CFZ If Quinn leave, Cowboys should hire Ron Rivera as DC, and Eberflus as LB coach

SloMo_Joe

Reaction score
Hell no to Rivera at DC he's done nothing since Carolina and he had that stacked Commanders front full of 1st rounders.....

I don't want Eberflus either. If Quinn leaves give Al Harris a shot.
You damn skippy. I would take AH over those guys 6 days a week and twice on Sundays.
I think he is the most underrated coach on the DC staff.

exciter

Reaction score
Hell no. I want someone from the 49ers defensive tree. You see the success in those defenses with Robert Saleh and DeMeco Ryans.
And this defense hasn’t been successful? San Frans zone scheme is heavily reliant on being able to create pressure with a straight up beat your man rush and 2 of the top 5 coverage LBs in the league. We’ve torched several teams this year running the scheme because being able to acquire the players capable of doing both consistently is like hunting for unicorns.

We’ve invested heavily in corners who excel in man coverage, including paying one an exorbitant sum. Why would you want to limit those player’s effectiveness playing them in zone scheme and when our pass rush relies on scheme and our LBs are below average at best?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Hell no. I want someone from the 49ers defensive tree. You see the success in those defenses with Robert Saleh and DeMeco Ryans.
Saleh and Demeco's defenses don't sniff those 49ers defenses. IT helps when you have Fred Warner, Greenlaw, Bosa, etc.

Cmac

Reaction score
I'm in the DMV, Ron Rivera's defense is bad. Let him go in the booth when the cord is cut soon.

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
This is the criticism of schemes like this and the one run in Indianapolis
Exactly, thats why they fold in December outside a dome and in the playoffs.

Give me some hard nose big linemen and good LBs that can stop the run, regular season wins mean nothing if you get kicked out every year in the divisional round.

Reaction score
Good coordinators know that if HC goes badly, someone will hire them back as a coordinator. Pretty low risk actually
Right, that's a good time to snatch them up, after the HC goes badly they come back and focus on what they excel at. The lack of continuity often comes with a transition year(s), personnel needs changing, etc.Someone like Dom Capers, Dick LaBeau,,, that would be great.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Our ship has sprung a major leak on D, and that last thing we need to glue it together is Titanic Ron. Not even Leonardo DiCaprio could help it stay afloat

Tarheelcowboy

Reaction score
Some guys get multiple shots at being a head coach in the NFL, but their niche is actually being a offensive or defensive coordinator. A couple of examples come to mind.
  1. Josh McDaniel proved to be a good offensive coordinator, but has flamed out twice as a head coach, first in Denver, and this year in Las Vegas. The players won't accept him trying to emulate the disciplinary approach of Bill Belichick.
  2. Wade Phillips has had multiple shots at being head coach in Denver, Buffalo, and Dallas, and interim head coach in New Orleans, Atlanta and Houston. But his forte was being an excellent defensive coordinator. He won a Super Bowl ring with the Broncos as a defensive coordinator in Super Bowl 50. The reason he kept getting opportunities to be a head coach was his stellar record as a defensive coordinator. He returned to the Super Bowl with the Rams against the Tom Brady led Patriots as a coordinator and his defense held the Patriots to only 13 points in a 13-3 loss with Jared Goff as QB of the Rams.
Now let's talk about Dan Quinn and Ron Rivera. Both of them have taken teams to the Super Bowl as head coaches in Atlanta and Carolina. But both lost to HOF QB's in Brady and Peyton Manning, although the Carolina loss was really a defensive win by the Broncos. So, unlike McDaniel and Phillips, both have shown they can be successful as head coaches in the NFL in a way neither McDaniels or Phillips ever did. But it is unlikely that when the Commanders fire Ron Rivera at the end of this season that another team is going to hire Rivera immediately as their next head coach. On the other hand, Dan Quinn may be the hottest head coaching candidate on the market in 2024.

McCarthy, who has earned a contract extension, has shown the humility to be able to work with former head coaches, and his ego doesn't require him to be overly dominant - as he showed by allowing Kellen Moore to remain as OC, even though circumstances have shown that McCarthy is better at being the play caller than Moore has been. It would be interesting to see Ron Rivera bring some of the "Buddy Ryan, 46-defense" philosophy that the 1985 Bears used to be one of the most dominant defenses in NFL history. It might also result in getting some better coaching for the linebackers, and perhaps some better talent evaluation for the linebacker spot.

Going into the next draft, the priorities have to be Defensive Tackle and Linebacker on defense for the Cowboys. The Cowboys are well set up in the defensive backfield, and with pass rushers. Getting a guy like Rivera, someone who has been successful as a player, coordinator and head coach, would potentially set the Cowboys up for success, if Dan Quinn chooses to take advantage of what many believe will be multiple opportunities to become a head coach again in the NFL. Potentially, bringing back Matt Eberflus as DC, who has flamed out as a head coach in Chicago, is another option, if Chicago jumps at Ron Rivera coming home to be head coach of the Bears. Or, the Cowboys could bring in both Rivera and Eberflus as the DC and linebackers coach.
NOOO

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Eberflus as DC would be fine, but nobody is going to hire DQ to be a head coach.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Let me see if i get this.

HEY GUYS A PERSON DID SOMETHING AWESOME 1 TIME, LETS HIRE THEM.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t care who the next DC is going to be. I just hope they will fix the run defense.

RoboQB

Reaction score
"Hell No!" I don't want Ron Riviera anywhere near this team.
He's a divisive piece of garbage. He'd ruin the locker room within a year.

HanD

Reaction score
The other guy mentioned,.don't know him to well.
elberflus was the lb coach here for years. He was even offered the dc job in place of marinelli but declined it due to his loyalties to rod. Dallas saw him as an ascending coach and they were right cause he moved on to success as dc with indy before his hc job now.

Praxit

Reaction score
...If DQ wanted to be HC, he would one by now.

He was the captain of Falcons for 6 yrs.

I would think thats enough tenure to know, whether you want that atmosphere again.

I look at MM sometimes. The guy looks stressed, under duress.

Its not easy being HC for any team. People now, want Super Bowls the next year.