If this is true, maybe we should go QB in the first

waving monkey

Reaction score
it's just draft fatigue, there are loads of good reasons at three or four positions.
A lot of the ambiguity is lack of star talent.
swiss cheese

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think getting QB will open the window of opportunity for this franchise for several years. I think Jerry often looks to short term and that has not panned out. I want to see the Cowboys and Romo win a championship as much as anyone but I don't want to sacrifice the future for any individual player. Take the top QB at 4 and load up on defense through out the remainder of the draft.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I don't think this should be hard for them. They pay their scouts a lot of money to build their draft board, so they should follow it with the understanding that QB is the most important position on the field by a large margin.

If they are on the clock at #4 and have a QB with a "franchise QB" grade then they draft him regardless of other players available. If this is not the case then they should draft the best player on their board. Top five picks are supposed to be cornerstone players and Dallas does not get top five picks very often so they need to make this count.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I don't think this should be hard for them. They pay their scouts a lot of money to build their draft board, so they should follow it with the understanding that QB is the most important position on the field by a large margin.

If they are on the clock at #4 and have a QB with a "franchise QB" grade then they draft him regardless of other players available. If this is not the case then they should draft the best player on their board. Top five picks are supposed to be cornerstone players and Dallas does not get top five picks very often so they need to make this count.

It seems the scouts make their paychecks based on their first and second round picks, after that its a toss up. I cant remember the last time we hit on a late round pick.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
It seems the scouts make their paychecks based on their first and second round picks, after that its a toss up. I cant remember the last time we hit on a late round pick.

Yeah, they have not done so great. Punks.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They are all on IR....just waiting to show what they can do....:muttley:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Wentz, Tunsil, Ramsey, Trade down, Buckner

Thats the board

No, you have to factor Wentz in there as well IMO. Maybe even Goff (I would). Jack, to me, is a wild card. I like him a lot and I would not be overly disappointed if we took him but he really doesn't have a position for us right now. I don't think you can move Lee because he isn't stout enough to play MLB. We tried that and he ended up always nicked up. I do agree though, it should not be too tough. We either take a QB, take a good defensive player or trade down with another team and get value. I think a trade down, in this draft, is there for the taking. This draft kinda falls off after pick 5, as far as can't miss type talents. We are in a good position to trade down and pick up picks so that really should be an option for us with multiple teams.

JMO.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Very true as to the need for a QB in round 1. As true as the stubble on ol' Merle Haggard's face.
Say, mates, is Merle a usual name for a man?

DFWJC

Reaction score
It really should depend on how you rank this year's QBs pre-draft compared to others throughout the years. NOT the fact that you are picking at 4th overall.

For example, if you were drafting in 2013, you'd be an epic idiot to burn that 4th overall pick on a QB just because your odds are better to get one that high in the draft.
You would have burned the 4th overall on Geno Smith or maybe EJ Manual.
The draft is not a vacuum...each year is different.

It's just one scouting service, but Scouts inc has both Goff and Wentz ranked a 92 (which usually means mid to later 1st round)...not a 98-99 like they had Luck, Rodgers, Ryan.
But they, like all services, have had epic misses over the years both overrating and underrating players, so it's just one reference.

Bottom line, don't be an idiot and use the 4th pick on a QB just because you are drafting high. The quality of the player is always the main thing.

If you love him as an A+ player deserving of the 4th overall pick, then pull the trigger.