If I was GM, what I'd do with Parsons

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Micah is a product of his times. It is what is expected by most of his generation. All the antics; trash talking; showing off; etc. ME ME ME ME
so one cannot really blame him for doing what he thinks is expected of him
Until he makes BIG plays in the playoffs, I will not think he is the best in the NFL.
Existence is disappointing.

You nailed it, though...he is a product of his environment...and is getting shamed for it lol.

Golf and MMA are all about trying to get the athletes to be more marketable. NBA and NFL have these crazy 2 or 3 day draft events where these prospects all dress up and sell themselves for the owners to make money off of them...

Yet the player gets shamed for it.

Sad.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
31 other teams no, but there's four or five other teams that would give you picks for Parsons...
As QB & WR salaries increase to $50+ and $30+ million respectively, 1st round draft picks are more valuable than in the past. Draft picks in general are more critical to controlling player compensation. The Cowboys themselves are prime examples of this thinking. Recent transactions involving significant draft capital have not been successful for the teams giving up picks. Now, and going forward, I believe teams, all 32 of them, will be more reluctant to give up significant draft picks for players. No team is handing over two firsts for Parsons. Few would even consider one first for him. His athleticism is extraordinary. Nothing else about him will have teams thinking this guy makes us better than the Chiefs.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I'd just use Parsons as teams have always used smaller elite edge rushers - keep him off the LOS on run downs.
He's a liability at DE on a run down, but has the potential to be the best LB of all elite edge rushers ever.

We just always waste players.
Well it does not sound like he wants to play LB.

I would have him moving all over the field. I think him blitzing as a LB and he can go anywhere makes it very difficult for the defense to scheme against him.

Lawrence and Kneeland on 1st down and Micah at LB makes a lot of sense to me.

Sam and Parson at DE on obvious passing downs
I'd just use Parsons as teams have always used smaller elite edge rushers - keep him off the LOS on run downs.
He's a liability at DE on a run down, but has the potential to be the best LB of all elite edge rushers ever.

We just always waste players.
Well it does not sound like he wants to play LB.

I would have him moving all over the field. I think him blitzing as a LB and he can go anywhere makes it very difficult for the defense to scheme against him.

Lawrence and Kneeland on 1st down and Micah at LB makes a lot of sense to me.

Williams and Parson at DE on obvious passing downs with Liufau blitzing up he middle would cause havoc.

plasticman

Reaction score
It would be interesting to compare what the HC would want to do?

If they trade Parsons and the defense begins to decline, who gets fired? The HC? The DC? You can bet it won't be the GM.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It would be interesting to compare what the HC would want to do?

If they trade Parsons and the defense begins to decline, who gets fired? The HC? The DC? You can bet it won't be the GM.
Not sure it really matters. GM Jethro does what he wants.

Hard to argue with when the Owner and the GM are on the same page.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Oh don't worry, his kind of talent grows on trees (LOL)
Well if you trade for two picks and save $35M a year. Pretty sure picking up a $25 to $30M DT in FA and drafting with a top 10 pick should have a pretty good chance of doing that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There’s only 1 thing you do with generational talents . You kiss their butt and pay the man.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I really don’t understand why many of you would figure that there’s any shot of Jerry Jones voluntarily removing that type of talent from his circus act.

It’ll never happen.

And in games when they are down three scores and getting trucked up the gut, Micah will be blamed for disappearing.

There’s one problem with this organization. One. But I’m happy for him that he gets to be a celebrity. He bought his way there. Good for him. Enjoy it Jerry. One day you’ll need to provide answers that money can’t fix.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Pretty sure picking up a $25 to $30M DT in FA
This is Stephen you are talking about.......
Just me but I am convinced we can have $100M in cap space, Stephen will not bring in an outside free agent requiring a huge contract. It appears we will never see another Brandon Carr type of signing.

