if it came to it - steve smith, or roy williams

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
I LOVE ME SOME ME!;2175419 said:
Keep hoping one day that Roy Williams gets it because hes from Texas you homers.

The fact that I'm a Longhorn alumnus and fan has no bearing on my decision here.

My Cowboy fandom is just as strong (if not stronger) than my Longhorn fandom, and I only desire that Dallas acquire the best possible players, regardless of whether or not they wear burnt orange and white.

In fact, Mack Brown's tendency to coddle and shield his players has always made me question the ability of former Longhorns to handle the mental and physical rigors of an NFL season. Consequently, I tend to be quite tentative about selecting them in the draft.

For instance, I did not want the Cowboys selecting Cedric Benson in any round due to some serious and legitimate questions about his desire and tenacity. Limas Sweed should not been selected in any round higher than late second/early third. I'm befuddled as to why Michael Griffin was drafted as high as he was given how much he struggled playing cover 2 in college.

Roy Williams is different, however. He has demonstrated the qualities necessary to succeed in the NFL. If Steve Smith played in Detroit, I doubt his numbers would be significantly better than Roy's over the past three years.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQcowboyJR;2175448 said:
Well the guy is not terribly slow and wins balls in the air.

Are we talking about the height of Roy Williams all of a sudden?

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2175415 said:
If you could promise that Steve Smith's acquisition guaranteed a Super Bowl victory, I would vote Steve Smith. But there are no guarantees in professional sports.

Roy Williams and Terrell Owens, just like Steve Smith and Terrell Owens, would constitute the best WR tandem in the NFL. Therefore, acquiring Roy Williams is a fix for both "today" and the future.

So give me Roy Williams.

that's just it - i can't promise either one. i'm just saying i won't discount his age as an automatic + to roy. the question is who's the better match w/TO for the next 2-3 years also.

PosterChild

Reaction score
I just finished watching last nights DFW Sportsbeat on Foxsports SW

B Sham interviewed Jerry who convinced me that we will make a trade before the final cut. Jerry had that gleam in his eyes and was rubbing his hands together, frothing at the mouth just a little...he raved about the depth here and how it's "better than on any previous team." And other teams have already been calling about players and various trade scenarios. Teams are talking about the likelihood that Parcells is licking his chops waiting for final cuts knowing he'll get first crack at them.

So other clubs know they more than likely will need to make a trade sometime in the next 3-4 wks if they want to upgrade their talent.. I'm convinced we'll do something--even if it's for draft picks.

In an ideal world I'd be thrilled with either Smith/Williams. Flip a coin.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
PosterChild;2175470 said:
I just finished watching last nights DFW Sportsbeat on Foxsports SW

B Sham interviewed Jerry who convinced me that we will make a trade before the final cut. Jerry had that gleam in his eyes and was rubbing his hands together, frothing at the mouth just a little...he raved about the depth here and how it's "better than on any previous team." And other teams have already been calling about players and various trade scenarios. Teams are talking about the likelihood that Parcells is licking his chops waiting for final cuts knowing he'll get first crack at them.

So other clubs know they more than likely will need to make a trade sometime in the next 3-4 wks if they want to upgrade their talent.. I'm convinced we'll do something--even if it's for draft picks.

In an ideal world I'd be thrilled with either Smith/Williams. Flip a coin.

like i told dcfanatic - jones is talking too much about it for there not to be something there. jones simply can't contain himself so pick up on the things he talks about the most and draw your own conclusions.

a trade is in the works. period.

i'll bet 10 minutes alone w/hos on it.

Reaction score
iceberg;2175463 said:
that's just it - i can't promise either one. i'm just saying i won't discount his age as an automatic + to roy. the question is who's the better match w/TO for the next 2-3 years also.

:lmao2: I really can't believe this is a thread topic. This can't be real. Ask Fred Smoot who is better.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
I LOVE ME SOME ME!;2175475 said:
:lmao2: I really can't believe this is a thread topic. This can't be real. Ask Fred Smoot who is better.

<insert witty repartee here>

PosterChild

Reaction score
iceberg;2175473 said:
like i told dcfanatic - jones is talking too much about it for there not to be something there. jones simply can't contain himself so pick up on the things he talks about the most and draw your own conclusions.

a trade is in the works. period.

i'll bet 10 minutes alone w/hos on it.

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WHat?

BruceWayne

Tennione72
Reaction score
Steve Smith without a doubt. his size is not an issue. He makes up for that with HEART

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Idgit;2175487 said:
He's allowing 9 min for cleanup, I'd guess.

hey, what's done i have no control of. well, hos either but if i had 10 minutes with him, i'd sure be ok losing it in a bet.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
I think Smith is a better receiver, especially opposite Owens. However, I voted for Williams. The article posted earlier today saying that folks on his own team are tired of Smith's antics is enough for me.

He's sucker-punched two of his own team mates now and was ejected from a game after going off because Newman wouldn't let him catch a pass. If he causes dissent in the locker room he isn't worth the trouble.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
LeonDixson;2175489 said:
I think Smith is a better receiver, especially opposite Owens. However, I voted for Williams. The article posted earlier today saying that folks on his own team are tired of Smith's antics is enough for me.

He's sucker-punched two of his own team mates now and was ejected from a game after going off because Newman wouldn't let him catch a pass. If he causes dissent in the locker room he isn't worth the trouble.

i seem to recall davis beating up someone on the skins sideline in camp once.

where did he end up again?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
iceberg;2175495 said:
i seem to recall davis beating up someone on the skins sideline in camp once.

where did he end up again?

I think that was the other way around. Wasn't it Westbrook wailing on Davis?

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Knocks on Smith's terrible temper I understand, but I do not understand the negative feedback on his age (vs. Roy Williams).

Everyone knows that Steve Smith is the same age as Patrick Crayton, right? The current #2 on the roster.

I love Roy Williams too, but this is THE Steve Smith we're talking about. Forget potential, the guy is already a proven playmaker. Not just opposite T.O. but from the slot, on reverses, etc.

I'd take either of them myself, but if forced to choose between the 2, you have to take Steve Smith. Roy may be a couple of years younger, but the SB window of opportunity is NOW anyway. Not five years from now.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
iceberg;2175463 said:

It depends. TO is at a stage in his career where the other side of the mountain is rapidly approaching, and once he reaches that side, I would rather have Roy Williams because he is in a much better position to assume a primary receive role for the next decade than Steve Smith. Although Steve Smith isn't old, his game is predicated largely on speed, and age tends to affect such players in a more profound way.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Idgit;2175505 said:
I think that was the other way around. Wasn't it Westbrook wailing on Davis?

did i get that wrong? wow. that was so perfect in my own mind...so now we need to get the guy he beat up for this to work.

right, i buggered that one up. moving right along now.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2175519 said:
It depends. TO is at a stage in his career where the other side of the mountain is rapidly approaching, and once he reaches that side, I would rather have Roy Williams because he is in a much better position to assume a primary receive role for the next decade than Steve Smith. Although Steve Smith isn't old, his game is predicated largely on speed, and age tends to affect such players in a more profound way.

agreed, but barring injury that's 2-3 years away. so the real question to me is who's a better fit for those 2 years.

a speedy glenn replacement more suited to the role?
a younger up and coming star who's not but will be here later. hopefully?

still thinking on my end, btw. i refuse to answer yet!

PosterChild

Reaction score
I've changed my mind. The guy's bad news. <<<<<<<<<<<Smith

Bring in Roy Williams.