If the Brass were smart they would follow the GB model

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
the GB model? lol... it is hilarious how people are so enamored with other teams. GB had one of the greatest QBs to ever play and managed to make 1 SB appearance with him, and you want us to follow their model for success? uhm, no thanks.
Thee didn't just have a "SB appearance"...they won a SB. Nice gloss over there.

So you think k it's crazy that we should try to learn from GB, that has one Championship this century, and lots of NFC Championship Game appearances....when we haven't even been to a single NFC CG much less a SB? Detroit, the Carsinals, and the Jets have had more playoff success this century than we have. Each has either been to a Championship Game and/or a SuperBowl.

Like....HaHa@ GreenBay, what a bunch of lovers, we're better off just sticking to our plan??????

LOL. GB only won 1 Championship this century. THEY SUCK!!!!!

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
The Brass has always been enamored by the previous successes of teams we have lost to in the playoffs. They try and emulate what they are doing/done.

So with that I bring you the GB Packers. Traded their All Star QB, that they never got him weapons for because of his cost. Remember him being pissed when they picked Love in the late 1st round instead of a WR?

Now fast forward to now and look where they are. When you trade star players you reap the rewards in the draft. In 2022 they trade Davante Adams for a 1st and 2nd round picks. Than in 2023 got a 1st, 2nd, and a sixth for trading Rogers to the Jets.

Adams signed a 5 year deal for $140 million with LV. Rogers the next season signed a 3 year deal for $150.8 million with the Jets.

Now they are the youngest team and football and look like a contender. They did all of that in two years.

If only our Brass were smart enough……
The Pack didn't really get a "1st , 2nd, and 6th for Rogers"

They SWAPPED their 1st rd pick with the Jets, which only bumped them up 2 spots. Also, yes they got a 6th, but the Jets got a 5th...so actually the Jets won on that swap.

Essentially if you cancel out moving up 2 spots in Rd1, and swapping a 5th for a 6th, the Packers Essentially got a single 2nd round pick for Roger's, a HOF QB.

Maybe we could get a single 3rd, or more likely a 4th rounder for our non-HOF'er.

blueblood70

Reaction score
What GB did was pay Rodgers then trade him rather than let him hit Free Agency.
I think that's what most people expected Dallas to do as well.
Pay him the crazy money, give him the one year then trade him or make him ride pine if it went south.
He fussed and complained and they kept him like 3 years and signed him to a short 60M AAV extension.

GB Drafted Love then gave Rodgers insane money anyway to placate him for a season
Let Love develop and forced the Jets to give up two 2nd round picks and a couple spots in R1.
Dallas would be in line to receive only an R3 comp pick at about pick 95 if Dak leaves in free agency.
First of all I'm not even gonna reread this whole entire thread but since I came across yours last, easy to read...

you do realize that the Packers way is to keep a quarterback for 17 to 19 years pay them multiple big contracts and only get one Super Bowl out of it each time..

so with that premise, we should pay Prescott wait till he wins a Super Bowl then pay him again and then trade him because that's the Packer way... just because they happen to have these guys on the bench waiting they kept their quarterbacks for a very long time, that'd be more than twice as long as Prescott's been with the Cowboys before they traded him and it still had to be approved Aaron Rodgers had to agree to the trade..

A lot of things have to align when you do something like this...

So Brett farve played 18 years and Rogers played 17 both got huge contracts both only have one championship each, so we should do that​
so Prescott's got eight or nine more years and a couple more contracts and hopefully there will be a Super Bowl in between there..​
which by the way for some other people, I don't know that didn't give up on their quarterback like Peyton Manning was three and six in the playoffs was well paid and finally in year nine he won a Super Bowl just think about if they would have got rid of him sooner...​

So everyone's entitled to their opinion but some of these are the dumbest most insane post I've ever seen and this place gets crazy but this year after that Packers loss was ridiculous how we're supposed to copy that so yeah we should copy that we should get lucky which by the way Jordan love there's no evidence yet to this point that he's gonna have a long illustrious career and win a Super Bowl so can we calm down on like crowning this guy some achievement by the Packers him replacing Aaron Rodgers until he does something more than Aaron Rodgers... What he did last year could be a fluke you know like Nick Foles, he did that.. Even Blake Bortles get to it AFC championship game ,we've seen lesser quarterbacks get to or win Super Bowls this is a team game and we're continually talking about the quarterbacks.... So what Jordan love did last year was not that impressive at all for a guy who waited three years on the bench learning versus say Prescott who was rookie of the year and was thrust into his role that he wasn't even drafted to be the starter that year... So somehow Jordan love is somehow this elite great anointed quarterback now because he replaced the guy was on a team for 17 years and only won one Super Bowl..

