If the Brass were smart they would follow the GB model

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
If you are going to lose your players to FA, you might as well trade them when you can. Or, if you plan on letting them play out their contracts and leave, then trade them the year before and get something in return.

I have no problem trading anyone, as long as we get the right value in return. I do not want to see another Amari Cooper deal. If they can't sign Dak for a reasonable contract and the plan is to let him go next year then force a trade now and get a couple of 1st round picks for him. This is how the Lions ascended. The Eagles before them. The same thing with CeeDee. if he is unwilling to sign an extension, it means he is leaving. Trade him now and get a first round pick for him.
Totally agree. I want to trade everyone - Dak, Lamb and Parsons. We ain't going anywhere with what we have now and we have many holes to fill. It's ok to be in the bottom for a few years and start building a true championship team. We ain't doing that with what we got now.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The Brass has always been enamored by the previous successes of teams we have lost to in the playoffs. They try and emulate what they are doing/done.

So with that I bring you the GB Packers. Traded their All Star QB, that they never got him weapons for because of his cost. Remember him being pissed when they picked Love in the late 1st round instead of a WR?

Now fast forward to now and look where they are. When you trade star players you reap the rewards in the draft. In 2022 they trade Davante Adams for a 1st and 2nd round picks. Than in 2023 got a 1st, 2nd, and a sixth for trading Rogers to the Jets.

Adams signed a 5 year deal for $140 million with LV. Rogers the next season signed a 3 year deal for $150.8 million with the Jets.

Now they are the youngest team and football and look like a contender. They did all of that in two years.

If only our Brass were smart enough……
What GB did was pay Rodgers then trade him rather than let him hit Free Agency.
I think that's what most people expected Dallas to do as well.
Pay him the crazy money, give him the one year then trade him or make him ride pine if it went south.
He fussed and complained and they kept him like 3 years and signed him to a short 60M AAV extension.

GB Drafted Love then gave Rodgers insane money anyway to placate him for a season
Let Love develop and forced the Jets to give up two 2nd round picks and a couple spots in R1.
Dallas would be in line to receive only an R3 comp pick at about pick 95 if Dak leaves in free agency.

Aven8

Reaction score
What GB did was pay Rodgers then trade him rather than let him hit Free Agency.
I think that's what most people expected Dallas to do as well.
Pay him the crazy money, give him the one year then trade him or make him ride pine if it went south.
He fussed and complained and they kept him like 3 years and signed him to a short 60M AAV extension.

GB Drafted Love then gave Rodgers insane money anyway to placate him for a season
Let Love develop and forced the Jets to give up two 2nd round picks and a couple spots in R1.
Dallas would be in line to receive only an R3 comp pick at about pick 95 if Dak leaves in free agency.
Rogers won back to back MVP’s and tops seeds. I don’t think they expected that.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to pay either but if I have to pay one it would be Jordan Love because he is more of an unknown than Dak at this point which means he potentially has a higher ceiling.
This might be the wildest thing posted on this forum this week.

Dak's known peak got 2nd in MVP voting and has made the playoffs 5 times in 8 seasons. He's been .500 or better every year of his career except the year he broke his leg after 5 games.

Odds of Love hitting that peak are insanely low.
He is .500 for his career entering year 4.
He's never won a division or made a pro bowl.
To be clear to match Dak he'd need to make the playoffs every year of the next 4, make 3 All Pro teams and finish in the MVP voting twice.
Still like those odds???

If you don't want to pay Dak 60M AAV you definitely shouldn't want to pay a kid QB who has done nothing 50M.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dak finishing 2nd in MVP voting this year was a surprise but AR was a constant MVP contender, if not favorite behind Brady and a surefire first ballot HOFer. --seemingly all at Minny and Dallas' expense???
I think they simply hedged their bets because he was pain in the butt off the field and to the front office.
It worked out for them because they got a decent return for an injured guy his age even with HOF status,

It is a tough call for Dallas to make here to be sure but getting nothing but an R3 comp pick while eating 100M over 2 years is a tough pill to swallow.
I do not think Dak is worth 60M AAV; but I also think fans are goofy in what they think he is worth and how much they want to heap on him for the losses.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
This might be the wildest thing posted on this forum this week.

Dak's known peak got 2nd in MVP voting and has made the playoffs 5 times in 8 seasons. He's been .500 or better every year of his career except the year he broke his leg after 5 games.

