If they target a trenches player at 26, which would have the biggest impact?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Go watch his tape against Anderson and sign me up.

He’s turned into one of my targets at 26.
We have different opinions with Terrence Steele, believe he is our long term piece at the position

cowboyec

Reaction score
•broderick jones,ot-georgia
•dawand jones,ot-ohio st
•darnell wright,ot-tennessee
•mazi smith,dt-michigan

those 4 are among my favs.
be happy with any 1 of'm...if its trench warfare at 26.

ghst187

Reaction score
You make that decision off of one college game. :huh: All he has to do is clog the middle and force double teams so LVE, Clark and Wilson can clean up. The Cowboys toughest opponents will be running the football. We need big ugly on the defensive line.
Totally agree 100,000% but I just don’t think he’s that guy. Seems like this year is a big year and rather pay a vet for proven and known than chance it with a rookie

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Totally agree 100,000% but I just don’t think he’s that guy. Seems like this year is a big year and rather pay a vet for proven and known than chance it with a rookie
The vets out there are JAGS. Some team guaranteed Tomilson 20 million dollars. The Cowboys need to invest a high pick into 1 tech.

cnuball21

Reaction score
We have different opinions with Terrence Steele, believe he is our long term piece at the position
If they extend Tyler B and plan on extending Tyler S at some point might not be enough money to go around.

garyv

Reaction score
it will be a DE at 26 if they want to bolster the DLine but i hope they pick offense .
It seems like with Tank and Sam Williams and Armstrong and etc. we are ok at edge but DT is a higher priority

Cowboyny

Reaction score
If they extend Tyler B and plan on extending Tyler S at some point might not be enough money to go around.
We aren't talking about market setting extensions for guys like Biaz, Steele. Both Martin/Tyron will be off the books the time Tyler is up for an extension. Out of the three, he will cost the most.

J-man

Reaction score
In my mind, I think they would rank their top 6 wish list at 26 (in order) as a WR, CB, DE, OT, OG and DT.
And if they get at least a quality starter at any of those 6 spots, I'm ok with it.

I personally would rank the order of importance as WR, OG, CB, DE, OT, DT. Here's why:

We have to have another dangerous WR (not TE) to help Lamb or this offense can be stopped easily.
I'd rather start Tyler at LT, Tyron at RT and make Steele my swing for this season. He's coming off an injury and we know that Tyron will not last an entire year. That leaves a hole at LG and Martin won't be at RG too many more years.
Brown probably isn't coming back. Will Lewis? Bland seems to be a good slot DB, but we signed 32 year Gilmore to be a starter outside. Even if he produces like last season, how long will that continue?
Love D-Law as an overall solid DE, but he has never been a stud pass rusher and the clock is ticking on his career.
T Smith is a FHOF LT, but is on his last leg. I think Tyler and Steele are good OT's. Steele and has improved, but he's coming off injury. Tyler is a good LT, but could be a stud LG. None of them would keep me from taking a stud OT if given the chance.
Everyone knows we need a stud 1T, but everyone also knows they will not spend a 1 at that position. I like our D-line better than most, but I would take a stud DT (1 or 3) anytime I could get one.

cnuball21

Reaction score
We aren't talking about market setting extensions for guys like Biaz, Steele. Both Martin/Tyron will be off the books the time Tyler is up for an extension. Out of the three, he will cost the most.
I hear ya, just trying to provide context on why they think a RT might make sense in round 1 due to positional value. Also - the contract might not be record setting but both Tyler B and Terrance will be looking for 10+ mil…while we’re still paying Martin.

Same thing we’re talking about with a DE and potentially getting out of Tanks contract.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I hear ya, just trying to provide context on why they think a RT might make sense in round 1 due to positional value. Also - the contract might not be record setting but both Tyler B and Terrance will be looking for 10+ mil…while we’re still paying Martin.

Same thing we’re talking about with a DE and potentially getting out of Tanks contract.
Tyler is replacing Tyron's contract, where the next biggest deal is DLaw who counts for 20 million in 2024.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
If he sticks at LT yes - and I didn’t even mention Tyrons contract.
Tyron's contract will be off the books next offseason, all indications are the Tyler is his long-term replacement at the position. DLaw is clearly the biggest contract on their books next season, outside of their QB.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Tyron's contract will be off the books next offseason, all indications are the Tyler is his long-term replacement at the position. DLaw is clearly the biggest contract on their books next season, outside of their QB.
Right, what I’m getting at is Tyler B and Steele are due to be paid after next year.

You think well be able to pay 4/5 of our OL guys top dollar?

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Taking a 2 down run plugger would make the biggest year 1 impact but would be the worst possible use of a 1st rounder IMO.

Take the premium position at OT / Edge and prepare for the future without Smith and Tank.
More im looking at this i want a Strong as bull Athletic DT at 26. I don't care if he's 280 lbs or 340 lbs, he just needs to be nimble and strong and can move around and hold his ground.

cnuball21

Reaction score
More im looking at this i want a Strong as bull Athletic DT at 26. I don't care if he's 280 lbs or 340 lbs, he just needs to be nimble and strong and can move around and hold his ground.
That’s Mazi, he’s just not a good enough player to be taken in the 1st round.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Smith has some concerning comments in his scouting report. Very Taco like. Big time pass.

I would target Siaki Ika from Baylor.
i think if you resign someone like hankins to fill in for next 2 years you can pick Mazi Smith at 26. I know he's got the Taco Signs but he's been productive 40 and 50 tackles a year from the NT position. You sometimes dont see LBs with that many tackles on the team. Rotation of Mazi and Hankins for 2 years and then him take over i think your good.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Right, what I’m getting at is Tyler B and Steele are due to be paid after next year.

You think well be able to pay 4/5 of our OL guys top dollar?
Neither Steele or Biaz are considered elite starters and they should get compensated as such. The only big contract will be Zach Martin's. We should be paying nothing for another running back and TE positions, where we were paying a ton just last season.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Neither Steele or Biaz are considered elite starters and they should get compensated as such. The only big contract will be Zach Martin's. We should be paying nothing for another running back and TE positions, where we were paying a ton just last season.
Next man up to get paid, bet you’ll be surprised how much they command.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Next man up to get paid, bet you’ll be surprised how much they command.
We shall see, think when they get this less valued positions more under low levels, it should balance out the roster. No more paying top money for the RB/TE.