Twitter: If Jersey sales are any indicator, Dak is king

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Cowboys had 1. Prescott; 2. Elliott; 11. Bryant and 14. Witten in the top 50 players in terms of merchandise sales.

That just makes Jerry Jones smile.

Just more jerseys, T-shirts, wall decals, figurines, vinyl collectibles, bobbleheads, plush dolls, drinkware, socks, holiday ornaments and novelties sold.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

960.jpg

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Cowboys had 1. Prescott; 2. Elliott; 11. Bryant and 14. Witten in the top 50 players in terms of merchandise sales.

That just makes Jerry Jones smile.
Jersey sales are why Dak Prescott isn't going anywhere, no matter what.
So Jerry had his built in excuse to keep Garrett. And now has his excuse not to get a winning team. He is making money, he is happy and has the fans right where he wants them.
To heck with winning a SB...sales, sales, sales....
I'm sure you guys are 100% spot on. This type of news feeds the happy space in Owner Jerry's head. I wonder what GM Jerry & Coach Jerry both think about it. :huh:

Y'all do know those are 3 separate & distinct people right?

robjay04

Reaction score
Correct me if I’m wrong but Jerry doesn’t directly gain anything from jersey sales.

The NFL does though which indirectly benefits the Cowboys but the Jaguars get just as much from Dak Jersey sales as the Cowboys.

So Roger Goodell is smiling. He can screw Zeke and the Cowboys but they still buy him tons of revenue to claim and job security.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Correct me if I’m wrong but Jerry doesn’t directly gain anything from jersey sales.

The NFL does though which indirectly benefits the Cowboys but the Jaguars get just as much from Dak Jersey sales as the Cowboys.

So Roger Goodell is smiling. He can screw Zeke and the Cowboys but they still buy him tons of revenue to claim and job security.
I could be wrong, robjay04
But I've been operating under the assumption that right out of the gate when JJ purchased the franchise he refused the relinquishing of control of such sundry franchise logo items to the league, now I may be 180° off in this assumption, but after reading a couple of printed articles of the period specifically stating such,it has pretty much been indelibly imprinted upon my recollections.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
This thread is going to attract a lot of Dak haters and his haters probably out number his supporters. From what I’ve seen on this board you might have to go back to the mid to late 80s to find a Cowboys QB that’s received as much abuse from the fan base as Dak. Most of the hate is coming from the Romo lovers.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Weeden?

Let's see.. who else...

Quincy Carter

Ryan Leaf

Brad Johnson

Drew Bleedslow

All guys that I doubt ever topped the sales charts.
Hey,Bro! WE ALL KNOW THAT DAK'S #4 jersey being #1 in sales is frickin' AWESOME:thumbup:
And only a man of stellar caliber such as yourself would deem this news worthy of being shared to us,the fan faithful:thumbup:

( yeppers, I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting on @Risen Star to break this out on us,,,,o_O)

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I could be wrong, robjay04
But I've been operating under the assumption that right out of the gate when JJ purchased the franchise he refused the relinquishing of control of such sundry franchise logo items to the league, now I may be 180° off in this assumption, but after reading a couple of printed articles of the period specifically stating such,it has pretty much been indelibly imprinted upon my recollections.

The NFL used to be a profit sharing entity, and still is for the most part.
However as mentioned, Jerry fought this, and wanted control of his own sales. As capitalism shows, why should his sales go to a smaller markets when they do not do anything to market their brand, they just get an equal % of the sales of all NFL items.
I believe at the time Kraft and Davis supported Jerry in this once he showed how much money they can make by marketing it themselves. Now I am not sure if they followed Jerry in his way of doing things, but he did have some support.

Now it is probably only for merchandise deals Jerry makes, but any NFL deals, they probably still split. Jerry did his own deal with Pepsi when the NFL had Coke. Jerry won the right to have, say Reebok make items when the NFL had Nike. So Jerry kept all his Reebok sales.

I am sure there are probably stipulations, or maybe the NFL gets a share of the Cowboys sales, but just not as much as it used to be.

When Jerry took over the Cowboys, they were still a leader in the sales, them and the Raiders. They accounted for around 20% of the sales in the NFL, and the Bengals were around 28th at maybe 3%. So his argument was why should Cincinnati get his profits. The NFL said of course it keeps all teams afloat. So what does Jerry do, he goes out and negotiates HUGE TV contracts then all teams are very happy, as now they made more money than the annual sales.

Jerry got FOX, still up and coming at the time to bid way more than any other TV contract ever, and they had no one in place to run the TV football operations, but it worked. Now they fight over these TV contracts in spite of claiming they lose money...BS, no way the lose money.

Sorry, got off on a tangent there. LOL.