if it came to it - steve smith, or roy williams

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Sarge;2175858 said:
When healthy, Steve Smith is a top 3 WR in the league. You couldn't pass that up. He has a good 4 years left in the tank as much as I like Roy Williams, Steve is proven, Roy not to the degree of Smith.

I'd take either as I have HUGE concerns for this team at WR.

:hammer:

Steve Smith, although volatile is a known commodity. In Carolina, Steve Smith is a big fish in a small pond, in Dallas he would be a big fish in a very large pond among other big fishes.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2175811 said:
You needn't be a math expert, but you do need to read the entire exchange in context.

When I assert that Smith "provides the best possible fix for the next two seasons," I'm accounting for the ages of both Smith and Owens, who will be in his late 30s after two years--the age that most receivers show a noticeable decline.

In my very next sentence, I make a similar statement regarding the pairing of Williams and Owens: "Acquiring Williams provides potentially the second best possible fix for the next two years and the best possible fix for the next seven or eight years." Once again, my statement accounts for the advancing age of Owens, and then considers the prospect of life post-Owens.

I never stated that Williams will play 5 to 6 years longer than Smith; I simply think Williams is more likely to play 7 or 8 more years than Smith for two reasons:

1) Williams will be 33/34 in 7 years while Smith will be 36/37.

2) Receivers such as Roy Williams, whose game is predicated largely on size and strength, seem to play at a higher level for a longer time period than receivers such as Steve Smith, whose game is predicated on speed and quickness. Case in point: Terry Glenn's career is probably finished while Owens is still playing very well.

Not trying to be a jerk, but this clarification........didn't!

1)Steve Smith is a better player than Roy Williams.

This simple truth, has not been argued by one poster in this thread.

2)Steve Smith is 2.5 years older than Roy Williams and has played 3 more season.

3)Steve Smith is 5-9 and solid as rock. Williams at 6-3 is a bigger target and probably more likely to be injured going forward. Smith is more likely to play more years in this league than Williams

4)Steve Smith's skill set is a better and is perhaps the perfect compliment to a player like TO.

I have to be honest and admit that I'm a little embarrassed by the poll results. I thought the collective football IQ of the Zoners was a little higher.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
sonnyboy;2175910 said:

1)Steve Smith is a better player than Roy Williams.

2)Steve Smith is 2.5 years older than Roy Williams and has played 3 more season.

3)Steve Smith is 5-9 and solid as rock. Williams at 6-3 is a bigger target and probably more likely to be injured going forward. Smith is more likely to play more years in this league than Williams

4)Steve Smith's skill set is a better and is perhaps the perfect compliment to a player like TO.

I have to be honest and admit that I'm a little embarrassed by the poll results. I thought the collective football IQ of the Zoners was a little higher.

maybe it was just you that you overestimated.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
If we had to choose between Roy Williams and Steve Smith?

Steve Smith. Easily. And it ain't even close.

We all know that the Cowboys have a tendency to get punched in the mouth late in the season and cave in. We have lacked the dog on this team for quite sometime. But Steve Smith is all dog. A Rotweiler. He gives his all on every play and will never quit. He would bring so much fire and intensity to this team that teams would literally fear us. Can you imagine Owens, Smith, and Barber all trying to knock your teeth out?

As I have said before, because of my region, I am forced to watch nearly all of the Panthers games and Smith has carried the ENTIRE offense. He has been on some crappy Carolina teams but always gives it everything he has.

And get this.... Steve Smith is better than Terry Glenn.

Cowboysfan22

Reaction score
Steve Smith is a vet and he is a great receiver though Roy is younger I would still take Steve because he is a good playmaker.

