If they target a trenches player at 26, which would have the biggest impact?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
i think if you resign someone like hankins to fill in for next 2 years you can pick Mazi Smith at 26. I know he's got the Taco Signs but he's been productive 40 and 50 tackles a year from the NT position. You sometimes dont see LBs with that many tackles on the team. Rotation of Mazi and Hankins for 2 years and then him take over i think your good.
I wouldn’t touch Mazi for anything. We should be done with these talented guys that give limited effort and have questionable drive. He is an avoid at all costs for me. Ika, Bresee, Pickens, Benton and Dexter. All more reliable prospects in my eye. Bresee won’t be there but some of these guys could be had with the 58 or 90 pick. If they can sign a Hankins before the draft I would also grab Kancey with 26. I don’t care about his weight or arm length. The guy has an elite first step and is a playmaker. Not saying he is Donald but they had the same issues with him. Yet he is going to the Hall as a “too small DT” that just wrecked people with his get off and tenacity.

ghst187

Reaction score
The vets out there are JAGS. Some team guaranteed Tomilson 20 million dollars. The Cowboys need to invest a high pick into 1 tech.
I can’t see investing a first round esp when no one is first round talent. We probably get Hankins back and he was a boost when healthy. I agree on the need but don’t on using a first, esp on a third rounds yalent

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I can’t see investing a first round esp when no one is first round talent. We probably get Hankins back and he was a boost when healthy. I agree on the need but don’t on using a first, esp on a third rounds yalent
Supposedly he is acting funny about signing now. Let’s move on we trying to win a Bowl.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I’ll throw a bit of a curveball with a name I don’t see mentioned much in R1 but I think has the tools to be a special player: Tuli Tuipulotu - USC

Dude is an absolute menace. He has an array of pass rush moves (watch the clip and the subtlety in some of the moves) and insane get off. Has position flex playing both DT and DE at USC.

BTW, he measured in at 6’-3” 266 lbs at the Combine which right around the prototypical size the Cowboys like their DEs.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I’ll throw a bit of a curveball with a name I don’t see mentioned much in R1 but I think has the tools to be a special player: Tuli Tuipulotu - USC

Dude is an absolute menace. He has an array of pass rush moves (watch the clip and the subtlety in some of the moves) and insane get off. Has position flex playing both DT and DE at USC.

BTW, he measured in at 6’-3” 266 lbs at the Combine which right around the prototypical size the Cowboys like their DEs.

Really wish we would’ve been able to see him test…just not sure what kind of athlete he is.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
-We are well aware that this is probably Tyron Smith's last season with the team. Zach Martin also is getting older. Team really needs another interior starter.
-The defensive line is in a similar situation, how much longer can we expect DLaw to play at a high level? What about DT, which probably is the weakest position on the entire team. We have no long-term NT, still waiting on the likes of Osa/Gallimore/Golston to take the next step.

-With the starting 5 on the OL pretty set, don't see a rookie seeing full time starter snaps.
-Team only values pass rushing DT's high up in the draft, we can exclude any two down NT's
-Team has always valued DE's/Edge rushers, but they already have trouble giving Sam Williams snaps. Armstrong/Fowler are fa's in 2024.

You can make a case for drafting any of the three. Believe our run defense really struggled more on the edges then within the interior, maybe taking an big DE makes some sense. Tyron hasn't played a full season in years, taking another starting caliber, offensive lineman would have a high level plan in place.
Year 1? Dont really see any trench player having a huge impact. Any OL is probably not a starter this year. DT's are weak at the point in draft. Smith will be a 2 down guy, and he is a bit overrated anyways. Edge rushers take time to develop, and we are deep there right now.

Drafting in the trenches would be a long term move IMO. The only real 2023 impact guys I could see are Dexter and Tuipulotu because they can play both 3T and 4i (Depending on what Tuipulotu weighs in camp)

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

The 266 was very interesting. Dont know of he lost, or his listed 290 was wayyyyy off. I do think he offers the position flex they want and you cant argue his production

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Year 1? Dont really see any trench player having a huge impact. Any OL is probably not a starter this year. DT's are weak at the point in draft. Smith will be a 2 down guy, and he is a bit overrated anyways. Edge rushers take time to develop, and we are deep there right now.

Drafting in the trenches would be a long term move IMO. The only real 2023 impact guys I could see are Dexter and Tuipulotu because they can play both 3T and 4i (Depending on what Tuipulotu weighs in camp)
Yes, drafting DL is more of a future investment due to develop needed. However, when you look at the roster, they could lose both Armstrong/Fowler next yr and DLaw is counting 20 million against the cap. Now might be the right time to begin grooming a future starter along with Sam Williams.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
-We are well aware that this is probably Tyron Smith's last season with the team. Zach Martin also is getting older. Team really needs another interior starter.
-The defensive line is in a similar situation, how much longer can we expect DLaw to play at a high level? What about DT, which probably is the weakest position on the entire team. We have no long-term NT, still waiting on the likes of Osa/Gallimore/Golston to take the next step.

