If there's an obscure penalty that hasn't been called in 15 years

Soth

Reaction score
Y'all can stop reading after that. Of course I'm right. Actual rules and actual video saved this thread at least 12 more pages. You're welcome and Merry Christmas.

The problem with these obscure penalties is not whether the officials applied the rule correctly or “to the letter.” The issue is that they don’t do it consistently.

Here are some examples:
1. Huddle penalty on Sam Hurd against GB during the playoffs - This is a penalty that had been called once in a decade I believe. And I think the consensus now is that it was called incorrectly. You can argue all day about this call, but it is hard for me to believe that this has only happened twice in a decade.
2. Zeke helmet penalty - I understand this was the first time this penalty was called ALL year. I don’t buy that Zeke was the only player to lower his helmet on a play all year. How many tackles have taken place all year?
3. Long snapper penalty on Ladoceur - The guy has been doing this for over a decade, same movements, and suddenly it is a penalty?? How many times has this been called? Again, even if the rule says something, if they don’t call it for years then it is BS to call it on the Cowboys. The rules should be the SAME for all teams. I don’t buy that we have the only long snapper to do this in the league.
4. Defensive delay of game - I believe someone else said that this was the first time it was called this year, and it has been called 2-4 times per year. I mean, how many players switch gaps every game? Are you telling me DLaw is the only one to do it “abruptly”?

Fine, apply the rule to the Cowboys, but apply it consistently to all teams. We are talking about 4 examples I just thought of right now in which the cowboys were called on penalties that are almost never called on anyone else. I guess we just have bad luck?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The problem with these obscure penalties is not whether the officials applied the rule correctly or “to the letter.” The issue is that they don’t do it consistently.

Here are some examples:
1. Huddle penalty on Sam Hurd against GB during the playoffs - This is a penalty that had been called once in a decade I believe. And I think the consensus now is that it was called incorrectly. You can argue all day about this call, but it is hard for me to believe that this has only happened twice in a decade.
2. Zeke helmet penalty - I understand this was the first time this penalty was called ALL year. I don’t buy that Zeke was the only player to lower his helmet on a play all year. How many tackles have taken place all year?
3. Long snapper penalty on Ladoceur - The guy has been doing this for over a decade, same movements, and suddenly it is a penalty?? How many times has this been called? Again, even if the rule says something, if they don’t call it for years then it is BS to call it on the Cowboys. The rules should be the SAME for all teams. I don’t buy that we have the only long snapper to do this in the league.
4. Defensive delay of game - I believe someone else said that this was the first time it was called this year, and it has been called 2-4 times per year. I mean, how many players switch gaps every game? Are you telling me DLaw is the only one to do it “abruptly”?

Fine, apply the rule to the Cowboys, but apply it consistently to all teams. We are talking about 4 examples I just thought of right now in which the cowboys were called on penalties that are almost never called on anyone else. I guess we just have bad luck?

Exactly right! If they're going to be making some of these calls, then they need to be done consistently.

MarcusRock

Reaction score

And who has watched every game to properly judge if they make calls consistently? The problem with fans is they think because something happens infrequently means it can never be called on us (even if it's correct) or else it's a CONSPIRACY! That's victim mentality.

Here are some examples:

Wrong. See my point above. Don't know what "consensus" you're talking about but maybe you mean Cowboys fans only. The NFL explained the call and I remember explaining it even before they did. It was Butler and it wasn't 12 men in the huddle like the official stated on the field, it was because he had gone beyond the numbers and didn't participate in a play. The rulebook trumps emotions. If anyone can explain why that's wrong I'd like to see it.

Again, wrong. It was the first time it was called on a RB a year. Zeke wasn't the only one who lowered his head but he also lined up the DB, ran back to him, and then aimed his head down at him to spear him. It was clear targeting and easy to see on the video I posted. Again, you can't subscribe to the "rarity = immunity" defense.

This one is weird, I'll give you that but from what I saw written, Washington had approached the officials about that motion. If they agreed it was a penalty then I have to think that they also warned Loduceur as well since they do that for players in the neutral zone before calling it. Maybe they did, but not sure so I can't say for certain.

You ever seen anyone head fake left to move the opposite direction before? I haven't. And maybe this is the first guy to jump in reaction, like the Loduceur penalty. It's not a penalty if they don't jump.

apply the rule to the Cowboys, but apply it consistently to all teams. We are talking about 4 examples I just thought of right now in which the cowboys were called on penalties that are almost never called on anyone else. I guess we just have bad luck?

People can say they want a fairly called game but can't say don't call rarely called penalties at the same time. Is it fair not to call them?

ThreeandOut

Reaction score

Here are some examples:

You combine that with the Cowboys consistently being at the bottom of the league in opponent penalties.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Here are some examples:

nfl better be careful looks like collusion...

Kaiser

Reaction score
You ever seen anyone head fake left to move the opposite direction before? I haven't.

You have said you don't watch any other team's games, so how is that a valid argument? You only wait for these threads so you can nitpick the posts of others and claim victory. The non-call on holding against Damien Wilson is Exhibit A.

Kaiser

Reaction score
People can say they want a fairly called game but can't say don't call rarely called penalties at the same time. Is it fair not to call them?

You can call a penalty on almost every play in every game. Is it fair to pick and choose? Did Mike Evans repeatedly push off yesterday? Were there any non-calls for holding on either team yesterday?

Last edited:

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Just ask this question. How many times a game do you see. Are lower his head into a defender? Probably 15 time s a game. Have you seen that called on a rb before zeke? No? I didn’t think so. Have you seen it called since zeke?

