If Jerry was going to do it then it would've been done

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
I really wouldn't doubt if Garret gets a GM title. When you think about it, its perfect for Jerry:
- He installs a puppet who is going to do whatever he wants. In effect, Jerry still is GM.
- He gets people off him for being GM/owner
- He gets someone to meet with the media and give them empty platitudes when things are tough instead of him getting beat up and giving scotch infused ramblings
- He gets to hire a new coach who is the fall guy when the team to live up to expectations
And then the Cowboys continue on this dream of trying to recreate the 90's. Worst case scenario Carrot stays as HC, almost as bad as worst case scenario is Carrot promoted to GM. This organization needs someone in here to convince them that the 1990s built teams will not work in 2020.

MetalMike

Reaction score
This is just Jerry being Jerry. An egotistical buffoon that is showing everyone that he has the power who can and will do whatever he wants. He knows no matter what he does with JG his stadium will be full every game and the TV contracts will still be there as will the NFL revenue. And until any of that changes he has nothing to lose. Until the stadium is regularly half-full and the merchandise sales are in the tank and the networks fight tooth and nail to avoid showing the Cowboys, this is what we'll continue to get; Jerry being Jerry.

Gaede

Reaction score
Another thing we can exclude from the list of possibilities is a one-year deal.

No assistant coach would sign on for a one-year deal. And we're out of a DC at the moment. And even if we did have Richard and Marinelli on staff, Jerry has to make some change in order to justify a foolish decision to re-sign the HC. So we need to hire new coaches and nobody is coming in on a one year deal.

Logically, if Jerry is re-signing Garrett, it's a multi-year deal

Creeper

Reaction score
Jason Garrett is staying in a different role.

General Manager?

The next coach is already hired, or has another game or more to coach before they interview him.

That is my guess.

If Garrett is given the GM role then what happens to McClay? He probably leaves. It sounds like a Jerry move but its the worst possible move the Cowboys can make, even worse than leaving Garrett in the HC job. Imagine HC candidates coming to interview knowing JG is still in the room wanting to coach the Cowboys?

Staubacher

Reaction score
If a fast food franchise had an employee making several million dollars a year with a 50 page employment contract, it would take more than two days.
It's gonna be at least 5 days and a bunch of other teams did it in 1.

Staubacher

Reaction score
If he is truly doing this out of "respect" for Garrett, wouldn't it make sense to release him as early as possible so he can find a new job? None of it adds up.
It all adds up if Garrett is coming back. Simplest explanation. The delay is the new contract details and/or pacifying an angry fan base.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
man. What's happening in Dallas is almost criminal. I wish the day had NEVER occurred that Jerry Jones bought the Dallas Cowboys. No way he got his business this big on his own. He can't even make his mind up on something this obvious. How did he do it making business decisions? I say it was a ghost business guy who did it.

MrPhil

Reaction score
What is the reason for 2 meetings? If you were going to fire him he would've already done it. I think that he's having these meetings to let the fans know before hand that there's a possibility he's just floating the concept that he"ll be coming back. Why even let him have exit meetings when he's not coming back next year? Why have a second meeting with no decision?

If JG comes back then I'm through with this organization (financially and following) until he's gone.

This would be the biggest middle finger to the fans period.

Jerry is gonna get a middle finger from me in return if he screws this up.....not the he cares.

cml750

Reaction score
I feel certain now Jerry has made a decision to retain Garrett. The delay in the announcement is figuring out how to sell it to the fan base. I will not be buying what he is selling ever again if this is the case.

Plankton

Reaction score
If a fast food franchise had an employee making several million dollars a year with a 50 page employment contract, it would take more than two days.

Dude.

His contract is up. If he's staying, it's negotiating an extension. If he's gone as a coach, there is no conversation about coaches that stay that would involve Garrett, because he wouldn't be a part of their future in any meaningful way. If he's getting kicked upstairs, then it's a negotiation.

If this is just him being removed, it's done in one meeting. There would be no loose ends to be tied with Garrett.

Flamma

Reaction score
Jason Garrett is staying in a different role.

General Manager?

The next coach is already hired, or has another game or more to coach before they interview him.

That is my guess.

That's the only reason I could see for the delay. Jerry doesn't read these boards and won't be interested in fan approval. He's going to do what he wants.

curboys

Reaction score
To those of you thinking of handing in your fan cards, what teams would you guys follow? Or would you guys just stop watching football completely? Or would you just watch football, but not have a favorite team in mind?

New Orleans Saints, Seattle Seahawks, San Francisco 49ers, Baltimore Ravens, and Kansas City Chiefs to name a few.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
This is just Jerry being Jerry. An egotistical buffoon that is showing everyone that he has the power who can and will do whatever he wants. He knows no matter what he does with JG his stadium will be full every game and the TV contracts will still be there as will the NFL revenue. And until any of that changes he has nothing to lose. Until the stadium is regularly half-full and the merchandise sales are in the tank and the networks fight tooth and nail to avoid showing the Cowboys, this is what we'll continue to get; Jerry being Jerry.

Let all Dallas fans drop to our knees and give worship to this wannabe football god. He's loving this attention. Probably got his first:muttley: on in years from this attention. Just release us ,Jerry. Give us hope with a new head coach coach. Or give some of us our papers to walk by rehiring Garrett. Either way...get it over with already!!!:facepalm:

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
I agree.

If he was to be rid of then it would have been done by now in my opinion.

Makes me want to puke. Even before the 19 beers I drink tonight.

tm1119

Reaction score
The most likely scenario is that its going to be several weeks until the new HC finishes the playoffs and "official" talks begin with them. There will be four billion threads like this until then.

The first meeting was the normal end of season meeting, the second was probably transition issues and details about coaches that are likely to stay. This isn't a fast food franchise guys.

The soon to be gone head coach doesn’t discuss ”transition issues” (whatever that means) or the staff he will no longer be in charge of in any other franchise. There needed to be an exit interview. Nothing else. Don’t know what, but something else is going on

Loso86

Reaction score
What is the reason for 2 meetings? If you were going to fire him he would've already done it. I think that he's having these meetings to let the fans know before hand that there's a possibility he's just floating the concept that he"ll be coming back. Why even let him have exit meetings when he's not coming back next year? Why have a second meeting with no decision?

If JG comes back then I'm through with this organization (financially and following) until he's gone.

This would be the biggest middle finger to the fans period.
Nah I personally feel like they already know who there hiring or that there in the playoffs. Either way I think JG is gone as HC