If they target a trenches player at 26, which would have the biggest impact?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
  • As a run blocker he's the best in the class, as a pass protector he's still excellent and plays with a wide base and absorbs pressure from interior rushers with ease
by NFLDRAFTBUZZ
I have seen different views about him as a pass protector.

KDM256

Reaction score
Darnell Wright would be my realistic choice if Dallas was drafting a player from the trenches at 26

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
-We are well aware that this is probably Tyron Smith's last season with the team. Zach Martin also is getting older. Team really needs another interior starter.
-The defensive line is in a similar situation, how much longer can we expect DLaw to play at a high level? What about DT, which probably is the weakest position on the entire team. We have no long-term NT, still waiting on the likes of Osa/Gallimore/Golston to take the next step.

-With the starting 5 on the OL pretty set, don't see a rookie seeing full time starter snaps.
-Team only values pass rushing DT's high up in the draft, we can exclude any two down NT's
-Team has always valued DE's/Edge rushers, but they already have trouble giving Sam Williams snaps. Armstrong/Fowler are fa's in 2024.

You can make a case for drafting any of the three. Believe our run defense really struggled more on the edges then within the interior, maybe taking an big DE makes some sense. Tyron hasn't played a full season in years, taking another starting caliber, offensive lineman would have a high level plan in place.
If you can draft an elite player, then do it regardless of position.

Micah and Tyler were home run picks regardless of position.

Taco was a fail...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
-We are well aware that this is probably Tyron Smith's last season with the team. Zach Martin also is getting older. Team really needs another interior starter.
-The defensive line is in a similar situation, how much longer can we expect DLaw to play at a high level? What about DT, which probably is the weakest position on the entire team. We have no long-term NT, still waiting on the likes of Osa/Gallimore/Golston to take the next step.

-With the starting 5 on the OL pretty set, don't see a rookie seeing full time starter snaps.
-Team only values pass rushing DT's high up in the draft, we can exclude any two down NT's
-Team has always valued DE's/Edge rushers, but they already have trouble giving Sam Williams snaps. Armstrong/Fowler are fa's in 2024.

You can make a case for drafting any of the three. Believe our run defense really struggled more on the edges then within the interior, maybe taking an big DE makes some sense. Tyron hasn't played a full season in years, taking another starting caliber, offensive lineman would have a high level plan in place.
Teams would have better draft results if they focused on what the draft pick will do in year 2. Over-focusing on rookie contribution has resulted in many fails.

Larry Allen didn't start game 1 of his rookie season. He only played started multiple games because of the Erik Williams car wreck. In year 2 he was All Pro...

Similar with Darren Woodson.

Hardline

Reaction score
John Michael Schmitz

USATSI_17441929.jpg

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Teams would have better draft results if they focused on what the draft pick will do in year 2. Over-focusing on rookie contribution has resulted in many fails.

Larry Allen didn't start game 1 of his rookie season. He only played started multiple games because of the Erik Williams car wreck. In year 2 he was All Pro...

Similar with Darren Woodson.
Good point!

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
There is talent past the 1st round. (See Erik Williams, Nate Newton, Larry Allen, Mark Stepnoski, Mark Tuinei, John Gesek, Kevin Gogan.)
We need a competent OL coach.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
If you’re really hellbent on an early DT, then hope that Keanu Benton falls to our second pick. He is 100 times better player than Smith and is very stout in the run game.

Also, he is exactly what you want in your locker room. He might go before we pick in round 2 though.

He is the only DT I like early(ish) besides Jalen Carter.

ghst187

Reaction score
I am trying to win this season. We need a 1 tech more then an offensive tackle. Mazi Smith all day everyday.
I agree with first statement but strongly disagree with the second. You are talking about a two down player and frankly I was high in Mazi until i watched him, esp TCU run all over, by, and past him over and over. Would hate to spend a premium pick on a two down player who may not even be good. Write the check for Hankins, not much more than what you’d pay a first round pick, get a proven player and use the pick on a more expensive 3 down position.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I agree with first statement but strongly disagree with the second. You are talking about a two down player and frankly I was high in Mazi until i watched him, esp TCU run all over, by, and past him over and over. Would hate to spend a premium pick on a two down player who may not even be good. Write the check for Hankins, not much more than what you’d pay a first round pick, get a proven player and use the pick on a more expensive 3 down position.
The Cowboys defensive system is much different from Michigan. Mazi will be a better pro then college player in my opinion. He would walk in and be our best 1 tech today.

ghst187

Reaction score
The Cowboys defensive system is much different from Michigan. Mazi will be a better pro then college player in my opinion. He would walk in and be our best 1 tech today.
Well maybe but that ain’t sayin much. And still talking about a two down player when you could just pay nearly the same money and get Hankins back while using the pick elsewhere.
Via he is not though.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Well maybe but that ain’t sayin much. And still talking about a two down player when you could just pay nearly the same money and get Hankins back while using the pick elsewhere.
Via he is not though.
You make that decision off of one college game. :huh: All he has to do is clog the middle and force double teams so LVE, Clark and Wilson can clean up. The Cowboys toughest opponents will be running the football. We need big ugly on the defensive line.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
The expectation level is the issue when you draft a guy like Smith in round 1. Vea is the exception. Was an impact guy from the start. But generally it takes time. Look at Brown from the Panthers. Top 10 pick and last year he finally started to show some of the promise. Our problem is we think we can develop the guys we take in the 5th and 6th round. That hasn’t worked. Go get a guy sooner. Maybe round 3. Have a better shot of developing someone that might stick.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The expectation level is the issue when you draft a guy like Smith in round 1. Vea is the exception. Was an impact guy from the start. But generally it takes time. Look at Brown from the Panthers. Top 10 pick and last year he finally started to show some of the promise. Our problem is we think we can develop the guys we take in the 5th and 6th round. That hasn’t worked. Go get a guy sooner. Maybe round 3. Have a better shot of developing someone that might stick.
There are not many Smith type of defensive tackles in this draft. We probably will have to take the next guy with our 58 pick. The issue for the Cowboys is their picks are late in the round.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
The best value, and the biggest impact is and should be O'Cyrus Torrence, he is the only natural LG, and is a necessity to improve the offensive line, and also keep in mind that Zack Martin and Tyron Smith are on their way out, prospects like Torrence are very few and far between
What about the monster from Ohio State, Jones? I'm not saying at 26 but just curious what the feeling is from folks who have studied more than me on this years class.