Cowboysfan22

Reaction score
I think it would be great to have either one but I don't think we will trade anything for them because Jerry doesn't believe that we really need a wide receiver that bad. I think we have some talented young guys. But if we could get Steve Smith or even Roy Williams we would have to see what we'd have to give up.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Cowboysfan22;2175957 said:
I think it would be great to have either one but I don't think we will trade anything for them because Jerry doesn't believe that we really need a wide receiver that bad. I think we have some talented young guys. But if we could get Steve Smith or even Roy Williams we would have to see what we'd have to give up.

you been listening to jones lately? all he can talk about is trading and scenarios. with jones i have to think that means something.

who knows. maybe he's just losing it and likes to ramble. : )

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
iceberg;2175334 said:
let's say that steve smith has legs. well, the rumor anyway. we've been long rumored as wanting roy williams on the team too. if we had to make a pick between one or the other and the cost would be about the same, which WR would you pick/trade for?
On skills and ability, Smith hands down.

But I don't trust Smith, so for the sake of team cohesion, Williams

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
EPL0c0;2176203 said:

that's about the best cliff note synopsis i've seen so far. :)

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
EPL0c0;2176203 said:

I don't think Smith is that much of a team problem other than now this stuff creates suspensions. Used to be taken care of solely by the team without worry for the most part by the league. So because I'm a little concerned he'd pull something like that in Dallas I voted for Williams.

And you cannot underestimate the damage he has done with his teammates. I think he can overcome it but one more time and he's got major problems.

Smith is the better player in that I think it more likely he would make a play when you needed it. That is the mark of an elite player along with being a solid citizen and team player. That doesn't mean Williams can't be a player like that.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
sonnyboy;2175910 said:

Well, it does require a reading comprehension beyond that of a fifth grader.:D

1)Steve Smith is a better player than Roy Williams

No one, including myself, has denied propositions one and four. At this point, Steve Smith is a better player and a better compliment; however, he's not necessarily the better choice. Steve Smith has reached a ceiling in his career while Roy Williams is still developing. After TO retires in the very near future, Roy will just be reaching his late 20s and, in all likelihood, will be able to assume the primary receiver role for a longer period of time than Smith.

Smith has also had luxury of playing on some decent to very good Carolina teams. Roy Williams, on the other hand, has been trapped on a consistently horrid Detroit team. Given Smith's combustible personality, I'm forced to question how he would handle having to share passes with TO and Witten.

As most people have conceded, both pairings (Smith and TO or William and TO) would create a truly dominant receiving corp. So why not choose the pairing that serves us in both present and future?

In my opinion, there are excellent arguments on both sides. I don't denigrate the football acumen of my fellow posters simply because they want a player other than the one I want.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I would take Williams. For no other reason then that fact that he is younger. It is my guess that Smith or Williams will take a 5 to 6 year deal with guaranted money associated. The chances of Smith playing out that contract, at a high level of performance is less likely then Williams, IMO. At 5 or 6 years, that puts Smith in his 12 or 13th season. Roy Williams would be in his 9th or 10th, which would likely still be very productive for him. Of course, this assumes that neither player suffers a career ending type injury.

In regards to the speed aspects, Smith is probably faster off the line but I don't believe he has better top end speed then Williams does. There are not many guys anywhere who have the same kind of top end speed he has. His 100 speed is world class type speed, according to reports I've read. Having said that, much depends on quickness so you can make that case for Smith. On the other hand, Smith will never be the redzone target Williams will be. Each brings different things.

If you compare the numbers of each player, over the first four years of there careers, Williams has better numbers. Williams is going into the prime of his career. Steve Smith is in the Prime of his career. We can't know how good Williams will be but we do know how good Smith is and that's pretty dang good. One thing I think you need to consider is TD production. In 7 seasons, Smith has 37 TDs. In 4 seasons, Williams has 28. That breaks down to a TD every 11.6 receptions. Williams averages a TD every 8.7. That, to me, cleary reflects the Redzone effect I discussed earlier.

Short term, Smith is probably the better choice but long term, which is what we would probably sign for, I think it's Williams.

All things equal, which they never would be, I'd probably take Williams over Smith but at the end of the day, I'd be happy to have either. I would take whichever one we could get a deal done with consider myself lucky to have either on the team.