How bout the call against Hurd for coming on field and leaving field and not being in the play in playoffs against gb. Seen it before that? Have you seen it since?

Ring Leader

Reaction score
I'm waiting for....

-the use of an illegal number on the D-line Reid #51

-Randy Gregory....too high an SAT score.

-Tyron Smith illegal use of eqiupement...using too big a brace on arm.

-LVE unsportsman like conduct.....making too many tackles.

-Unsportsman like conduct on the Hot Boyz...Too many club members.

-Personal foul...Jason Garrett...(clapping) too loud

-Illegal use of cell phone...spying

-A 'Palpably Unfair Act' penalty on Jeff Heath. To my knowledge, it has never been called in the NFL (in college, on more than one occasion). It allows the Referee, in his judgement, to mark off any such yardage that seems equitable, expel the offending player(s)/coach(es), and/or award points (TD or FG). The Referee is required to confer with his entire crew before enforcing this penalty.

-Dead-ball foul vs Elliott. Using an invisble prop

Let's not get ridiculous.

mmohican29

Reaction score
But people said Pereira was a hack when he called the Dez play not a catch, lol. People want to appeal to authority when it's convenient instead of looking at what actually happened.

You're only paying attention to what the broadcasters said. Troy and Joe had no idea what the rule was. They were talking about Lawrence pointing which was after what the play was actually about, which was Lawrence's abrupt motion causing the TE to flinch. You simply can't do that by the rule. And that happened with 1 second left on the play clock which is why I showed the video with the clocks. You don't think Lawrence's motion was abrupt when does a head fake one way but moves the other way?

He is a hack. But he no longer works for the league, and neither does Blandino. I've often wondered if Blandino regrets that decision in the Packers game and probably feels some guilt over it. He left the league a few years after amidst all of the catch change rules, and I think he is aware of the anti-Dallas bias across the board. It's fun to personally put the screws to a team you don't like and earn brownie points with your boss (Goodell), but it comes at a cost to your character when you realize how egregious an error it was and you're a laughing stock and hated for it. I think Pereira is of the same mindset to a degree.

Everytime Buck cried to Blandino for a consultation or Pereira now in the middle of a Dallas game, they almost sigh before carefully breaking down the play objectively as they can.

Those two individuals know we get screwed alot. I promise you that. And I think they're both tired of carrying the flag for the NFL.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Normal movement if you hop over or just move over, not twitch one way and then move another abruptly. Otherwise, defenders can make twitchy moves like that all the time and claim they were just moving over. It's been a rule for a long time. The only ones claiming it's obscure do so for convenience sake.

I think whatever it is you're sitting on is also twitching and causing your brain to misinterpret common DL line movement and pointing out an OL who moved because he probably knew the playclock had expired. Nevermind that the player flagged is one of the top DL position players in the entire NFL. Have you seen this crap called on Aaron Donald or JJ Watt EVER?

mmohican29

Reaction score
Talking of penalties. Love how a guy grabs Zeke's face mask, turns his head and no call? He had the ball, one of those donkey officials had to see it.

Beasley too suffered at least one other egregious facemask in this game. Multiple hands to the face non-calls and holds on the DL throughout as well. The play where Gregory drilled Winston on the long completion: I think DLaw is bearhugged and tackled with his back to his blocker.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You have said you don't watch any other team's games, so how is that a valid argument? You only wait for these threads so you can nitpick the posts of others and claim victory. The non-call on holding against Damien Wilson is Exhibit A.

People say these things "happen in every game" so I gather that means Cowboys games too. I have most of this year's games on file so as long as someone can quote a case where something has happened, I'm happy to grab the clip and present it here especially if they know when in the game it happened because I'm not going to watch an entire game and hope to "notice" something. But what typically happens is people make these "it happens everywhere" statements but never have a specific case one can research. It stays general and hazy, much like just about all CONSPIRACY! claims. Convenient.

mmohican29

Reaction score

Here are some examples:

It was Brice Butler in the GB game. Hurd's been locked up for years now.

Good list though!

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You can call a penalty on almost every play in every game. Is it fair to pick and choose? Did Mike Evans repeatedly push off yesterday? Were there any non-calls for holding on either team yesterday?

How do you know it's picking and choosing and not just officials missing calls because there's not enough of them to monitor everything? We get some calls and we get some calls against us too. They didn't call Awuzie for grabbing Evans' jersey in the back, they called a bad block in the back on Winston on a big running play. When those aren't reviewable there WILL be misses. Why do people go straight to throwing a tantrum about how the world is out to get them when it's obvious that penalties get missed all over the place?

Last edited:

MarcusRock

Reaction score
He is a hack. But he no longer works for the league, and neither does Blandino. I've often wondered if Blandino regrets that decision in the Packers game and probably feels some guilt over it. He left the league a few years after amidst all of the catch change rules, and I think he is aware of the anti-Dallas bias across the board. It's fun to personally put the screws to a team you don't like and earn brownie points with your boss (Goodell), but it comes at a cost to your character when you realize how egregious an error it was and you're a laughing stock and hated for it. I think Pereira is of the same mindset to a degree.

Everytime Buck cried to Blandino for a consultation or Pereira now in the middle of a Dallas game, they almost sigh before carefully breaking down the play objectively as they can.

Those two individuals know we get screwed alot. I promise you that. And I think they're both tired of carrying the flag for the NFL.

?

Okay.