If this is true, maybe we should go QB in the first

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I don't believe it is, not even back in the day. However, Merle Haggard was a pretty unusual person so maybe it fits.

I would say akin to a boy being named Sue.

Say, how about those Cowboys!
Pick Goff and we are set for the next decade!

lkelly

Reaction score
The irony is that the most surefire way to make it 9 out of 15 is to draft a QB. Said QB will not be making the Pro Bowl any time soon. He will either sit behind Romo or be forced to go through growing pains while 8 or 9 other top notch QBs around the NFL put up huge numbers.

I think you draft a QB not to try to extend a Pro Bowl statistic, but to make sure you don't have a huge hole at the position in 2-4 years when Romo really is gone.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Draft both and solve the entire problem . QB in 1st, RB in 2nd. The Cowboys have done well with their first round picks , but they don't do so well after that.

I want Lynch and Dixon. .....that's just me though

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Im in the long term approach to building a franchise. we have a couple of good backs and if one goes down we can still run the ball. If one of our QBs goes down, well, we saw what happens. Lets get a QB at 4.

Because a rookie is going to come in and light the world on fire?

In this mediocre class of throwers?

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Because a rookie is going to come in and light the world on fire?

In this mediocre class of throwers?

You dont know this is a class of mediocre throwers. Like everyone knew Brady and Romo were gunna be what they became. Drafting is a crap shoot I dont think your being paid to talent scout for any NFL teams so your opinion means as much as mine. And thats exactly what these are, yours and my opinions. These "throwers" are regarded as high prospects. Thats good enough for me to take a chance on them. Hopefully we wont need a back up to play meaningful snaps this year, but if we do I would rather get the future some experience and hopefully win a game or two verses trotting out whoever we can talk into getting off there couch cause we need a QB. Take one at 4 and groom him and dont be drafting at 4 no more, cause drafting at 4 means you suck.

Arkyvarminter

Reaction score
You dont know this is a class of mediocre throwers. Like everyone knew Brady and Romo were gunna be what they became. Drafting is a crap shoot I dont think your being paid to talent scout for any NFL teams so your opinion means as much as mine. And thats exactly what these are, yours and my opinions. These "throwers" are regarded as high prospects. Thats good enough for me to take a chance on them. Hopefully we wont need a back up to play meaningful snaps this year, but if we do I would rather get the future some experience and hopefully win a game or two verses trotting out whoever we can talk into getting off there couch cause we need a QB. Take one at 4 and groom him and dont be drafting at 4 no more, cause drafting at 4 means you suck.

Very well said...

Vinnie2u

Reaction score

Yeah! What he said!

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score

Brady and Romo weren't supposed to be as good as they are. They are the exceptions to the rule.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I am taking lynch

Never have to hold your breath everytime Romo goes back to pass this year

When I watched the top QBs I came away with Lynch on top and Goff #2. I've never been a fan of Wentz.

Then i read something that the ability to make reads quickly and see the rush at the same time is a skill that either a guy has or doesn't have. Both Lynch and Wentz don't seem to have that feel. They will often roll out a la Stephen McGee even when their blockers have given a pocket to step up in or just hold tight because they panic over anticipating pressure.

OTOH, Goff can look downfield and see/feel the rush. His OL sucked and you can see him work the pocket like a professional. I get his weight and hand size are an issue but if we have to draft a QB that is the one I want now. I think he has the best chance to succeed.

rpntex

Reaction score
When I watched the top QBs I came away with Lynch on top and Goff #2. I've never been a fan of Wentz.

Then i read something that the ability to make reads quickly and see the rush at the same time is a skill that either a guy has or doesn't have. Both Lynch and Wentz don't seem to have that feel. They will often roll out a la Stephen McGee even when their blockers have given a pocket to step up in or just hold tight because they panic over anticipating pressure.

OTOH, Goff can look downfield and see/feel the rush. His OL sucked and you can see him work the pocket like a professional. I get his weight and hand size are an issue but if we have to draft a QB that is the one I want now. I think he has the best chance to succeed.

IMO, Lynch will be the get if the top three QBs in a few years. He's the least NFL-ready right now, but his physical tools and intelligence give him the highest ceiling. And since we (hopefully) won't be counting on him for a couple or three years, give me the guy who'll be the best in a couple or three years. Who really cares if Goff's the most NFL-ready right now. If Romo can stay healthy, being NFL-ready now is a non-factor.

I like the thought of trading back with the Rams for both of their 2nds (#43 & 45), and possibly their 1st in 2017. That seems rich for them, but if either Wentz or Goff is there, I bet they'd overpay. Take someone like Shaq Lawson or Sheldon Rankins with #15. Then package - 4th and one of those 2nds (#34, 43, or 45) to move back up to the late 1st and take Lynch. Or maybe just take Lynch at 15. In any event, I want Lynch in the 1st just so we get that 5th-year option.