If Parcells is so good?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;1314866 said:
OMG.

This is like one of those Urban Legends that just won't die.

Aikman was asked to work out both.

He liked both. He liked Gonzalez better...But said LaFleur was fine...Not exact words...But you get the point.

The Cowboys would have taken Gonzalez if the opportunity was there...BUT it wasn't because the Chiefs had already taken Gonzalez.

The Cowboys took the Next best TE...LaFleur.

Aikman didn't tell the Cowboys to take LaFleur or that he was better than Gonzalez.

I just cant believe where some people come up with the garbage of "Aikman had Jones draft this guy or sign that guy"

that isnt what happened...its likethe people saying a move works because of Parcells, but if it sux its because of Jones pulling the strings...

we needed a TE badly in 1997...there were two consensus first rounders..one of the scouting organizations (I believe Blesto) had LaFleur rated the 9th best player in the draft...the guy wasnt some 2nd day scrub prospect who we drafted in the 1st rd...

and we badly needed a premier WR in 2000...it was painfully obvious our WR's were garbage from the mid 90's onward (save Irevin, who was obviously out of the picture after early in the 99 season)...Galloway was one of the premier game breaking, explosive WR's in the league...we went and got him...he got hurt, then Aikman called it quits after that 2000 season...unfortunately it didnt work out

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
AtlCB;1315586 said:
I wouldn't call the Saints a team of mostly cast-off, patchwork talent. The team was talented before but had a terrible coach and a pathetic QB. The Saints are much more talented on both lines than we are, have a better QB, and have better ILB's. Most of their "cast-offs" are role players.

huh?

please...they were 3-13 for a reason...they were dreadful on the OL and on defense...even as late as this preseaosn it looked like the Saints OL and defense was garbage

it was a tremendous coaching job

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Deputy493;1314931 said:
I am not, I realize if Tony G had been there we would've taken him, but KC took him ahead of us.......my contention is we would not have reached for a position of need if Aikman had not signed off on LaFleur after their personal workout...........both Aikman and JJ were under the dellusion that we were still a piece or two away fron the Superbowl at that point, when in fact we should've been in rebuild mode as we all now know.

honestly, this is ridiculous

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1314882 said:
BB wouldn't have won 3 SUper Bowls w/o Mangini, Crennel and Weis either

maybe, but he was in the playoffs last yr, went 12-4 this and is just one game away from another Super Bowl

David

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;1316608 said:
huh?

please...they were 3-13 for a reason...they were dreadful on the OL and on defense...even as late as this preseaosn it looked like the Saints OL and defense was garbage

David

so you don't think trading Aaron Brooks in for Drew Brees, getting back Deuce McCallister, adding another wrinkle into the O in Bush, getting the steal of the draft Marques Colston, and getting a couple of our Lbs had any effect?

and the Saint D hasn't significantly improved over last year's version, they just switched from being poor against the run, to poor against the pass

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;1316613 said:
maybe, but he was in the playoffs last yr, went 12-4 this and is just one game away from another Super Bowl

David

I still dont' see a Super Bowl ring w/o those assistants

and when does assembling, and teaching a great staff, become a knock against you?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Deputy493;1314896 said:
well seeing how you live in Ohio and I live here, yes please tell me about what is urban legend and not......everyone knows that he liked both, but they would never have reached for LaFleur if Aikman didn't sign off on him, that was an Aikman choice, to make him happy.....not urban legend, very well known and documented in the DFW area.

FYI, show me where I ever said he liked LaFleur better......when Gonzalez was gone they reached for LaFleur because Aikman missed Novachek.

yes, the other poster is correct...this is internet forum junk thats out of control

the offense badly missed a quality TE in 96 &97...our team wasnt scoring points...we had a poor WR corp save Irvin...we badly needed a quality TE to make the system work...again, LaFleur was not a "reach", he was a concensus 1st rd pick by everybody, one service even had him rated the 9th best prospect in the draft

when Gailey came in he changed the system and de-emphasized the TE, still LaFleur had a couple of pretty good yrs and was one of the premier blocking TE's in football...he had great hands and was pretty athletic for someone as big as he was (go back and look at the 2 td catches he made vs Cinci his rookie yr)...the back injury did him in, else he might have been a probowler

David

AtlCB

Reaction score
dbair1967;1316608 said:
huh?

