If the choice of DC came down to Campo and Bowles...

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
fiveandcounting;1344552 said:
your thread subject line is straight out of the department of redundancy department
To be fair, it was edited by a mod.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Crown Royal;1344420 said:
Bowles. Our team would have to re-shape again to go to the 4-3. We don't have the linebackers.
We already have that problem.

Campo: I know you're tired and it's cold. I really, really need you to go in. Please?"

Bowles: Game 11 " I think I got this thing figured out. Ok guys....."

Rivera: "Great take-away fellas! Let's keep up the pressure!"

Wade: "Three and out, fellas, three and out! Outstanding Ware! What's that, 14 this year so far?"

Gibbs: " It's all smoke and mirrors. I told you I could make it work, Norv."

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
u want a FA 3-4 LB..............

TULLY BANTA-CAIN

he was a beast in the playoffs. His name was constantly being called by the announcers. He was making plays in the backfield and at the line of scrimmage.

MONT17

Reaction score
Woods;1344399 said:
Bowles, which guy would you prefer?

Let's also assume for the time being that JJ wanted to stick with the 34 going into training camp.

Bowles played for the Skins... I dont like anyone who played for the skins! and I never will...

15 years from now when you ask if Carlos Rogers will be my pick for DC... I will have the same answer!!!

CowboyJohn

Reaction score
That's like asking me how I would prefer to die, eaten by ants or burned slowly.

Thumper, that is the quote of the year....:lmao:

But sadly, it is the truth...I would take Bowles simply because he is younger and may be more aggressive and try and let the D set the tone in the game, versus Campo playing his bend and finally break in the 4th quarter defense. Remember, Campo will not have Haley, Deion, Ken Norton, Jr. or Darren Woodson to play defense....

Dwight

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1344585 said:
Please no more of the killer poodle

Thank you.

I don't even know why any one would want Campo back. He only did okay as a Defensive Coordinator because of Lett, Woodson, and Deon.

He could not develop talent and he couldn't develop a pass rush. Why would any cowboy fan would want him back is very questionable.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
I'm not going to play this game......I want Rivera. :cool:

But I would take Bowles if I had no other choice.

I don't consider Campo a choice.

superpunk

Reaction score
Woods;1344399 said:
Bowles, which guy would you prefer?

Let's also assume for the time being that JJ wanted to stick with the 34 going into training camp.
Bowles.

Let's also assume that I'm not going to stab you in the eye for even suggesting that Campo might have anything to do with the Cowboys.

Woods

Reaction score
Finally, to answer my own question . . . .

I would rather go with Bowles.

He's had experience under the 34 for several years now.

Seems as though BP feels strongly about him as well.

What I don't know is if he's aggressive (Phillips, Ryan style), or more of a bend but don't break type.

But from what I can make out with the various leaks, interviews out of Valley Ranch, etc., is that he still remains as one of the frontrunners for the DC job.

Gaede

Reaction score
superpunk;1344642 said:
Bowles.

Let's also assume that I'm not going to stab you in the eye for even suggesting that Campo might have anything to do with the Cowboys.

:laugh2:

It's a sad state of affairs where both Norv and Campo are being counted upon to get us back to the Superbowl.

:(

Aikbach

Reaction score
Don't demean Bowles he is one of the better coaches Parcells' staff boasted.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
dbair1967;1344434 said:
sure we do...Burnett could be a 4-3 LB...so could Carpenter...Ayodele was before he came here...James was a 4-3 LB in college and his 1st yr here...there's also free agency and the draft

David

More LB's in the draft and FA?

fortdick

Reaction score
Crown Royal;1344420 said:
Bowles. Our team would have to re-shape again to go to the 4-3. We don't have the linebackers.

We have the LB's for a 3-4, but not a 4-3? You need less LB's with the 4-3, and those we have are quick. Carp would be a great SOLB in a 4-3. But wait, he can't play that, only Strong MLB in a 3-4.

C'mon, quit making up stuff!

Chevyman08

Reaction score
We have the personnel to run either a 4-3 or a 3-4. Demarcus
Ware had 3 sacks in one game as a 4-3 DE. I don't think that will be an issue.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
fortdick;1344854 said:
We have the LB's for a 3-4, but not a 4-3? You need less LB's with the 4-3, and those we have are quick. Carp would be a great SOLB in a 4-3. But wait, he can't play that, only Strong MLB in a 3-4.

Campo likes SPEED LBs...ever wonder why for some time we only had one or two BIG LBs but quite a few smaller speed players?

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
fortdick;1344854 said:

See my other post Brilliant One. It isn't a matter of having enough linebackers, it's having the linebackers to fit the scheme. Burnett and Carp would be great sams, based on their size and quickness. Ayodele would be a decent MLB, I think that's what he played in TN, that or SLB. But he isn't as quick as what we are used to having at MLB in the 4-3. And we have no solution at Will - James has proven that he can't play, and after that we don't have anyone.

So I stand by it - no, we don't have the linebackers.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1345042 said:
Campo likes SPEED LBs...ever wonder why for some time we only had one or two BIG LBs but quite a few smaller speed players?

Thank you - what he said.

Also - something I was thinking about while working/driving today. I actually think that it is possible that after his injury, Greg Ellis will be better suited at LBer than DE. I think that his ability to pass rush with his reduced speed/damaged ankle will make it harder from the 3-point stance at the 7 gap than it will from 2 point at the 9 gap.