If this is true, maybe we should go QB in the first

LittleD

Reaction score
Well, it's true, we don't know. However, we do know this. No matter what else we do on either side of the ball, without a QB, we can't win. We have to have somebody who can be our Franchise QB when Tony is done. If you go FA for a QB, that is so stupid expensive that you almost limit yourself to what you can do with the rest of the roster. I understand the concern but I don't see as we have much choice in the matter and that sucks but that's pretty much the deal.

You make salient points as always. I just think the FO believes that an experience QB will be let go during TC or during the first weeks of the season and
I also think this coaching staff would rather play an experienced "has been" player than a rookie. They seem to practice that with all their players.
They don't seem to prefer youth except for 1st round draftees and those on special teams.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Sadly, Merle Haggard passed on this week. What loss to country music. Seems like all the greats are leaving us.

I am just glad he moved his life from one of crime to one of singing, such as it was.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
The name reached its peak in popularity (ranked 170th) in the US for males in 1918 (it is also a feminine name, but not as commonly used as for males). I also believe it was a more common name in the southern US as compared to other regions. The name dropped off the "popularity chart" in the late 70's. :)

Thank god. As Fuzzy Lumpkins' godfather at the Christening, I recommended we name the shreiking baby Merle!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You make salient points as always. I just think the FO believes that an experience QB will be let go during TC or during the first weeks of the season and
I also think this coaching staff would rather play an experienced "has been" player than a rookie. They seem to practice that with all their players.
They don't seem to prefer youth except for 1st round draftees and those on special teams.

I think this is true. I think what we will see this year are three QBs on the roster. One will the guy we draft. One will be the backup and one will be Tony.

LittleD

Reaction score
I think this is true. I think what we will see this year are three QBs on the roster. One will the guy we draft. One will be the backup and one will be Tony.

Most likely, unless Jamiele Showers wows us all in TC?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I see what was done there...oh, it makes a difference when one raises his pinkie finger when waving a wand...

merlincartoon.gif

His initial contract has been expanded twice, and the total amounts due for the next three seasons are:

2016 $20.8
2017 $24.7
2018 $25.2

Those amounts are on the book already. as are a total cap amount of $146.9 for the year 2017. How one attempts to wave a magical wand around, doesn't remove the simple fact that the Dallas Cowboys plan on Tony being the team's undisputed leader for EVERY ONE OF THE THREE YEARS. Break up those amounts as one wishes, but don't also assume they go away when one cross compares to actual money on position. Sorry, those numbers will still put one's butt into bankruptcy court at some level.

What they "plan on" wasn't what I was responding to. The author stated that Romo isn't going anywhere before 2018 because of the cost. Not true. They can cut him, or he can retire, after this season and they'll be fine.

That amount is already figured into a consideration of managing future come due contracts and maintaining roster strengths. But in considerations of more than the quarterback position. What are YOU going to do when Tony Romo is STILL around in 2018? But a drafted quarterback...not a defensive end, or cornerback, or running back, and the cap hit then is $5 million a year as well.

The QB positional group will then be well over $26 million for three quarterbacks.

Simple fact of economics, to maintain a NFL team, a percentage of cap money has to be spread around all positional groups. Outside rushers, cornerbacks, top receivers, and high performance offensive linemen, all demand rather large amounts on the cap.

And the QB position is the most important position out there. Worst case scenario you suffer a small amount in the short run to have a legitimate long term QB. I won't just assume that Romo has any more than the next week left in him. 1 year would be pretty fortunate, 2 would be incredibly lucky, and 3 would winning the lottery.

I know that you are looking at the positive sides to taking what is considered a potential franchise quarterback, and reshuffling current status around. I have to agree, that as a fan, looks pretty tastey...but in a limited economy, I have to also consider long termed budget projections as well.

Who wouldn't like the bench that supported the likes of a Wentz or Goss? Shoot, no one...but look a little deeper as well. Once Rogers did push Farve out of the picture, was the status of the entire team looked at as well? That team hit a cap wall after about five seasons into that series of progressions. Have they re-established a dominating receiver corp the past season? Why not?

