If this draft is so deep at WR, why not double up

Cowboyny

Reaction score
We are all well aware the team has a priority need for the #3 Receiver, preferably more of a slot receiver. Just like the nickel CB, the slot receiver is like another starter in today's game.

Both Cooper/Gallup have the skill set to not only play on the outside, but also can play in the slot if needed. You would think they would want to draft a similar type of receiver, one who has the ability to play inside/outside.

Cooper played hurt for the majority of last season, the team needs to protect themselves and find a backup, outside receiver who has the ability to produce as a spot starter if needed. What about special teams? If the team is going to make a backup, active on game day they are going to have to contribute on special teams. This hurt Devin Smith last season. With the team looking to improve that unit, you would think they target receivers who have strong special teams abilities.

If the position is so deep in the draft, why not double dip. Certainly would like to find another Cooper/Gallup type, but if they can't, why not draft a legitimate outside starting caliber receiver and one who can play in the slot. Perhaps target receivers who have strong special team abilities so they can be active on gamedays.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I would be absolutely thrilled to go something like:

Ruggs: 1, Van Jefferson: 4
Reagor: 2, Pittman: 3
Mims: 2, Hamler: 4

Really hard to guess where guys are going to go, but I'd be all for it.

Having said that, we don't know what this staff thinks of Devin Smith, Cedrick Wilson, or even JVJ.

Croomraider

Reaction score
I think Cowboys are going to just take BPA all draft long. Maybe zero in on Jalen Hurts in the 3rd.
Add Dez Bryant if it doesn't work out and really you don't even need a wideout. Granted I love this group of
draft day wideouts.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Having said that, we don't know what this staff thinks of Devin Smith, Cedrick Wilson, or even JVJ.
-

I know you have been pushing for that undersized, speed slot receiver, where my preference has been more of a big, possession type WR. My question to you is, can the likes of Ruggs/Reagor/Hamler also play on the outside or are they considered slot only receivers? With the health of Cooper, you would think they at least need a capable, spot starter on the outside.

They are going to draft a receiver somewhere within their top 3 selections (Days 1-2). Do they take advantage of the depth and add another?
I believe if any of the top three fall to 17, they will pull the trigger and land one.

I like your second grouping the best as both players offer special teams abilities, but realistically they probably cannot draft 2 receivers that high due to defensive needs.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
-

I know you have been pushing for that undersized, speed slot receiver, where my preference has been more of a big, possession type WR. My question to you is, can the likes of Ruggs/Reagor/Hamler also play on the outside or are they considered slot only receivers? With the health of Cooper, you would think they at least need a capable, spot starter on the outside.

They are going to draft a receiver somewhere within their top 3 selections (Days 1-2). Do they take advantage of the depth and add another?
I believe if any of the top three fall to 17, they will pull the trigger and land one.

I like your second grouping the best as both players offer special teams abilities, but realistically they probably cannot draft 2 receivers that high due to defensive needs.
Big possession receivers are mostly irrelevant in today's game. Anyone with speed can play anywhere.

Sydla

Reaction score
I mean if the draft board falls a certain way that taking two WRs makes sense, sure.

But there's no real rational reason to suggest we "need" two WRs in this draft and should double dip.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I mean if the draft board falls a certain way that taking two WRs makes sense, sure.

But there's no real rational reason to suggest we "need" two WRs in this draft and should double dip.
It's all about value. If the team say has a 2nd rd grade on a WR and he is available on day 3 due to the strong class, it makes sense to draft him at a discounted price.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Sure, I’d be down for someone reasonably early and a development guy later rounds.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
It's all about value. If the team say has a 2nd rd grade on a WR and he is available on day 3 due to the strong class, it makes sense to draft him at a discounted price.
The class is so deep that it does seem likely that there will come a point where the highest rated player is likely a WR. I think the real question is what happens in the first three rounds. Does a WR fall to you that is such a value you can't pass on them? If so, i can definitely see multiple WR getting drafted.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Big possession receivers are mostly irrelevant in today's game. Anyone with speed can play anywhere.