Loso86

Reaction score
If I was running the Dallas Cowboys, I’d suggest my DC use Parsons like we use a super star RB, use him, run his legs off. Get everything you can out of him this season. He will continue to impact QBs. I would even make attempts to sign him throughout the season to a reasonable market contract, not top of the market as he is not a complete DE, but I’d try to sign him to a respectable contract with the allure of getting his money early.

If he insists on resetting the market, being the top non-QB regarding his salary, doesn’t sign, I’m then also looking at his overall impact on wins. Pressures, sacks, impact on run defense. I want to see if he starts getting all the holding calls this season, or are players allowed to continue to use the arm bar around his chest and neck, etc.

If he continues to get holding calls only when someone grabs his jersey; if he refuses to sign a contract that makes him top 3-4 at DE while getting it 2-3 years earlier than absolutely necessary; if he remains a liability vs the run; if he starts to play out his words that sound like he will want to do everything his way instead of the coach’s way, compromising the defensive scheme by not sacrificing to make the defensive scheme work……then I trade him right away. I don’t franchise him unless we are very close to agreeing on a contract. We have his rights thanks to picking up his 5th year option, so I give him permission to seek a trade, and I make it known to every team in the AFC that he’s available.
Well if your the GM you would never have TOP stars on your team low balling like that.

Chasing6

Reaction score
This is Stephen you are talking about.......
Just me but I am convinced we can have $100M in cap space, Stephen will not bring in an outside free agent requiring a huge contract. It appears we will never see another Brandon Carr type of signing.
Well we won't know until we have the money to do so.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
There’s no question that the pass rush would be weaker without Parsons, but does anyone think the run defense would be worse? Anyone think it would be better?

Chasing6

Reaction score
There’s no question that the pass rush would be weaker without Parsons, but does anyone think the run defense would be worse? Anyone think it would be better?
Well our Pass D would be significantly worse.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
to be fair , what to do with Dak, Parsons, and CD are not easy and would take a lot of thought.
They are all good, but have their warts, and all want market setting deals.

Are they worth keeping?
Can they be traded for value picks, players?

I wont waste time with this, not my job, no pay etc.
plus jerry is crazy so no telling what he will do.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
This would be my strategy with every player. We never trade anyone except for Cooper and we did it in such a stupid way we got almost nothing for him.

kskboys

Reaction score
Parsons = Robert Quinn. Great pass rusher, but sold out for sacks which made the run D very weak as he didn't set the edge. Same thing here. Against GB, I saw where Parsons wasn't even blocked on run plays, just chipped to the outside while the RB ran right through the gaping hole that Parsons left by rushing in like his hair was on fire. I know most don't want to hear it, but right now Parsons is just too much of a great pass rusher/weak run defender.

kskboys

Reaction score
This would be my strategy with every player. We never trade anyone except for Cooper and we did it in such a stupid way we got almost nothing for him.
Because we wait too long.

This goes to the GM. Unfortunately, Jerry is incapable of forseeing pretty much anything. He keeps players until he's out of options w/ them, then dumps them or trades them for squat. To get value in a trade, you must trade while the player has value. Jerry is so terrified that a player will do well w/ another team that he just keeps them.

Can you imagine back in the day if Jerry had accepted the offer of Antonio Cromartie for backup RB Tashard Choice?

Skybox22

Reaction score
The best I can get. No one will give two first round picks anymore. That doesn’t even happen for QBs. Maybe a 1 & 3. Bottom line is that you have to take what you can get while you still own his rights. Notice I’m not wanting to trade him now nor just because of his stupid comments. If this isn’t his best year ever, meaning he doesn’t continue to climb and prosper and make our defense better and if he insists on being the top non QB in pay, I’m the trading him. I’m not using him in one unhappy 5th year option just to get a compensatory pick. If the league doesn’t adjust this year, but continues to let teams control him with the non holding calls, I’m definitely not paying him…..trade.
Plenty of Qb's have been traded for multiple 1's.