The were having to rob Peter to pay Paul...and bankruptcy hit the courts on cap hits.

Your snap shot for a progression of a single quarterback is true...funny although. It doesn't reincorporate a realistic picture of Tony sticking it out all the way to 2018, and the Cowboys being competitive playoff levels that only he can provide in this and probably the next two seasons as well. That is the course that the team is headed towards, and if not what the team intended, despite being responsible in free agency the past three seasons, then the team has point blank, been lying to it's fans and players. That one would then fall upon Jerry.

Not upon the likes of you or me for facts involved. If Dallas doesn't add change makers to DE, DT, CB, and a future RB...the circus won't reach the next town. It will have to then face squaring with creditors...the fans and players. It's what goes on upon the carpet now. In the past three seasons, the defenses fielded have been among the very worst in Cowboys history. Fix it, or the Cowboys need to just shut up and take their blows.

Assuming Tony plays that long is unrealistic.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Unmovable is a bit of an overstatement.

If you look at the cost of holding Romo's dead weight and paying the rookie QB something like $5M/year, the combined cost is still less than the current cost of having Romo on the roster. If he retires next year the combined cap charge for his dead money and the rookie would be $15.7M in 2017 and $13.9M in 2018. The charges for both years would be less than the charge the Bears are scheduled to take for Cutler, or the charge the 49ers are scheduled to take for Kaep.

Currently, Romo's charge for 2017 is $24.7M and it's $25.2 for 2018.

Furthermore, if Dallas can't afford to draft a QB then they can't afford to draft anyone because the contract is going to be the same regardless of who they pick. The rookie pay scale is perfect for grooming a QB. The prior pay scale made it impossible to even think about doing something like this with a pick this high. If Dallas hits on a QB at #4 they would have 2-3 years of good QB play at the cost of $5M/season. This offseason we saw Bradford go for $17.5M per year and Osweiler go for $18.5M per year. RG3 went for $7.5M himself. Even if Tony played 2 years, the Cowboys would have 2 rookie contract years and the 5th option year. Call it $20M for that 5th year. Looking at $30M total for 3 seasons of QB play so $10M/season, on average.

The drafted QB wouldn't even have to be all that good to still come out on top in terms of getting good returns on your dollars spent. The break even point would probably be somewhere around the 20th ranked QB, and 5 years from now it will undoubtedly be lower. $10M/year will be an absolute steal in 5 years for a QB who's just mediocre.

That isn't to say the article isn't right in some aspects. Having Tony retire or get cut will hurt. If Dallas drafts the QB and Tony retires after 2016, there's about $10M/year for the next 2 years that is doing nothing. That's 1 damn good player at any of a number of positions, or 2-3 solid starters. I can't even remember the number of times I saw various posters say that the Seahawks were competitive largely because they didn't have to pay market rate for their QB. Stuff like:
If that's the case, Dallas has a perfect opportunity to lay the foundation for a dominant team by getting a QB at a price that wouldn't be possible on the market. The ability is dampened relative to Seattle's based not only on draft position, but also on the fact that a player like Richard Sherman wold largely be covered for 2 years if only they had access to Tony's dead money. The point remains, the opportunity still exists.

There may be reasons to pass on a QB, but the cap damn sure isn't one of them. In fact, if all you could get out a QB at #4 was an average QB, you should heavily consider pulling the trigger. You'd essentially buy yourself 5 additional years to find a legitimate star at QB and all the while you'd be able to use more resources at other positions to help build the team. The Chiefs are competitive with Alex Smith. If you tell me I would get nothing less than a bus driver like Alex Smith, I'd take it in a heart beat because it would allow me to build around the QB position so once a more capable player is found everything is in place to contend for a title.

Smart post, but unfortunately deaf ears. I had this conversation with him and it doesn't matter. He refuses to listen to how the cap actually works and any explanation won't help even when facts are given. I was met with the same long winded tirade when explaining and even accused of the same wand waving. I even tried leading him to overthecap to see for himself. All I can say is Good Luck.