David
Are you disputing the fact that the Saints are better on both sides of the line and that the Saints have better linebackers? :confused:

Also, the Saints line is very different than it was last year. Their line was still better than ours was last year. Our DL has underperformed all year. Their DL has played well. Our ILB's weren't very good this year. Their MLB played very well. Their DL and ILB's played well last year as well.

The biggest change for the Saints is the offense. A lot of this improvement came at the QB position. Brees is just much better than Brooks. Have you seen Brooks attempt to play in Oakland????

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
dbair1967;1316629 said:
yes, the other poster is correct...this is internet forum junk thats out of control

the offense badly missed a quality TE in 96 &97...our team wasnt scoring points...we had a poor WR corp save Irvin...we badly needed a quality TE to make the system work...again, LaFleur was not a "reach", he was a concensus 1st rd pick by everybody, one service even had him rated the 9th best prospect in the draft

when Gailey came in he changed the system and de-emphasized the TE, still LaFleur had a couple of pretty good yrs and was one of the premier blocking TE's in football...he had great hands and was pretty athletic for someone as big as he was (go back and look at the 2 td catches he made vs Cinci his rookie yr)...the back injury did him in, else he might have been a probowler

David
All true !

alancdc

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;1314753 said:
Gailey got fired because of his relationship with Aikman.

True, and I do agree with the o line woes. I mean, eveyone wants to talk about how great Brady is, and is is great, but man he NEVER GETS TOUCHED. I could hit a receiver in the numbers if I had 8 seconds and could go through my 4 reads.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
dbair1967;1316607 said:
I just cant believe where some people come up with the garbage of "Aikman had Jones draft this guy or sign that guy"
that isnt what happened...its likethe people saying a move works because of Parcells, but if it sux its because of Jones pulling the strings...

we needed a TE badly in 1997...there were two consensus first rounders..one of the scouting organizations (I believe Blesto) had LaFleur rated the 9th best player in the draft...the guy wasnt some 2nd day scrub prospect who we drafted in the 1st rd...

and we badly needed a premier WR in 2000...it was painfully obvious our WR's were garbage from the mid 90's onward (save Irevin, who was obviously out of the picture after early in the 99 season)...Galloway was one of the premier game breaking, explosive WR's in the league...we went and got him...he got hurt, then Aikman called it quits after that 2000 season...unfortunately it didnt work out

David

Still gets me. Like I said it one of those legends that got started and even today it's still repeated despite it being proven wrong.

I guess it will never die.:confused:

Skin

Reaction score
AtlCB;1316651 said:
Are you disputing the fact that the Saints are better on both sides of the line and that the Saints have better linebackers? :confused:

Also, the Saints line is very different than it was last year. Their line was still better than ours was last year. Our DL has underperformed all year. Their DL has played well. Our ILB's weren't very good this year. Their MLB played very well. Their DL and ILB's played well last year as well.

The biggest change for the Saints is the offense. A lot of this improvement came at the QB position. Brees is just much better than Brooks. Have you seen Brooks attempt to play in Oakland????

Anyone on this board who honestly predicted that the New Orleans Saints were going to be better than the Cowboys this year, please tell me now. Brees was huge, but let me tell you that coaching was huge as well. Payton turned over 20 something players on that roster. Don't tell me it was the GM either, he was the GM when Haslett was there.