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Green Bay is going to have to pay Jordan Love based on 7 good games.
You do know they are working on an extension for Love thinking they can get him for around 50 million a year.
In a heartbeat.
They've had 4 years to watch him develop.
Would you take Jordan love over Dak prescott?
Rookie Seasons:

Jordan Love: 62 pass attempts, 68.7 Passer Rating.

Trey Lance: 71 pass attempts, 97.3 Passer Rating

DandyDon52

Reaction score
You do know they are working on an extension for Love thinking they can get him for around 50 million a year.
wonder if they have an out built in ? will he have a no trade clause?
I dont think I would pay any qb 50 mil or more a year.
I would rather have a ok QB who is cheap, and a good defense and OL .

ICP

Reaction score
Hmmm, the phrase "If they were smart' should tell you enough to know that it will never happen.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Thee didn't just have a "SB appearance"...they won a SB. Nice gloss over there.

So you think k it's crazy that we should try to learn from GB, that has one Championship this century, and lots of NFC Championship Game appearances....when we haven't even been to a single NFC CG much less a SB? Detroit, the Carsinals, and the Jets have had more playoff success this century than we have. Each has either been to a Championship Game and/or a SuperBowl.

Like....HaHa@ GreenBay, what a bunch of lovers, we're better off just sticking to our plan??????

LOL. GB only won 1 Championship this century. THEY SUCK!!!!!
Gb lucked out in the QB lottery. Yay for them. That is exactly what it is.... a lucky lottery. Some hit it (houston) others strike out in back to back years with a top 5 pick(Cardinals).

Thats it... the GB front offic eis no better. You telling me if Dallas had Rodgers we wouldnt have been in a SB or more????

plasticman

Reaction score
Have a Hall of Fame QB for 30 consecutive seasons?

I hope you are not talking about last season. They should model themselves after a 9-8 team? Any team could have defeated the Cowboys in the playoffs last season. The Cowboys were totally unprepared strategically, mentally, psychologically, and physically. They were outcoached, outhustled, and outplayed.

DZSierra

Reaction score
If the brass were smart...

You could have stopped right there:)

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The Brass has always been enamored by the previous successes of teams we have lost to in the playoffs. They try and emulate what they are doing/done.

So with that I bring you the GB Packers. Traded their All Star QB, that they never got him weapons for because of his cost. Remember him being pissed when they picked Love in the late 1st round instead of a WR?

Now fast forward to now and look where they are. When you trade star players you reap the rewards in the draft. In 2022 they trade Davante Adams for a 1st and 2nd round picks. Than in 2023 got a 1st, 2nd, and a sixth for trading Rogers to the Jets.

Adams signed a 5 year deal for $140 million with LV. Rogers the next season signed a 3 year deal for $150.8 million with the Jets.

Now they are the youngest team and football and look like a contender. They did all of that in two years.

If only our Brass were smart enough……
What GB did was stupid. They wasted a first round pick on a QB when they had Rodger’s. Now that’s not as criminal but the criminal part was they sat him and wasted his rookie contract backing up Aaron.

If they were smart they would not follow this formula as it’s resulted in nothing but a first round exit.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Have a Hall of Fame QB for 30 consecutive seasons?

I hope you are not talking about last season. They should model themselves after a 9-8 team? Any team could have defeated the Cowboys in the playoffs last season. The Cowboys were totally unprepared strategically, mentally, psychologically, and physically. They were outcoached, outhustled, and outplayed.
It’s crazy man….GB is not a model organization at all. They are what you don’t do.

perrykemp

Reaction score
It’s crazy man….GB is not a model organization at all. They are what you don’t do.
The Packers certainly aren't the Patriots or even the Chiefs, however in the 28 years since the Cowboys last won a Superbowl the Packers have been the winningest team in the NFC (in terms of regular season wins) , been to 3 Superbowls (won 2 of them), been to 7 NFC Championship games (won 3 of them), had players win the NFL MVP 7 times, and, and have made the playoffs most of those years.

If the model/formula/goal is to consistently put your team in the playoffs so you have a chance to make something happen once you get, they've been the best in the NFC over the last 3 decades or so. How do they do it, I'd argue the formula is:
  • Bold decisions at QB and a willingness to develop QBs over extended amounts of time
  • Hiring high potential offensive coordinators, who have never been head-coaches before, as their head coaches. They don't hire retreads as their HCs. Think Holmgren, McCarthy, Lafleur
  • Emphasis on draft and develop and not typically going crazy in free agency
  • Not having an owner that forces the front0office go off-script from time-to-time
Again, agree isn't not like the Packers are consistently in the Superbowl -- they aren't. They are, however, in the NFC championship game every 4 years or so (on average) which is batting way above average.