-With the starting 5 on the OL pretty set, don't see a rookie seeing full time starter snaps.
-Team only values pass rushing DT's high up in the draft, we can exclude any two down NT's
-Team has always valued DE's/Edge rushers, but they already have trouble giving Sam Williams snaps. Armstrong/Fowler are fa's in 2024.

You can make a case for drafting any of the three. Believe our run defense really struggled more on the edges then within the interior, maybe taking an big DE makes some sense. Tyron hasn't played a full season in years, taking another starting caliber, offensive lineman would have a high level plan in place.
Question for you. Why is it ok for the Cowboys to draft a pass rusher (McDonald) or cornerback (Banks) over a defensive tackle (Mazi)? You are going to say Mazi is a two down player but the defensive pass rusher and cornerback both have limited snaps because of the players in front of them. McDonald at best will be rotating with Armstrong, Tank, Fowler and Sam. While Banks will be the backup cornerback. I would also say the same thing about Robinson but I don’t think he will be there at 26.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Question for you. Why is it ok for the Cowboys to draft a pass rusher (McDonald) or cornerback (Banks) over a defensive tackle (Mazi)? You are going to say Mazi is a two down player but the defensive pass rusher and cornerback both have limited snaps because of the players in front of them. McDonald at best will be rotating with Armstrong, Tank, Fowler and Sam. While Banks will be the backup cornerback. I would also say the same thing about Robinson but I don’t think he will be there at 26.
Both corner, edge are the highest paid defensive positions. If they can find a starter who can replace DLaw (20 million cap in 2024) or Gilmore, they would be saving major cap money. Two down NT's are far cheaper. Remember the draft isn't about year 1, but rather the life of their 5 yr contract. We have Diggs/Lamb/Steele/Biaz that need to be extended next offseason and we are going to need to create more space.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yes, drafting DL is more of a future investment due to develop needed. However, when you look at the roster, they could lose both Armstrong/Fowler next yr and DLaw is counting 20 million against the cap. Now might be the right time to begin grooming a future starter along with Sam Williams.
I was speaking specifically of 2023

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Both corner, edge are the highest paid defensive positions. If they can find a starter who can replace DLaw (20 million cap in 2024) or Gilmore, they would be saving major cap money. Two down NT's are far cheaper. Remember the draft isn't about year 1, but rather the life of their 5 yr contract. We have Diggs/Lamb/Steele/Biaz that need to be extended next offseason and we are going to need to create more space.
I have changed my mind again :oops: :grin:I started watching highlights of McDonald. He is basically Gregory without the drama. I might run to the podium to take him at 26.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I have changed my mind again :oops: :grin:I started watching highlights of McDonald. He is basically Gregory without the drama. I might run to the podium to take him at 26.
Right now, my gut tells me they are going to go get Bijian Robinson. McDonald is a very good option, though.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Right now, my gut tells me they are going to go get Bijian Robinson. McDonald is a very good option, though.
I don’t want to get my hopes up for the kid. I see him and TP would be the best backfield in the league. We would have three players that can score anywhere on the field. I just don’t see Atlanta, Washington, New England, Chargers, and Tampa passing on him. Once you get to pick 12 he will be the number 1 player on the board. I think you mentioned a trade up. That is the only way the Cowboys would be able to get him.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I was surprised to see that comp but it’s actually a pretty good one.

Gregory was light coming out of college but had long arms and was strong against the right.

RG was a bad, bad dude coming out of college. He was a better prospect but the comp is fairly good.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I was surprised to see that comp but it’s actually a pretty good one.

Gregory was light coming out of college but had long arms and was strong against the right.

RG was a bad, bad dude coming out of college. He was a better prospect but the comp is fairly good.
RG was a top 5 pick until the weed caught up with him. You called it brother, the Cowboys should sit and wait at 26 a top 15 guy is likely to fall to our pick. JSN forty time has to drop him down some. :thumbup:

cnuball21

Reaction score
RG was a top 5 pick until the weed caught up with him. You called it brother, the Cowboys should sit and wait at 26 a top 15 guy is likely to fall to our pick. JSN forty time has to drop him down some. :thumbup:
100%. I’m not the biggest JSN fan but I would like the pick. I’d just hope theyd still let Lamb get a good amount of slot snaps because he’s lethal there.

Gosh JSN would just get 1:1 looks all day with us trotting out Lamb and Cooks on the outside. Pick your poison.