Also, if the Saints have so much more talent than we do on both sides of the ball, that's just more of an indictment of our washed up coach, who functions as the de facto GM.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
CowboyChris;1314902 said:
i wouldnt put the blame on the offensive line for how our year went this year, you could make that argument about last years team

With just average to slightly above average play out of the offensive line Dallas would of been almost unstoppable this year. They were incosistant most of the year vs good teams and the running game was never really able to get on track because they were getting no push and couldnt get the job done in short yardage situations. The pass protection was spotty at best. If it wasnt for Romo's ability to make plays outside the pocket they would of been a 7-9 team this year.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
alancdc;1316799 said:
True, and I do agree with the o line woes. I mean, eveyone wants to talk about how great Brady is, and is is great, but man he NEVER GETS TOUCHED. I could hit a receiver in the numbers if I had 8 seconds and could go through my 4 reads.

The games were he was harressed he looked awful just like every other QB in the league. San Diego had him pressing and out of rhythem most of the game but their offense wasnt able to put the game away.

Look at Eli this year in the 2 games vs us he played looked better then almost any other games, because he had all day to sit in the pocket. We never made him uncomfortable and he was able to get in a rhythem and have success vs us.

alancdc

Reaction score
Doomsday;1316825 said:
The games were he was harressed he looked awful just like every other QB in the league. San Diego had him pressing and out of rhythem most of the game but their offense wasnt able to put the game away.

Look at Eli this year in the 2 games vs us he played looked better then almost any other games, because he had all day to sit in the pocket. We never made him uncomfortable and he was able to get in a rhythem and have success vs us.

I agree with ya.

DipChit

Reaction score
Skin;1316809 said:
Anyone on this board who honestly predicted that the New Orleans Saints were going to be better than the Cowboys this year, please tell me now. Brees was huge, but let me tell you that coaching was huge as well. Payton turned over 20 something players on that roster. Don't tell me it was the GM either, he was the GM when Haslett was there.

Also, if the Saints have so much more talent than we do on both sides of the ball, that's just more of an indictment of our washed up coach, who functions as the de facto GM.

From the Tampa Bay board at the end of '03 11 months removed from their SB victory as they watched the playoffs on tv and we were in them:

Anyone on this board who honestly predicted that the Dallas Cowboys were going to be better than the Buccaneers this year please tell me now. The defense was huge, but let me tell you that coaching was huge as well. Parcells turned over 20 something players on that roster. Dont tell me it was Jerry Jones either, cause he was there when Campo was there.

Also, since the Cowboys have so much less talent than we do on both sides of the ball, thats just more of an indictment of our "terrific" young and hungry coach, who was a one year wonder cant carry Parcells' jockstrap.

Skin

Reaction score
DipChit;1316939 said:
From the Tampa Bay board at the end of '03 11 months removed from their SB victory as they watched the playoffs on tv and we were in them:

Anyone on this board who honestly predicted that the Dallas Cowboys were going to be better than the Buccaneers this year please tell me now. The defense was huge, but let me tell you that coaching was huge as well. Parcells turned over 20 something players on that roster. Dont tell me it was Jerry Jones either, cause he was there when Campo was there.

Also, since the Cowboys have so much less talent than we do on both sides of the ball, thats just more of an indictment of our "terrific" young and hungry coach, who was a one year wonder cant carry Parcells' jockstrap.

Those were the days...we had a 4-3 and Bill Parcells could actually coach.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday;1316817 said:
With just average to slightly above average play out of the offensive line Dallas would of been almost unstoppable this year. They were incosistant most of the year vs good teams and the running game was never really able to get on track because they were getting no push and couldnt get the job done in short yardage situations. The pass protection was spotty at best. If it wasnt for Romo's ability to make plays outside the pocket they would of been a 7-9 team this year.

Agreed. Simply replacing Rivera is a fool's errand. I'd be very wary of extending Gurode and Colombo, but much like Tuna, we may be "stuck" with them.

Kilyin

Reaction score
DipChit;1316939 said:

The key difference being that we were one and done then, and one and done now. Meanwhile, the Saints are playing for the NFC championship.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1316623 said:
I still dont' see a Super Bowl ring w/o those assistants

and when does assembling, and teaching a great staff, become a knock against you?[/quote]
when they leave you and win superbowls or go to the nfc champ game in his 1st season for starters