Having said all that, I'm not necessarily saying the Cowboys should execute the 4 bullets above as such magic formula for success, I don't think it's that easy.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The Packers certainly aren't the Patriots or even the Chiefs, however in the 28 years since the Cowboys last won a Superbowl the Packers have been the winningest team in the NFC (in terms of regular season wins) , been to 3 Superbowls (won 2 of them), been to 7 NFC Championship games (won 3 of them), had players win the NFL MVP 7 times, and, and have made the playoffs most of those years.

If the model/formula/goal is to consistently put your team in the playoffs so you have a chance to make something happen once you get, they've been the best in the NFC over the last 3 decades or so. How do they do it, I'd argue the formula is:
  • Bold decisions at QB and a willingness to develop QBs over extended amounts of time
  • Hiring high potential offensive coordinators, who have never been head-coaches before, as their head coaches. They don't hire retreads as their HCs. Think Holmgren, McCarthy, Lafleur
  • Emphasis on draft and develop and not typically going crazy in free agency
  • Not having an owner that forces the front0office go off-script from time-to-time
Again, agree isn't not like the Packers are consistently in the Superbowl -- they aren't. They are, however, in the NFC championship game every 4 years or so (on average) which is batting way above average.

Having said all that, I'm not necessarily saying the Cowboys should execute the 4 bullets above as such magic formula for success, I don't think it's that easy.
I have no issue with the Packers. I’m just speaking on what they’ve done the last few years and they’ve been making some pitiful moves. It’s not an organization I’d try and emulate. I’m not envious or impressed they were good enough to beat the Cowboys…..

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
First of all I'm not even gonna reread this whole entire thread but since I came across yours last, easy to read...

you do realize that the Packers way is to keep a quarterback for 17 to 19 years pay them multiple big contracts and only get one Super Bowl out of it each time..

so with that premise, we should pay Prescott wait till he wins a Super Bowl then pay him again and then trade him because that's the Packer way... just because they happen to have these guys on the bench waiting they kept their quarterbacks for a very long time, that'd be more than twice as long as Prescott's been with the Cowboys before they traded him and it still had to be approved Aaron Rodgers had to agree to the trade..

A lot of things have to align when you do something like this...

So Brett farve played 18 years and Rogers played 17 both got huge contracts both only have one championship each, so we should do that​
so Prescott's got eight or nine more years and a couple more contracts and hopefully there will be a Super Bowl in between there..​
which by the way for some other people, I don't know that didn't give up on their quarterback like Peyton Manning was three and six in the playoffs was well paid and finally in year nine he won a Super Bowl just think about if they would have got rid of him sooner...​

So everyone's entitled to their opinion but some of these are the dumbest most insane post I've ever seen and this place gets crazy but this year after that Packers loss was ridiculous how we're supposed to copy that so yeah we should copy that we should get lucky which by the way Jordan love there's no evidence yet to this point that he's gonna have a long illustrious career and win a Super Bowl so can we calm down on like crowning this guy some achievement by the Packers him replacing Aaron Rodgers until he does something more than Aaron Rodgers... What he did last year could be a fluke you know like Nick Foles, he did that.. Even Blake Bortles get to it AFC championship game ,we've seen lesser quarterbacks get to or win Super Bowls this is a team game and we're continually talking about the quarterbacks.... So what Jordan love did last year was not that impressive at all for a guy who waited three years on the bench learning versus say Prescott who was rookie of the year and was thrust into his role that he wasn't even drafted to be the starter that year... So somehow Jordan love is somehow this elite great anointed quarterback now because he replaced the guy was on a team for 17 years and only won one Super Bowl..
100%. Thats ultimately what I was saying. The Packer way was extend the QB, go find one (maybe Lance??) but win if you can get rolling; later trade the expensive one.

Packers model would be pay Dak his 60M extension, BUT trade CeeDee (Adams) for draft picks to save the extra 30M in cap hits.
When Dak has had enough of the front office make him give some of that 60M AAV back to get traded to the place of his choice.
Collect more than a comp pick for his services.
Turn it over to a younger, cheaper team and a QB you already know from being in the building a while.

blueblood70

Reaction score
100%. Thats ultimately what I was saying. The Packer way was extend the QB, go find one (maybe Lance??) but win if you can get rolling; later trade the expensive one.

