteria for a legal hold though. It's frustrating to watch and the subjectivity of the calls non calls kills me.
The fact that the NFL allows holding if a player is being double teamed is so absolutely idiotic. A hold should be a hold no matter what the circumstance

Chasing6

Reaction score
If I was running the Dallas Cowboys, I’d suggest my DC use Parsons like we use a super star RB, use him, run his legs off. Get everything you can out of him this season. He will continue to impact QBs. I would even make attempts to sign him throughout the season to a reasonable market contract, not top of the market as he is not a complete DE, but I’d try to sign him to a respectable contract with the allure of getting his money early.

If he insists on resetting the market, being the top non-QB regarding his salary, doesn’t sign, I’m then also looking at his overall impact on wins. Pressures, sacks, impact on run defense. I want to see if he starts getting all the holding calls this season, or are players allowed to continue to use the arm bar around his chest and neck, etc.

If he continues to get holding calls only when someone grabs his jersey; if he refuses to sign a contract that makes him top 3-4 at DE while getting it 2-3 years earlier than absolutely necessary; if he remains a liability vs the run; if he starts to play out his words that sound like he will want to do everything his way instead of the coach’s way, compromising the defensive scheme by not sacrificing to make the defensive scheme work……then I trade him right away. I don’t franchise him unless we are very close to agreeing on a contract. We have his rights thanks to picking up his 5th year option, so I give him permission to seek a trade, and I make it known to every team in the AFC that he’s available.
Look how he is acting and he has not been paid yet. He thinks way to highly off himself.

He is a great individual talent, however we need to build a team to make a deep run in the playoffs.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Look how he is acting and he has not been paid yet. He thinks way to highly off himself.

He is a great individual talent, however we need to build a team to make a deep run in the playoffs.
Micah is a product of his times. It is what is expected by most of his generation. All the antics; trash talking; showing off; etc. ME ME ME ME
so one cannot really blame him for doing what he thinks is expected of him
Until he makes BIG plays in the playoffs, I will not think he is the best in the NFL.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
The Cowboys can keep him with the franchise tag, and that will pay him amongst the top of linebackers, or DE however they classify him. I'm guessing that's what will happen. Or they could franchise tag him, and trade him for a couple 1's. That's how it will play out if they can't come to a agreement. I know Mr. Parsons wants to be the highest paid non-quarterback. I don't know the numbers, but I don't know if that's realistic.

Chasing6

Reaction score
One thing that always amazes is me how an organization who built a team by trading their star player and had massive success in the 90s is terrified at the thought of trading a star player ever since.
It makes no sense at all.

ATXSRT

Reaction score
The best I can get. No one will give two first round picks anymore. That doesn’t even happen for QBs. Maybe a 1 & 3. Bottom line is that you have to take what you can get while you still own his rights. Notice I’m not wanting to trade him now nor just because of his stupid comments. If this isn’t his best year ever, meaning he doesn’t continue to climb and prosper and make our defense better and if he insists on being the top non QB in pay, I’m the trading him. I’m not using him in one unhappy 5th year option just to get a compensatory pick. If the league doesn’t adjust this year, but continues to let teams control him with the non holding calls, I’m definitely not paying him…..trade.
Umm what, Jamal Adams got 2 1sts. That's for an in the box safety that had injury issues. Micah would get two 1sts minimum + other 2nd/3rd and possibly a player or 2. There hasn't been a player like Micah in decades. Hell even Khalil Mack got two 1sts.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Umm what, Jamal Adams got 2 1sts. That's for an in the box safety that had injury issues. Micah would get two 1sts minimum + other 2nd/3rd and possibly a player or 2. There hasn't been a player like Micah in decades. Hell even Khalil Mack got two 1sts.
Not GM Jethro. He would wait until the end of FA, when most teams have already used up their cap space, reducing the amount of interest from NFL teams.

He would also wait until he was disgruntled, so every team remaining would know we have no choice but to trade him.

The best time to trade someone is when you don't want to.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
When deciding how much you hate current contracts, please consider the SALARY CAP FLOOR.

They HAVE to spend the money. A team is not permitted to go cheap. While there certainly is some wiggle room here, in the end; they HAVE to spend the money on players. For example, they COULD spend 80% of the cap in 2024, but then they would have to spend some combination of 90+ percentages in 2025 and 2026 in order to reach the 90% total for the three year period.

Oh, and "Dead Money" does NOT count. This is "Cash Spending".

NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement

Article 12

Revenue Accounting and Calculation of the Salary Cap​

Section 9​

Minimum Team Cash Spending​

(a)
For the four-League Year period covering the 2017–2020 League Years, there shall be a guaranteed Minimum Team Cash Spending of 89% of the Salary Caps for such period.
(b)
For each of the following multi-League-Year periods 2021–2023 (three League Years), 2024–2026 (three League Years), and 2027–2030 (four League Years), there shall be a guaranteed Minimum Team Cash Spending of 90% of the Salary Caps for such periods.
(c)
Any shortfall in the Minimum Team Cash Spending at the end of a League Year in which it is applicable (i.e., the 2020, 2023, 2026, or 2030 League Years) shall be paid, on or before the next September 15, by the Team having such shortfall, directly to the players who were on such a Team’s roster at any time during the applicable seasons, pursuant to the reasonable allocation instructions of the NFLPA.
(d)
Nothing contained herein shall preclude a Team from having Cash Spending in excess of the Minimum Team Cash Spending, provided that the Team complies with the accounting rules of the Salary Cap set forth in Article 13.
(e)
If the NFL agrees, or a final judgment or award is entered by the System Arbitrator, that a Team has failed by the end of an applicable League Year to make the payments required to satisfy a Team’s obligations to pay the Minimum Team Cash Spending required by this Agreement, then, in the event the Team fails promptly to comply with such agreement, judgment or award, the NFL shall make such payment on behalf of that Team (such funds to be paid as salary directly to the players on such Team at the direction of and pursuant to the reasonable allocations of the NFLPA).
It's always nice to hear from the self proclaimed CZ resident attorney. :muttley:

