CFZ If Quinn leave, Cowboys should hire Ron Rivera as DC, and Eberflus as LB coach

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Hell no to Rivera at DC he's done nothing since Carolina and he had that stacked Commanders front full of 1st rounders.....

I don't want Eberflus either. If Quinn leaves give Al Harris a shot.
I would think that Whitt would get the first shot at it, but Harris is a great coach that may end up getting his opportunity as well.

Just a big no to Rivera.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I would think that Whitt would get the first shot at it, but Harris is a great coach that may end up getting his opportunity as well.

Just a big no to Rivera.
Yeah I'm not sure how they feel about Whitt. I forget he's here he sort of reminds me of George Edwards....but who knows. I just know I don't want Rivera or Eberflus.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
I would like unit coaches who can turn around the LBs unit. It may necessitate that Quinn leaves, but we need to shore up the middle level of our defence.

I don't know why Dallas suffers to badly in defending the run, and being a physical team, but I would start lookig really hard at Will McClay and his scouting staff. I see LB types who are not DAWGs, and it is my opinion that there is s systemic issue with people not understanding certain types of persohalities needed to be successful in this league at certain contact positions.
McClay's modus operandi is to find players to fit the mold the coaches want. If the coaches highly valued run stoppers in the front 7, he'd find those players. McClay is like a chef - he cooks the meal ordered by the patrons. If the coaches and leadership wanted a different "meal", McClay would use his staff to cook it up for them. The problem isn't McClay - it is what the coaches decide they have needed. Last year, the Cowboys drafted a Defensive Tackle and Linebacker with 2 of their first 3 picks. Expect a similar focus this year, and the development of their 1st and 3rd round picks from this past draft. The Cowboys will get better this coming offseason.

My choice for this upcoming draft priorities would be: (trade Trey Lance to Minnesota for 3rd and 4th round picks.)
  • 1st round - Center/OT Graham Barton, Duke
  • 2nd round - LB, DT or RB
  • 3rd round (from Minnesota for Trey Lance) - LB, DT, or RB
  • 3rd round - LB, DT or RB
  • 4th round (from Minnesota for Trey Lance) - OG or CB
  • 7th round (from Raiders) - BPA
  • 7th round - BPA

JayFord

Reaction score
Ron Rivera?

washingtons defense is just as bad as our 2020 defense

i get dc is different than HC but Ron is cooked

Swanny

Reaction score
Some guys get multiple shots at being a head coach in the NFL, but their niche is actually being a offensive or defensive coordinator. A couple of examples come to mind.
  1. Josh McDaniel proved to be a good offensive coordinator, but has flamed out twice as a head coach, first in Denver, and this year in Las Vegas. The players won't accept him trying to emulate the disciplinary approach of Bill Belichick.
  2. Wade Phillips has had multiple shots at being head coach in Denver, Buffalo, and Dallas, and interim head coach in New Orleans, Atlanta and Houston. But his forte was being an excellent defensive coordinator. He won a Super Bowl ring with the Broncos as a defensive coordinator in Super Bowl 50. The reason he kept getting opportunities to be a head coach was his stellar record as a defensive coordinator. He returned to the Super Bowl with the Rams against the Tom Brady led Patriots as a coordinator and his defense held the Patriots to only 13 points in a 13-3 loss with Jared Goff as QB of the Rams.
Now let's talk about Dan Quinn and Ron Rivera. Both of them have taken teams to the Super Bowl as head coaches in Atlanta and Carolina. But both lost to HOF QB's in Brady and Peyton Manning, although the Carolina loss was really a defensive win by the Broncos. So, unlike McDaniel and Phillips, both have shown they can be successful as head coaches in the NFL in a way neither McDaniels or Phillips ever did. But it is unlikely that when the Commanders fire Ron Rivera at the end of this season that another team is going to hire Rivera immediately as their next head coach. On the other hand, Dan Quinn may be the hottest head coaching candidate on the market in 2024.

McCarthy, who has earned a contract extension, has shown the humility to be able to work with former head coaches, and his ego doesn't require him to be overly dominant - as he showed by allowing Kellen Moore to remain as OC, even though circumstances have shown that McCarthy is better at being the play caller than Moore has been. It would be interesting to see Ron Rivera bring some of the "Buddy Ryan, 46-defense" philosophy that the 1985 Bears used to be one of the most dominant defenses in NFL history. It might also result in getting some better coaching for the linebackers, and perhaps some better talent evaluation for the linebacker spot.

Going into the next draft, the priorities have to be Defensive Tackle and Linebacker on defense for the Cowboys. The Cowboys are well set up in the defensive backfield, and with pass rushers. Getting a guy like Rivera, someone who has been successful as a player, coordinator and head coach, would potentially set the Cowboys up for success, if Dan Quinn chooses to take advantage of what many believe will be multiple opportunities to become a head coach again in the NFL. Potentially, bringing back Matt Eberflus as DC, who has flamed out as a head coach in Chicago, is another option, if Chicago jumps at Ron Rivera coming home to be head coach of the Bears. Or, the Cowboys could bring in both Rivera and Eberflus as the DC and linebackers coach.
Al Harris as DC

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Hell no. I want someone from the 49ers defensive tree. You see the success in those defenses with Robert Saleh and DeMeco Ryans.
OR, someone versed in Fangio’s scheme, which would probably include playing Micah at what seems to be his most NATURAL position - 3-4 OLB.

Majic

Reaction score
OR, someone versed in Fangio’s scheme, which would probably include playing Micah at what seems to be his most NATURAL position - 3-4 OLB.
That won't happen. It's too logical a move to try and get the best out of your star player

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
DQ defense seems to have reached its peak, looks like a finesse scheme to stop the passing game and create TOs. I'm ready for a change.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Ron Rivera's non-head coaching career as a defensive coach

1999-2003 - Linebackers coach, Eagles - Eagles went to 3 consecutive NFC championship games, and LB Jeremiah Trotter became 2x All-Pro,and the Eagles had top 10 defenses in 4 of those 5 seasons.
2004-2006 - Defensive Coordinator, Bears - 2nd and 3rd rated defenses in 2005 & 2006, Bears in Super Bowl in 2006 season
2007-2010 - Linebackers coach promoted to Defensive Coordinator, Chargers - #1 defense in 2010

In his 13 years as head coach of the Panther and now Commanders, his defenses have ranked in top 10 in 2012, 2013, 2015, 2017, 2020 and 2022, including 2nd in 2013 & 2020, and 3rd in 2022.

In all, defenses that Rivera coached teams have ranked in the top 10 in defense 13 times in 24 years as either a position coach, defensive coordinator or head coach.

Eddie

Reaction score
What's the difference ? How many HC's have we had ? Same result decade in and decade out.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
It would be nice to have someone committed to being a coordinator, this constant turnover is BS.
Good coordinators know that if HC goes badly, someone will hire them back as a coordinator. Pretty low risk actually