If there's an obscure penalty that hasn't been called in 15 years

MarcusRock

Reaction score
My guess is that the twitch was to make sure that he was still onside. I could be wrong, but that's what I thought he was doing there, so, again, that wouldn't be abnormal.

If he was onside when he was initially set, he's guaranteed to be onside by shifting straight to the right. No need to move your head left if your destination is to the right.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Abrupt, but the movement must also be unusual for a defender. "abrupt actions that are not a part of normal defensive player movement and are an obvious attempt to cause an offensive player(s) to foul (false start)." The abrupt action must also not be part of a normal defencive player movement and an obvious attempt to cause an offencive player to false start. In this case, it's a simple shift in position to gain leverage on a favourable matchup that DLaw saw with the oline on a short yardage play. This would allow him to be able to shoot the gap to gain easier access to the RB. Therefore, while it is abrupt, it is a normal move. Therefore, this part of the rule does not apply.
When you jerk your head to the left before moving to the right is not a normal move. He knew what he was doing and got caught. I have never liked the rule. It was made for Derrick Thomas because he drew OL off all the time. Didn't like the rule because the OL knows the snap count so they shouldn't move from a defensive player jumping . To me it's no different from a hard count. Give the D something and let them do what they want as long as the don't simulate the snap count and as long as they are on sides when the ball is snap . But it is a rule .

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If he was onside when he was initially set, he's guaranteed to be onside by shifting straight to the right. No need to move your head left if your destination is to the right.

That's a good point. As I said, that was my best guess as to why he'd look that way. Even so, I'd still be surprised if a simple head bob would be enough to cause a false start.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
When you jerk your head to the left before moving to the right is not a normal move. He knew what he was doing and got caught. I have never liked the rule. It was made for Derrick Thomas because he drew OL off all the time. Didn't like the rule because the OL knows the snap count so they shouldn't move from a defensive player jumping . To me it's no different from a hard count. Give the D something and let them do what they want as long as the don't simulate the snap count and as long as they are on sides when the ball is snap . But it is a rule .

I suppose so, which I suppose would make the call valid. I just was surprised to see that called. Additionally, if he was looking left and then shifted right, could it not be possible that he was told by one of the coaches or a player to shift a bit?

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Yes, you are too busy looking for any obscure language that can justify your opinion, like "Offensive Holding can't be called whenever a rip move is used".

Blocking Notes:
(1) When a defensive player is held by an offensive player during the following situations, Offensive Holding will not be called:
(i) if, during a defensive charge, a defensive player uses a “rip” technique that puts an offensive player in a position that would normally be holding.

Know your rules, son. Know your rules.

Little Jr

Reaction score
I suppose so, which I suppose would make the call valid. I just was surprised to see that called. Additionally, if he was looking left and then shifted right, could it not be possible that he was told by one of the coaches or a player to shift a bit?
Im not saying I like it. Lol even after seeing the video, I'm not a fan of the call. But it is a rule so....still sucks. Lol

During the game I hated it. I was watching it with my 16 yr old son and he plays DT. I told him it was bull****. My son's team does all the time. Right before the snap they'll shift. It's just a normal shift but it's the whole DL. Once I saw the video, I understood the call.

Kaiser

Reaction score

They say you can call offensive holding on 75% of all NFL plays and it true. The issue on this play isn't that you can't dream up a rule interpretation to kinda, sorta justify the call. The issue is that it was a critical third down and it should have been delay on game on TB (again) and they awarded the first down to TB.

I've said it for years. Its not anti-Dallas, its anti-big lead on the scoreboard by any team that makes fans turn off their TV (and makes the NFL lose money).

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Im not saying I like it. Lol even after seeing the video, I'm not a fan of the call. But it is a rule so....still sucks. Lol

During the game I hated it. I was watching it with my 16 yr old son and he plays DT. I told him it was bull****. My son's team does all the time. Right before the snap they'll shift. It's just a normal shift but it's the whole DL. Once I saw the video, I understood the call.

Yes, but that's what I'm saying. It's absolutely normal. Let me ask this, and I can agree that we don't like the rule, but, if Tyron Smith sees a chap shift all of a sudden, can he just jump then or would he have to wait for a different move? Because the shifts are absolutely normal. Granted, while I played a bit of dline in HS, I was more used for kicking given my background with the other football.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Know your rules, son. Know your rules.

Yes, we know your opinion that Damien Wilson shoved his neck into the OT's elbow. But that rule was from years ago when the OL would have his arms extended and a DL would rip under his arms to force a holding call. That is why that language is there, it doesn't mean you can hold a player around his neck.

MarcusRock

Reaction score

He wasn't looking left. He was looking right the whole way to watch the play clock and/or Winston and only jerked left just before he shifted right.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Yes, but that's what I'm saying. It's absolutely normal. Let me ask this, and I can agree that we don't like the rule, but, if Tyron Smith sees a chap shift all of a sudden, can he just jump then or would he have to wait for a different move? Because the shifts are absolutely normal. Granted, while I played a bit of dline in HS, I was more used for kicking given my background with the other football.
The shift was fine. That's why I was mad they called it. But when @MarcusRock posted the video and it showed him actually faking to the left first, it wasn't a normal shift.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
He wasn't looking left. He was looking right the whole way to watch the play clock and/or Winston and only jerked left just before he shifted right.

Yes, and that could have been because someone told him to shift. That's not abnormal either. Now, I'm not sure where our coaches would've been on the play, but I think it's possible that Awuzie might've told him to shift over a bit. That would explain the quick look to the left and the shift to the right.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The shift was fine. That's why I was mad they called it. But when @MarcusRock posted the video and it showed him actually faking to the left first, it wasn't a normal shift.

Okay, but, as stated, he may have been told to move over. If that's the case, then perhaps it is a legitimate call, but I don't know if that'd necessarily be DLaw's fault because he could easily have been told to move a bit.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Yes, and that could have been because someone told him to shift. That's not abnormal either. Now, I'm not sure where our coaches would've been on the play, but I think it's possible that Awuzie might've told him to shift over a bit. That would explain the quick look to the left and the shift to the right.

Just watched the replay with the sound way up. Could only hear Winston barking out orders. The closest player to Lawrence was Heath and Heath pointed to the gap in the very center of the line it looks like to tell Jaylon to fill the gap the guard against the QB sneak. Didn't look like he was directing Lawrence.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Okay, but, as stated, he may have been told to move over. If that's the case, then perhaps it is a legitimate call, but I don't know if that'd necessarily be DLaw's fault because he could easily have been told to move a bit.
He could've moved, that wasn't the issue. It was the fake to the left before moving to the right that got him.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Just watched the replay with the sound way up. Could only hear Winston barking out orders. The closest player to Lawrence was Heath and Heath pointed to the gap in the very center of the line it looks like to tell Jaylon to fill the gap the guard against the QB sneak. Didn't look like he was directing Lawrence.

Yes, but Lawrence could've interpreted it to mean him. It'd certainly explain the look that Lawrence was making and the subsequent shift.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
He could've moved, that wasn't the issue. It was the fake to the left before moving to the right that got him.

Yes, but, as I pointed out to Marcus, it's highly possible that he was told, or thought that he was told, to move to that side. Perhaps Heath was telling Jaylon to go there, but Lawrence may have thought that Heath was telling him to shift a bit. As I said, it'd explain the sudden look to the left and then the shift right.