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
If I was running the Dallas Cowboys, I’d suggest my DC use Parsons like we use a super star RB, use him, run his legs off. Get everything you can out of him this season. He will continue to impact QBs. I would even make attempts to sign him throughout the season to a reasonable market contract, not top of the market as he is not a complete DE, but I’d try to sign him to a respectable contract with the allure of getting his money early.

If he insists on resetting the market, being the top non-QB regarding his salary, doesn’t sign, I’m then also looking at his overall impact on wins. Pressures, sacks, impact on run defense. I want to see if he starts getting all the holding calls this season, or are players allowed to continue to use the arm bar around his chest and neck, etc.

If he continues to get holding calls only when someone grabs his jersey; if he refuses to sign a contract that makes him top 3-4 at DE while getting it 2-3 years earlier than absolutely necessary; if he remains a liability vs the run; if he starts to play out his words that sound like he will want to do everything his way instead of the coach’s way, compromising the defensive scheme by not sacrificing to make the defensive scheme work……then I trade him right away. I don’t franchise him unless we are very close to agreeing on a contract. We have his rights thanks to picking up his 5th year option, so I give him permission to seek a trade, and I make it known to every team in the AFC that he’s available.
Parsons in 2023 had 3/4 sacks per game.
I want to keep him long term but I worry he will keep running out of gas late in the season.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Parsons in 2023 had 3/4 sacks per game.
I want to keep him long term but I worry he will keep running out of gas late in the season.
Just wait until the injuries start piling up. He has basically admitted he needs the entire off season doing nothing to recover.

The NFL is going to add an 18th game at some point + the playoffs. How is he going to hold up long term?

He is an undersized DE getting double and triple teamed. He most likely would have prolonged his career playing LB.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
I'd trade Parsons for picks, I'm growing tired of his act.....the guy likes to talk but when he doesn't back it up, he doesn't answer questions from reporters and runs out the back door after games and now with his comments about not talking to the defensive coordinator and thinking he likes to do things his way and double talks about he needs his body to rest yet is running every else during the offseason training, this season with sumo wresters yet says it was the hardest thing he's done, how can you get your body rest if you're participating in something thats hard on your body...

Chasing6

Reaction score
I'd trade Parsons for picks, I'm growing tired of his act.....the guy likes to talk but when he doesn't back it up, he doesn't answer questions from reporters and runs out the back door after games and now with his comments about not talking to the defensive coordinator and thinking he likes to do things his way and double talks about he needs his body to rest yet is running every else during the offseason training, this season with sumo wresters yet says it was the hardest thing he's done, how can you get your body rest if you're participating in something thats hard on your body...
Need to trade him before he has a serious injury and losses value.

Flamma

Reaction score
The best I can get. No one will give two first round picks anymore. That doesn’t even happen for QBs. Maybe a 1 & 3. Bottom line is that you have to take what you can get while you still own his rights. Notice I’m not wanting to trade him now nor just because of his stupid comments. If this isn’t his best year ever, meaning he doesn’t continue to climb and prosper and make our defense better and if he insists on being the top non QB in pay, I’m the trading him. I’m not using him in one unhappy 5th year option just to get a compensatory pick. If the league doesn’t adjust this year, but continues to let teams control him with the non holding calls, I’m definitely not paying him…..trade.
Many GMs know what they're doing, but not all of them. A bunch are bookkeepers. One of the 31 will absolutely give two 1st round picks. I'd bet my house on it. If nothing else, Parsons would be good for business.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Many GMs know what they're doing, but not all of them. A bunch are bookkeepers. One of the 31 will absolutely give two 1st round picks. I'd bet my house on it. If nothing else, Parsons would be good for business.
Well not all first round picks are the same as we are all aware. 2 late first round picks I could see. A top 10 pick and a 2nd or 3rd might work as well.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

I'd just use Parsons as teams have always used smaller elite edge rushers - keep him off the LOS on run downs.
He's a liability at DE on a run down, but has the potential to be the best LB of all elite edge rushers ever.

We just always waste players.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
These issues you’ve indicated, aren’t they the kinds of things that would give a team pause when considering acquiring him? These are the kind of issues that make a player less desirable. If you’re not comfortable with him why would any of the other 31 teams be willing to give up significant capital to acquire him?

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
These issues you’ve indicated, aren’t they the kinds of things that would give a team pause when considering acquiring him? These are the kind of issues that make a player less desirable. If you’re not comfortable with him why would any of the other 31 teams be willing to give up significant capital to acquire him?
31 other teams no, but there's four or five other teams that would give you picks for Parsons...