If the NFL doesn't want the Cowboys to be successful, why not?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Wasn't it a couple a years ago where holding had not been called on an opposing OL for like ~7 games. Holding happens on every play...and Dallas was the ONLY team during that stretch....where a hold was not called.

Actually it was 9 games.. and I don't even have to look.. I would bet month's salary it has never happened to another team.. unless it was the Raiders, who are the only franchise the league hates more.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The NFL is not prejudice against the Dallas Cowboys.
The Cowboys are its cash cow, pardon the pun.
If anything, the NFL wants the Cowboys to succeed and that BIG TIME!

RaZon

Reaction score
Thread for all who think the NFL and its officiating is prejudiced against the Cowboys (or not):

Why do you think the NFL wouldn't want Dallas to succeed? The Cowboys have the biggest fan base, generate the most revenue and draw the highest ratings. Wouldn't Dallas going deep in the playoffs (and a Super Bowl appearance every few years) be exactly what the league would want? It would fatten the league's pockets.

If the NFL is prejudiced, then this is claiming that the league is prejudiced against its own interests.

The NFL doesn't care about who does what, what a ridiculous idea.

What they do care about is keeping the stars healthy. that is a very legit concern.

Creeper

Reaction score
Watch the Bears game tonight? I felt sorry for them. The refs called the game very strongly in the Steelers favor. So I agree with you that the league prefers to see some teams win and we (and apparently the bears) aren’t one of them.

The officiating of the Bears game was a joke. No one is going to tell me that was not intentional. Those lined up offsides penalties were a joke. You see guys lined up in the neutral zone all the time. Usually it is their hand or part of their helmet and most times the refs let it go. Randy Gregory does it a lot and I would suggest someone talk to him about it because after last night the Falcons may talk to the refs about it before the game.

morat1959

Reaction score
Thread for all who think the NFL and its officiating is prejudiced against the Cowboys (or not):

Why do you think the NFL wouldn't want Dallas to succeed? The Cowboys have the biggest fan base, generate the most revenue and draw the highest ratings. Wouldn't Dallas going deep in the playoffs (and a Super Bowl appearance every few years) be exactly what the league would want? It would fatten the league's pockets.

If the NFL is prejudiced, then this is claiming that the league is prejudiced against its own interests.
Conspiracy theories and blaming the refs are for losers. JJ has created an atmosphere to blame everything and everybody except the root of the problem. He and he alone is the reason we haven’t won anything and won’t win anything until he’s gone.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I should also mention that you know what sells more than anything.. "Controversy." (I can hear Prince singing right now.) The league doesn't need or want the Cowboys to be in the Super Bowl every year.. in fact the rest of NFL fans got bored when the Cowboys and 49ers were taking turns winning the Super Bowl and if not for the salary cap probably would have traded Super Bowls throughout the 90's. Parity is way more profitable than dominance by any one team. And no other fan base will be glued to the telly and calling into all the radio shows when they feel their team is being screwed than the Cowboys.. If the Cowboys are just winning it all every year most of that dies down. So yes... the Cowboys are a bigger cash cow for the entire league and all the networks as an "almost had it" than they are as annual champions.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
The reason this is not a penalty is because Dak smartly steps out of the huddle while the substitutions are taking place and never reenters the huddle until it has all shaken out.. so there was never a 12th man in the huddle.

You are the second one to just ignore what I wrote. It had nothing to do with a huddle.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Actually it was 9 games.. and I don't even have to look.. I would bet month's salary it has never happened to another team.. unless it was the Raiders, who are the only franchise the league hates more.

A similar stretch happened the same damn year to the Lions. I did look it up.

And remember, that "controversy" was started by a flippin' Tweet. And the claim was that Dallas' opponents weren't called for offensive holding on passing plays only. I haven't pulled the numbers but I believe holding happens more on running plays than passing plays percentage-wise. But when folks need to believe something, everything is "proof" even if it ain't ('cause conspiracy never requires it).

Soth

Reaction score
You are mistaken again. It was Butler #19. And you just ran past everything I said when I said it had nothing to do with the huddle. Nothing. They announced the penalty wrong. It was subbing in and not participating in that play which a player MUST do if he subs in. He missed it. Coaches missed it. And a penalty was called. It's not CONSPIRACY! if our own team doesn't know the rules. They're paid to.