Packers model would be pay Dak his 60M extension, BUT trade CeeDee (Adams) for draft picks to save the extra 30M in cap hits.
When Dak has had enough of the front office make him give some of that 60M AAV back to get traded to the place of his choice.
Collect more than a comp pick for his services.
Turn it over to a younger, cheaper team and a QB you already know from being in the building a while.
Look, I get what you were saying...

I just wanted to make sure people were reading this understood if we truly did it the Packer, way we'd give Prescott 10 more years and if he won one Super Bowl in 17 years ,he'd be on their level and that would be on the Packer way...

yeah, there was some sarcasm in there because I think when you're looking at this accidental pattern which by the way too small of a sample size with Jordan love right now you literally can't really do things the same way someone else does and get it right... We literally went from Romo to Prescott a lot of it was luck the fact that Brock Purdy was taking the last pick in the draft and happened to be a starter, now that was luck because their mistake was giving three first round picks to trade up and get Trey Lance they covered up their mistake by accident...

so these are not all blueprints that teams are doing, they're getting rather lucky but I'm just telling you I know it looks good because Green Bay Packers have won a Super Bowl with their last two quarterbacks and now, they found one that looks at least reliable for now but these two Super Bowls from Brett farve and Rogers happened over a 34 years. Let that sink in!! .

people wanna get rid of Prescott in year 8 even though Peyton Manning didn't win his until year 9 and was having the same post season problems and then you want to come in and say we should do it like the Packers when the Packers just happened to fall into this,

come on be honest now there were 95 quarterbacks taken since 2016 and only one of them have won a Super Bowl...

So now you want us to go do something the league seems to have a problem doing and put a guy at #2 that has a way to be a number one when there's about 20 other teams that are struggling to even find their starter that can play at a level like Prescott but now you want us to be 2 deep??

And again I actually understand completely what you're trying to say in in a perfect world every team would have their number two in every position ready for when the next guy became too expensive or age has set in and it was time to move on but this is not a perfect world there is no real blueprint in the NFL or lots of teams would be winning Super Bowls but we all know the top 12 teams maybe have their quarterback situation locked down I mean if you wanna go to 16 we can do that but that's an awful lot of teams they can't find the number one and you're asking our front office to have a #2 sitting there that's a possibly can be the heir apparent??​

blueblood70

Reaction score
Rodgers was traded at age 39, Dak will turn 31 at the end of July.
Right he played for the Packers for 17 years Brett part far played for them for over 18 years and both of them only have one Super Bowl so we followed their blueprint and I've already said it twice we would get Prescott seven or eight more years and if he wins the Super bowl then that's the Packer way LOL I mean they held on to their quarterbacks for almost 2 full decades and then found a way to get rid of them and somehow that's supposed to be a blueprint that can't be recreated that was an accident that's just lucky and a lot of sense...

I mean like I said below,

the bottom 16 the 20 teams are struggling to find their number one quarterback and our fan base thinks it's easy to go ahead and out of that pool of quarterbacks we're supposed to have an heir apparent waiting that has the ability to step in and at least be as good or better than the guy we're trying to get rid of...

I mean how is that possible there isn't enough good quarterbacks that are coming out of college or that are learning fast enough in the NFL to be your next heir apparent because the proof is already on the field there are 16 teams at minimum that are struggling to find their top guy, but our fan base is in a hurry to get rid of ours...

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Gb lucked out in the QB lottery. Yay for them. That is exactly what it is.... a lucky lottery. Some hit it (houston) others strike out in back to back years with a top 5 pick(Cardinals).

Thats it... the GB front offic eis no better. You telling me if Dallas had Rodgers we wouldnt have been in a SB or more????
Ok....so to confirm....keep on keepin' on with the Jerruh Plan that's been implemented for last 30 years....because the only reason other teams (95% of them) have had more success than us is luck.

Just wanted to verify. Thanks.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Ok....so to confirm....keep on keepin' on with the Jerruh Plan that's been implemented for last 30 years....because the only reason other teams (95% of them) have had more success than us is luck.

Just wanted to verify. Thanks.
95%? dont know about that. But it is simple, get rid of dak and start again would need to be the plan. The rest of the players you can get.... ala KC. They didnt and havent really done much in the last few years just draft as normal.... and you will hit on solid players. just like everyone else. Ive given example after example after example of when teams got good and when they stunk when the qb arrives and leaves. Im not doing it again. Houston is the latest example of a team thats about to have a great coach and a front office that does things the right way...... hilarious.