This is where we disagree. Look around the NFL today, big, possession type of receivers are still productive. Julio Jones, Hopkins, Michael Thomas, etc. They demand double coverage on a consistent basis. I fully understanding the league is changing, where many smaller receivers are more effective now, due to playing more in space. However, when you look across the league, how many receivers are considered elite that fit this type of profile? Hill, Hilton, maybe Cooks. It doesn't mean you don't target such a receiver, but teams need to make sure such a receiver has more in his toolbox outside of elite speed. They may have dominated on the college level with their superior talent, but they need more on the highest level. Ruggs, seems to have depth in his game, but I'm not sure a player like Hamler does.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

I'm not saying we need two receivers, but more about taking advantage of the depth at the position.

McKDaddy

Reaction score

Have you watched any film on Quez Watkins out of Southern Miss? 4.35 speed and seems good at making different types of catches. Could be a day three guy to watch.

Sydla

Reaction score

But that gets back to BPA and my point.

If Ruggs or Jeudy or Lamb slip to us in the 1st and we take them and then let's say we have a 3rd round grade on Van Jefferson and he's there in the 4th or Claypool and we take one them in the 4th, great.

But we shouldn't be going into this draft looking to add multiple WRs just because it's a strong WR draft.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
But that gets back to BPA.

So yeah, if Ruggs or Jeudy or Lamb slip to us in the 1st and we take them and then let's say we have a 3rd round grade on Jefferson and he's there in the 4th or Claypool and we take one them in the 4th, great.

What I am pushing back against is this notion that because this is a strong WR we need to double dip at WR. We don't need to double dip.
We don't need to double dip, but may have WR's at the top of our board. Do they take a lesser player at a need position, time will tell.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
This is where we disagree. Look around the NFL today, big, possession type of receivers are still productive. Julio Jones, Hopkins, Michael Thomas, etc. They demand double coverage on a consistent basis. I fully understanding the league is changing, where many smaller receivers are more effective now, due to playing more in space. However, when you look across the league, how many receivers are considered elite that fit this type of profile? Hill, Hilton, maybe Cooks. It doesn't mean you don't target such a receiver, but teams need to make sure such a receiver has more in his toolbox outside of elite speed. They may have dominated on the college level with their superior talent, but they need more on the highest level. Ruggs, seems to have depth in his game, but I'm not sure a player like Hamler does.
Ok these are elite WRs who don't depend on size to win, but can. It's the Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery's of the world who are expendable.

Speed guys demand double coverage too. It is literally the Chiefs entire game plan. Besides, Gallup is a good enough contested ball WR and Jarwin a big enough body that neither is really a need. Dallas doesn't, at all, have a deep threat.

Sydla

Reaction score
We don't need to double dip, but may have WR's at the top of our board. Do they take a lesser player at a need position, time will tell.

Who knows. They tend to be a bit scatter brained on this. There are times when they simply took the BPA on the board (Martin was probably a BPA pick, so was Jones) and then there are times when they forced a need pick (Charlton and Hill).

I fear their lack of inaction at DE other than bringing in a guy like Smith, might force them to take a DE when there might be better options on the board. I like Chaisson. But if he's on the board at 17 and somehow Jeudy is on the board, I'd be hard pressed to take Chaisson over the WR there.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Ok these are elite WRs who don't depend on size to win, but can. It's the Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery's of the world who are expendable.

Speed guys demand double coverage too. It is literally the Chiefs entire game plan. Besides, Gallup is a good enough contested ball WR and Jarwin a big enough body that neither is really a need. Dallas doesn't, at all, have a deep threat.

I agree speed also can force teams to double cover. What about Cooper? He is a legitimate deep threat. The Chiefs are totally different cause of their great QB. Dak isn't on his level in terms of accruacy and arm strength. He need more of a receiver who has a large catch radius due to his inaccruacy at the position.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Who knows. They tend to be a bit scatter brained on this. There are times when they simply took the BPA on the board (Martin was probably a BPA pick, so was Jones) and then there are times when they forced a need pick (Charlton and Hill).

I fear their lack of inaction at DE other than bringing in a guy like Smith, might force them to take a DE when there might be better options on the board. I like Chaisson. But if he's on the board at 17 and somehow Jeudy is on the board, I'd be hard pressed to take Chaisson over the WR there.

I agree. They may push for need over best player available.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I agree speed also can force teams to double cover. What about Cooper? He is a legitimate deep threat. The Chiefs are totally different cause of their great QB. Dak isn't on his level in terms of accruacy and arm strength. He need more of a receiver who has a large catch radius due to his inaccruacy at the position.
NOOOPE