How do you know they called the penalty wrong? Sorry if I missed this in another post. I have never heard about this being called wrong. Do you have a link stating the refs meant to call a different penalty but announced it wrong?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
This sounds petty and ridiculous, but I think the Cowboys have gotten the short end of every "go either way" call since Jerry Jones challenged Goodell over the Zeke suspension in 2017.

I know how it sounds yet for some reason I can't convince myself that it's not true.

Silly

Reaction score
I would argue that the modern the Nfl, with the 24 hour a day sports news cycle, does promote storylines similar to what pro wrestling does. At times, it does feel like the NFL is a soap opera of sports!

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
Well, I firmly believe there is no in between with the Cowboys, you are either a fan who loves them or hate them with a passion. Not sure that means there is a league conspiracy against us but there are other teams that want the spotlight that the Cowboys have had for years, even when they are not so good, it means a lot of money.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The NFL needs full time pro officials. The game can afford it and higher quality dedicated officials will cut down on bad calls or missed calls. Its funny bc if you read other team boards, there are always people complaining about the officials or a bad call but only if their team losses.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
How do you know they called the penalty wrong? Sorry if I missed this in another post. I have never heard about this being called wrong. Do you have a link stating the refs meant to call a different penalty but announced it wrong?

Firstly, here is the rule I pulled from the 2016 Rule Book when I was debating it at the time (red highlight).

ARTICLE 8. PENALTIES FOR ILLEGAL SUBSTITUTION OR WITHDRAWAL. Penalties are:
(a) For 12 or more players in the offensive huddle (whistle blown immediately and ball remains dead): Loss of five yards from
the succeeding spot.
(b) For a substitute entering the field during a live ball: Loss of five yards.
(c) For interference with the play by a substitute who enters the field during a live ball: Palpably unfair act. See 12-3-3.
(d) For an offensive substitute who does not move onto the field as far as the inside of the field numerals: Loss of five yards
from the previous spot.

(e) For an offensive substitute who moves onto the field inside the field numerals and leaves without participating in one play:
Unsportsmanlike Conduct. See 5-2-5 Note.

(f) For a withdrawn player clearing the field on the opponents’ side or across an end line: Loss of five yards from the previous
spot.
(g) For illegal return of a suspended player: Loss of five yards from the previous spot if discovery is made while the ball is in
play, or five yards from the succeeding spot if discovered between downs, in which case the ball remains dead.
(h) For return of a disqualified player: Loss of 15 yards from the previous spot if discovery is made while the ball is in play, or
15 yards from the succeeding spot if discovered between downs, in which case the ball remains dead, and, in either case,
exclusion from the playing field enclosure.
Note: If the illegal return of a player is not discovered until the end of a down, but prior to the start of the next one,
enforcement is from the previous spot when definitely known. Otherwise, enforcement is from the succeeding spot as a
foul between downs. See 14-4-9.

Second, here is a Tweet from Mike Pereira during the game as people asked why there was a flag and the NFL later citing the rule I posted above..

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I thought I posted it earlier but was having a little trouble with it. It is below again but also with a Tweet right after that shows it. My version goes a little longer and shows a ref from the bottom right come into the screen and motion to the Line Judge as if he saw what Butler just did.

Butler-Huddle1.gif

I guess my issue with this is.....are they huddling?

Of course they will eventually huddle...but they had not huddled. And the spirit of the rule was not CLOSE to being violated. I just find this to be nonsense!

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I guess my issue with this is.....are they huddling?

Of course they will eventually huddle...but they had not huddled. And the spirit of the rule was not CLOSE to being violated. I just find this to be nonsense!

Again, nothing ..... to ..... do ..... with ..... a ..... huddle.

He came in to sub for another player and didn't participate in the play which he HAD to do by the rules. I don't blame the player. The freakin' coaches didn't even know the rule and could have called a timeout to get out of it but didn't.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The NFL is the owners of the 32 teams. There are enough of the owners that don't like Jerry that can sway favor Jerry in the league. Jerry wields a good amount of influence for one man but it doesn't compare to the influence of the other owners when they combine forces.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Anyone that believes that is a total and complete moron.