Odds of Love hitting that peak are insanely low.
He is .500 for his career entering year 4.
He's never won a division or made a pro bowl.
To be clear to match Dak he'd need to make the playoffs every year of the next 4, make 3 All Pro teams and finish in the MVP voting twice.
Still like those odds???

If you don't want to pay Dak 60M AAV you definitely shouldn't want to pay a kid QB who has done nothing 50M.
I wouldn’t want to pay either. I pick Jordan Love over Dak Prescott based solely on age. Dak Prescott has had a far better career than Jordan Love. The bar is high. Love at least has a shot to do better. He only needs one more playoff win to tie Prescott in playoff wins. Then again, Love may have flashed this year and is done. RGIII knows something about that.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He sure did and yet they were still tired of his attitude enough to follow through with their plan. But the main thing was they had a guy they thought they can win with.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
The Brass has always been enamored by the previous successes of teams we have lost to in the playoffs. They try and emulate what they are doing/done.

So with that I bring you the GB Packers. Traded their All Star QB, that they never got him weapons for because of his cost. Remember him being pissed when they picked Love in the late 1st round instead of a WR?

Now fast forward to now and look where they are. When you trade star players you reap the rewards in the draft. In 2022 they trade Davante Adams for a 1st and 2nd round picks. Than in 2023 got a 1st, 2nd, and a sixth for trading Rogers to the Jets.

Adams signed a 5 year deal for $140 million with LV. Rogers the next season signed a 3 year deal for $150.8 million with the Jets.

Now they are the youngest team and football and look like a contender. They did all of that in two years.

If only our Brass were smart enough……
Had the Packers gone up against anybody else in their 1st rd game they would have gotten beaten, but they lucked out and got Prescot and the Cowboys.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I believe they are trying to use the GB model. Look at the purge right now. Its a massive youth movement outside of Kendricks. Only problem with it is they aren't taking it all the way. They are being too cute in the way they are doing it. Can't rip the band aid off a little bit, gotta do it all the way quickly. Grab a fresh bandaid then and start new. For better or worse, it should be done that way.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Had the Packers gone up against anybody else in their 1st rd game they would have gotten beaten, but they lucked out and got Prescot and the Cowboys.
Wonder how many of our players had hangovers or no sleep from celebrating the night before? Thats how we played.

Aven8

Reaction score
Dak finishing 2nd in MVP voting this year was a surprise but AR was a constant MVP contender, if not favorite behind Brady and a surefire first ballot HOFer. --seemingly all at Minny and Dallas' expense???
I think they simply hedged their bets because he was pain in the butt off the field and to the front office.
It worked out for them because they got a decent return for an injured guy his age even with HOF status,

It is a tough call for Dallas to make here to be sure but getting nothing but an R3 comp pick while eating 100M over 2 years is a tough pill to swallow.
I do not think Dak is worth 60M AAV; but I also think fans are goofy in what they think he is worth and how much they want to heap on him for the losses.
I’m not ready for QB purgatory at all. Having said that if they are not going to resign Dak get something for him now. Don’t lose him like you have so many players through a release/FA etc. Now he would have to agree to that but it’s worth a shot.

Creeper

Reaction score
Totally agree. I want to trade everyone - Dak, Lamb and Parsons. We ain't going anywhere with what we have now and we have many holes to fill. It's ok to be in the bottom for a few years and start building a true championship team. We ain't doing that with what we got now.
I am not in favor of trading everyone. I would only trade star players if I thought I had no chance to re-sign them, or if I thought their contract demands were detrimental to the team. My point was only that I prefer to trade them rather than letting them go for nothing.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is a year of game film on Love and the GB offense. DC's will figure out the tendencies and play, and his strength and weaknesses.
We will see how they do in year 2 with him.

Would I rather have Love or Dak based on that playoff game. Love obviously.
However, our defense did lay a huge egg, as his performance was due to that more so than him, possibly. Just bringing that up as an outlier factor.

Dak laid a bigger egg for us though.

perrykemp

Reaction score
In the second half of the season after Love figured it out, the Packers beat the Lions @ Detroit and beat the Chiefs. Obviously beat the Cowboys and took the 49ers to the wire @ San Fran. That doesn't feel like luck to me.