If only people were as concerned about Americans suffering in Puerto Rico as they were

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
How much responsibility does the President have for Puerto Rico? They declined statehood.

Obviously there is a moral responsibility but I'm not clear on it past that.
If it's not clear for you, please allow me to provide you some degree of clarity. Puerto Ricans are as American as anyone in any American state. They have representation in Congress and vote in the presidential primary every 4 years. However, they don't get to vote in the presidential general election or pay federal taxes.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
If it's not clear for you, please allow me to provide you some degree of clarity. Puerto Ricans are as American as anyone in any American state. They have representation in Congress and vote in the presidential primary every 4 years. However, they don't get to vote in the presidential general election or pay federal taxes.

They don't have representation in Congress... and although they can vote for POTUS, they have no electoral votes...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They don't pay taxes but the US is responsible for aid to them just the same as Houston or Florida???

That does not seem to make sense.

Obviously the US should provide humanitarian aid just like we would to Haiti; however, if they don't pay taxes then they don't really have a right to complain.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
They don't pay taxes but the US is responsible for aid to them just the same as Houston or Florida???

Obviously the US should provide humanitarian aid just like we would to Haiti; however, if they don't pay taxes then they don't really have a right to complain.

Holy ****. You heard it here, folks. Puerto Ricans are not Americans.

I can't believe what I've read in this thread. American territories are not really Americans, so we should leave them to die after a natural disaster.

Amazing. I knew the political leanings of most on this board amount to "screw liberals/people of color/f-u i got mine" but this is a new low.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
Who cares? These people are citizens of an American territory. We are responsible for them. Want to split hairs about how American they are? Don't do it after a huge natural disaster. Christ on a cracker.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score

That's just a plain evil way of thinking, you should be ashamed.

You don't even understand the implications of taxes but you're willing to use that to condemn them to death?

Shameful.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
They don't have representation in Congress... and although they can vote for POTUS, they have no electoral votes...
Puerto Rico is represented by a non-voting Resident Commissioner in the United States House of Representatives. The current Resident Commissioner is Jenniffer González. I did not say they had a Congressman or a Senator.

They vote for POTUS in the primary election for which they do have delegates. They do not vote in the general election.

Last edited:

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
Know what they used to call a switchblade...ha! A Puerto Rican checkbook!!:muttley::muttley::muttley::muttley:

Sweet, racist jokes. Awesome. Fantastic.

What's next? A joke aboud stealing car stereos? "N" word jokes? What the hell is wrong with this board?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's just a plain evil way of thinking, you should be ashamed.

You don't even understand the implications of taxes but you're willing to use that to condemn them to death?

Shameful.

No, is this Skip Bayless#

I said they should get humanitarian aid like we gave Haiti a few years ago but they really can't complain if they don't pay taxes.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
No, is this Skip Bayless#

I said they should get humanitarian aid like we gave Haiti a few years ago but they really can't complain if they don't pay taxes.
It didn't help that the Puerto Rican union drivers went on strike causing the relief supplies that Trump sent, to get stuck at their port rather than get distributed. When the San Juan Mayor held her first news conference to beg the world for help and pretend Trump wasn't helping, there were dozens of pallets of aide from Trump just sitting behind her not going to anyone. And she still refuses to attend FEMA meetings there.
san-juan-mayor-soto-600x379.jpg

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
about kneeling. Including the president who rather blame Puerto Rico for their debt, instead of doing something to help the 3.5 millions American citizens suffering without food, water, and the basic things that every person needs to function everyday. Like a song/fabric. matters more to Trump and some of his supporters than the actual lives of human beings in the time of crisis. Where they are begging for help.

A lot of POC happen to live in Puerto Rico and most of the island is without power, but I bet a lot of people are tweeting more in their outrage about the NFL protests, than they are in concerns for people in Puerto Rico. And the fact that the needs of so many POC are being ignored is why protests are happening, because of un equal treatment.

I would say that the true pride in the National Anthem would be to show attention to American Citizens in Crisis over standing for the Anthem.
Being you ignored CowboysZone Rule #7, I'm going to ignore the bold by NOT responding. Call yourself lucky because you wouldn't of liked my reply. You got a way with one by posting political content. :cool:

Last edited:

rags747

Reaction score
It didn't help that the Puerto Rican union drivers went on strike causing the relief supplies that Trump sent, to get stuck at their port rather than get distributed. When the San Juan Mayor held her first news conference to beg the world for help and pretend Trump wasn't helping, there were dozens of pallets of aide from Trump just sitting behind her not going to anyone. And she still refuses to attend FEMA meetings there.
san-juan-mayor-soto-600x379.jpg
This false narrative Dem spin has proven to be totally false. Trump has handled all three major storms in quick succession like a F ing Rockstar. Read today that 95% of the reporting on Trump has been negative, deep state is fighting for its life and future.

Status
Not open for further replies.